Post image for Soho-hum Burgers

Soho-hum Burgers

September 21, 2010 · 75 comments

The name Soho, in reference to the area of London, is apparently derived from both a former hunting cry and a rallying call for the Duke of Monmouth’s men at the Battle of Sedgemoor. It there makes perfect sense that on a chilly Monday night a couple of weeks ago, two friends and I found ourselves at Soho Burgers in Fremantle while hunting for food for mon mouth (and their mouths too).

We had already been thwarted in two attempts to feed ourselves that night. Firstly we decided to try out the new Missy Moos Burger Bar in South Fremantle, but after trying unsuccessfully to call them a number of times during the day I found on some obscure website that they are apparently not open on Mondays or Tuesdays.

No worries, we’ll get our burger fix at Flipside in North Fremantle! Off we drove, only to be greeted by a darkened, closed restaurant. Not open on Mondays either, apparently.

We figured that something should be open on the main strip of Freo so we just parked the car and started wandering to see what took our fancy, though by this stage we were getting a little disheartened and had visions of eating kebabs on the footpath. Walking up South Terrace we wistfully looked in the window of Dosukoi Japanese Noodle & Bubble Tea, willing it to somehow be open on a schoolnight but knowing that no amount of hungry stares could make it so.

Soho, men! Burgers this way!

Wandering a little further we came upon Soho Burgers, another relative newcomer to the Perth burger party. It was open. Hurrah! We would be eating burgers after all! Thanks Duke of Monmouth!

We were greeted at the door by a friendly waiter who wanted to sit us at a free table right at the door, but this is generally unpleasant so we asked for another table. He started to say there wasn’t another one, but we soon pointed one out and off we all headed. After sitting down we checked out our surroundings – the interior is an interesting combination of metal and wood. So interesting in fact that I failed to take any photos of it. I blame this on being too overcome with relief at finding somewhere actually serving food. If you’re interested you can check out the photos on their website.

The chairs were also interesting – big wide cushioned ones that made us feel like we were in a bowling club or a TAB. Sadly there were no platters of bowling club food on offer, so we started looking through the menu. Upon doing so, we noted that Soho Burgers is different to all the other new burger joints around in that it doesn’t just focus on burgers. They also have a range of starters, pizzas and grilled meats, and we noted that many fellow patrons were trying the pizzas.

Burger options at Soho

We focused our decision making processes on the burgers. All of the burgers are made using a “homemade bun” (“gluten free bun available for $1 extra subject to availability”) and served with lettuce & tomato, and I was very pleased to see that in addition to beef and steak burgers they also sell fish burgers, chicken burgers and a vegetarian option of “homemade bean & veggie patties made with chickpeas, red kidney beans, cous cous, lentils, oats & seasonal vegetables”.

My friends couldn’t go past the sound of those “homemade” veggie patties and ordered the Soho Veggie Deluxe (bean & vegie patty, avocado, fresh beetroot, cheddar cheese & homemade sweet chilli sauce $14.90) and the Veggie Veggie (bean & veggie patty, swiss cheese, roasted capsicum, fried onion, homemade spicy peri sauce & sour cream $15.70) burgers. I couldn’t decide between the Veggie Denman or a fish burger, but somehow ended up going with the Chicken Shroomer (grilled chicken breast, mushroom, caramelised onion & homemade coleslaw $17.90) which is a little odd as I’m not normally a fan of coleslaw but I had a strange craving for it.

We also ordered a bowl of chips to share ($7.50) which came with homemade tomato ketchup. By this stage I was beginning to wonder why they hadn’t called the place Soho Homemade Burgers (homemade!).

Bowl of chips with homemade tomato ketchup ($7.50)

Although not quite as crisp as I would prefer, the chips were piping hot when they came out and we were all happy to see they were still wearing their skin. According the the menu the “sweet tomato ketchup is made using fresh tomatoes, apples and a hint of ginger”, which sounds quite lovely but sadly did not reflect what was served to us. It tasted like a raw passata, in need of some loving by way of herbs and seasoning, and remained largely untouched after a few tastes. We hoped the other homemade elements would be of a higher standard.

Soho Veggie Deluxe - bean & vegie patty, avocado, fresh beetroot, cheddar cheese & homemade sweet chilli sauce ($14.90)

Veggie veggie - bean & veggie patty, swiss cheese, roasted capsicum, fried onion, homemade spicy peri sauce & sour cream ($15.70)

The girls liked their veggie burgers but didn’t love them. The patties themselves were mushy, for want of a more refined descriptor, and the burgers soon turned into messy messes in which the flavours were fighting the good fight against each other and getting lost in the process.

Chicken shroomer - grilled chicken breast, mushroom, caramelised onion & homemade coleslaw ($17.90)

I was fighting the good fight myself, struggling to eat my burger which was falling apart before I got started. The chicken was in two pieces and thus it was difficult to get it to stay inside the bun, which was not quite wide enough for the amount and sloppiness of the fillings. The bun was nicely toasted, which certainly helped, but the wetness of the coleslaw meant that the bottom bread was quickly soaked through and soggy. There’s only so much mopping up of sauce you can achieve with chips, try as I might. The chicken was moist and the flavours were nice enough, but not at all memorable.

Service throughout the night was very attentive – eager to take our orders and then coming to check we were enjoying our meals. They were reasonably busy as well, so I’m sure the service would also be good on a busy weekend.

Sadly however, the meals just weren’t great enough to warrant a return visit. The prices are also a few dollars more than my favourite burger purveyors Jus Burgers, so I can’t see myself heading back for a burger any time soon. It’s entirely possible that the other dishes are more enjoyable though, and we did see a number of pizzas going out to a large nearby table, so perhaps that’s the part of the menu to stick to if you find yourself hunting for food on a cold Monday night in Freo.

As we were leaving, one of my friends summed it up just perfectly – “well, we can’t have amazing meals every day”. Serves us right for following a puffy sleeved man into battle, rallying cry or not.

Soho Burgers

Address:                  16 South Terrace, Fremantle 6160
Phone:                      08 9430 7646
Opening Hours: Monday – Sunday, 11:30am – 9pm
Website:                   Soho Burgers
We paid:                   ~$20/head for burgers and chips

Soho Burgers on Urbanspoon

Matt C September 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

That patty looks so dry!

Conor September 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm

And yet, almost inexplicably, it was also super mushy. An impressive feat in itself.

Matt C September 21, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I do harbour a perverse affection for food that manages to be paradoxical in its badness.

Anyone can make a dry patty.
Anyone can make a mush patty.
But a mushy, dry patty? That takes some skill.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table September 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Soooooo, umm………….. are we still friends? *suddenly finding toes at the end of her feet so very intriguing*

Hmm. Guess it’s true – you can’t eat fab every day. What really strikes me is what massively messy meals those monsters must make :P
denise @ quickies on the dinner table´s last blog post ..Just Pointing in the General Direction

Conor September 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm

No coconut could ever come between us Denise. I can live with an open relationship if you can? I don’t care what people say!

Lovely alliteration. I must try and alliterate more in my posts. Or maybe start writing them in haiku. I like a bit of haiku.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table September 23, 2010 at 9:55 am

ROFL Conor – you crack me up!

Hmm, haiku hits heady heights , hurtling past my head …… oh phooey! *pftttt* I’m a limerick girl anyway :D

Ladybird September 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Oh shame… :(
But think of it this way, if we didn’t have the occasional not-so-great meal, how would we truly appreciate the fabulous ones?! :D
Ladybird´s last blog post ..Strawberry Shortcake

Conor September 21, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Exactly! Excellent point, Ladybird. Plus, it would have been terrible if I’d fallen madly in love with the burgers, as Fremantle is a lot further away from me than my current favourite burger joint.

penny aka jeroxie September 21, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Oh bummer! We can’t get it right everyday.
penny aka jeroxie´s last blog post ..Fresh seafood everywhere – Sydney Fish Market

Conor September 21, 2010 at 3:52 pm

We can keep trying though, right Penny? Every day has at least three possible rights!

Hannah September 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Ah, I see where you all went wrong. Cast your eyes down to the bottom of that photographed menu page, my darling Conor. See where it says Stilton, and dill pickles? Yep. That’s where you went wrong.

Also, I think you were supposed to put the chips *inside* the burgers. But just like we can’t have amazing meals every day, we also can’t all be as amazing as me everyday.
Hannah´s last blog post ..PB &amp J Nuts- An Impossible Dream

Conor September 21, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Wow Hannah, you’re right. In my defence I was very hungry and tired, but damn :(
I guess the real dill pickle is me.

I know, interior chips would have been the way to go but there just wasn’t room and the sogginess happened before I knew what was going on. It was all a bit too difficult. Luckily I made up for this with a tasty choc bomb at the movies afterwards, plus I somehow emerged after the movie with absolutely no spilled chocolate on my clothes!!!

Hannah September 21, 2010 at 5:29 pm

YOU DA BOMB!
Hannah´s last blog post ..PB &amp J Nuts- An Impossible Dream

Conor September 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm

The pickly bomb.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Oh what a shame about the burgers! :( So much hope there! And also it must have been a relief to find somewhere!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella´s last blog post ..Studio Cafe- Sydney Opera House &amp Date Nights

Conor September 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I know Lorraine, it really seemed like we could have been onto something great but it just didn’t hit the mark. At least our bellies were nicely filled to see us through the movie afterwards. Well, to see two of us through to our choc bombs anyway :)

Megan D September 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I’ve been meaning to try Grill’d in Mt Lawley. Have you been there yet? I’ve heard they’re not bad :)

Conor September 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Hey Megan, I’ve been meaning to go there pretty much since it opened but somehow haven’t done it yet. Actually, there are a few places in Mt Lawley that are on my list but remain strangely unpatronised by my belly. I need to fit more meals in the day.

Cakelaw September 21, 2010 at 5:45 pm

You learn something new every day – I had no idea why “Soho” was called “Soho” before. Despite the less than impressive burgers, as you say, at least it was somewhere to eat – it sounds as though Freo on a Monday night is a bit of a ghost town. Grill’d is pretty good, and cheaper than Soho.
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..TWD – Coffee-break muffins

Conor September 21, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Also Cakelaw, I didn’t realise that SoHo in NYC is called that because it’s south of Houston street. The cooler part of that story though is that it used to be called Hell’s Hundred Acres. Yeesh.
Gotta try Grill’d one of these days.

April @ My Food Trail September 21, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Those burgers look huge! Burger joints always make burgers so high I wonder whether anyone can fit it in their mouth without the filling dropping out the sides & making a big mess everywhere!

Good thing you have your regular burger joint!
April @ My Food Trail´s last blog post ..Dining Out- Thai Thai Restaurant- Hawthorn

Conor September 21, 2010 at 6:03 pm

April, it would be okay if they have enough width to them too to give you enough ammunition against the slippage of insides but alas this was not the case here. You just need to approach the eating mission knowing full well that a huge mess will be made, and embrace it with napkins at the ready.

Iron Chef Shellie September 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm

wowzers, dem burgers be humungus!
shame the food wasn’t good enough though… the ketchup sounded nice… mmm apples.
Iron Chef Shellie´s last blog post ..Eating Out- Treasure

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Nah Shellie, they’re just Conor sized!

bunkycooks September 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm

All the good places are closed on Mondays! Sorry that your food was a disappointment after the long hunt to find it. :(
bunkycooks´s last blog post ..Mountain Mondays

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Isn’t it always the way! Good reason to try some new places I guess, but hopefully they don’t all turn out like this.

5 Star Foodie September 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Sorry about the burgers being so disappointing here :(
5 Star Foodie´s last blog post ..Project Food Blog Challenge 1- Ready- Set- Blog!

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Thanks! Makes me appreciate the good ones even more :)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz September 21, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Same in Montreal, the hunt for the opened restaurant on a Monday night. They really should work on their food if they have service and decor going for them. Oh yeah that table at the door is such a no-no. Thanks for your vote!
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..Project Food Blog 2010 Voting Starts

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Well I guess I’m glad it’s not just here, Evelyne. Yep, it’s a shame because no matter how decent the decor and service, if the food isn’t up to scratch I won’t be returning!

Daniel@CocinaSavant September 21, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Sorry about not reading your amazing blog for a while. I always enjoy your insightful posts and excellent pictures. It is too bad you did not reach burger nirvana. Burgers are such a conundrum- anyone can make a mediocre one, but it takes real skill to execute an extraordinary one. But, I suppose the search for that golden burger keeps us searching.
Daniel@CocinaSavant´s last blog post ..Braising and Business

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Not a problem at all Daniel, but fabulous to have you back! Thanks so much :) Oooh a burger nirvana sounds wonderful, I think my favourite burger bar just about gets me there! Still, I can’t help but continue searching…

Pam September 21, 2010 at 11:12 pm

It’s a bummer that you didn’t love the food but at least you found a restaurant that was actually open.

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Pam, too true. Some mediocre food is much better than no food.

Maria @ ScandiFoodie September 22, 2010 at 3:08 am

It’s always so disappointing when you don’t end up enjoying a meal you paid for! At least the burgers are BIG!
Maria @ ScandiFoodie´s last blog post ..My Tribute to NOMA – Golden Beets with Goat Cheese and Walnuts

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I have to agree, Maria! But yes, we certainly did not leave at all hungry which was a good bonus :)

Jess September 22, 2010 at 3:18 am

Such a shame, there is nothing worse than a crap burger. The chips look nice..
Jess´s last blog post ..Crust Pizza

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Totally, Jess, especially when you know how good a good one can be! And even more so when you can make a better one yourself.

Nancy/ Spicie Foodie September 22, 2010 at 6:11 am

Those are monster burgers :) They look delicious, I would go for one of the veggie versions.
Nancy/ Spicie Foodie´s last blog post ..Kuri Squash Corn Muffins and the Official Start of Autumn 2010

Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 22, 2010 at 6:13 am

Oops I hit submit before finishing, Sorry to hear that you didn’t like yours. That’s horrible when food looks much better than it taste.
Nancy/SpicieFoodie´s last blog post ..Kuri Squash Corn Muffins and the Official Start of Autumn 2010

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm

The vegie ones sounded so great, it was doubly disappointing then that they weren’t quite up to scratch. I agree.. I’d rather eat something ugly that tastes amazing!

Simply Life September 22, 2010 at 7:56 am

Great review!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Prosciutto and Smoked Gouda Pizza!

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Thank you!

GourmetGetaways September 22, 2010 at 8:17 am

They looked so tasty though :( … and sounded like they should be good. What a bummer. I can’t imagine how you ate them… very messy! Nevermind there is always another meal to come :)

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I know, doubly disappointing when the looks are greater than the taste! Super messy, I should have taken some photos of the process.
Yes, another meal very soon actually. Dinnertime, oh yeah!

OohLookBel September 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I say, the ol’ Duke looks very dashing, what? He must have had a valet to do the hair, though…
And re. the burgers – at least the names are cute!
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Introducing Ooh- Look CRAFT

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Ol Dukey boy does indeed. I hope he has a man to do the fighting for him as well, he looks a little soft!

MaryMoh September 22, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Love the first picture of burger…looks very delicious. But so sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your chicken burger. I don’t think I like the look of the chips. They look soft to me. I think it’s hard to have great food and great service when eating out.
MaryMoh´s last blog post ..Baileys Coffee Ice Cream Float

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Mary, you’re right about the chips – not quite up there and too soft, but not too bad either.

Emma @CakeMistress September 22, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Bleugh. The veggie patties sound yuk. It’s amazing how hard it is to find a good one!

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Isn’t it just, Emma! At least many places have moved beyond those AWFUL frozen ones filled with peas and diced carrot and corn and weird unidentifiable filler, but it is still a real task to find good ones. I guess we just keep hunting, right?

pachecopatty September 22, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Well it sounds as if you’ve learned a valuable lesson here to never follow a man with puffy sleeves into battle because there’s no sense fighting over mediocre burgers and so so chips, although everything photographed quite nicely;)

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Patty, I can’t believe I even entertained the thought that following said man would be a good idea. If there’s no sense fighting over spilt milk, then you’re definitely right about the burgers and chips. Next time I’ll be more discerning about who I’ll blindly follow.

Adrian September 22, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Hear, hear! Looking at it, I agree on Jus Burgers.

Though is it just me or are there burger places opening up everywhere of late?
Adrian´s last blog post ..Nao Japanese Restaurant- Perth

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Adrian. It’s not just you, they’re popping up like mushrooms (I don’t think that’s a proper saying but it’s a nice thing to imagine). Still quite a few our there I’m yet to try, I wonder if any of them will knock Jus off my number one spot?

Andrea@High/Low September 23, 2010 at 4:36 am

Wow those burgers looks huge! Too bad they didn’t taste that great – especially after the frustration in finding somewhere that was open!
Andrea@High/Low´s last blog post ..Town Hall Brewery – Craft Brewpub in Minneapolis

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Oh well Andrea, at least a full belly is better than an empty one so it wasn’t a total loss :)

Velva September 24, 2010 at 2:32 am

Mushy and soggy, is no way to enjoy a good burger. It’s always a disappointment when you are on the hunt for something good or new and it does not pan out. Still you enjoyed friends and family, this always good.

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Yes Velva, I hate not being rewarded for venturing to pastures new. It won’t stop me in the future, but it’s still a disappointment. You are right though, we still had a good time :)

Bryt September 25, 2010 at 4:32 am

you know, I haven’t actually tried any burgers in Freo. But it’s easy to eat your way through, with all the food choices they have.

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I’m pretty clueless in general about food options in Freo as I don’t go there very often, but I do want to get down to Missy Moos at some stage to try their burgers. And definitely Dosukoi to try their ramen! That’s been on my list for ages.

Food lover September 25, 2010 at 6:43 am

Hi Conor
I hate it when a burger is so big you can’t actually hold it properly and eat it! At least the chips looked really nice

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm

To get around the too-big problem I generally cut it in half and try and tackle a half at a time, but then the other half always totally falls apart while you’re eating the first one and you’re still left with something too tall to bite properly. Oh the trials of modern life ;)

Linda's Yummies September 26, 2010 at 5:38 am

What a luscious looking burger is what I thought at first. Nice and fat and piled high with greens. How disappointing… I would’ve gone for pizza afterward :)
Linda’s Yummies´s last blog post ..Shrimp Pesto Pasta

Conor September 26, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Sadly deceptive, Linda! I think you’re right. Perhaps we should have swapped our plates with the pizza plates of our neighbouring table while they weren’t looking.

Emma September 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

this post took me on such an emotional rollercoaster – firstly I hoped against hope that you would find something delcious in our fair city on a monday; then I was taken by surprise as I saw several vegie options on the menu; jealousy overcame me, wishing I was eating a burger for lunch; then a wave of disappointment as I read of the mediocrity you were subjected to. Finally, the ride ended, as it began, hopeful of a good burger experience in the future – I have heard great things about missy moos :)

Conor September 27, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Glad to have you along for the ride, Emma! :) It was quite a rollercoaster for us too, as you can imagine, but at least when it was all over we had full bellies (unlike some people when they get a little ambitious with their rollercoaster choice).
Yes, determined to get to Missy Moos before too long. Freo isn’t _that_ far away!

tasteofbeirut September 27, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Your review reminds me why I don’t go out that much anymore; more than half the time, it is a rather disappointing! But the one good thing I notice about this burger is its size and height. Impressive!

Conor September 27, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Those good experiences just keep me going out and trying though! Yes, although I wasn’t too happy about paying good money for something that wasn’t fantastic, at least we got a decent amount of food to keep us going through the movie :)

Cajun Chef Ryan September 28, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Wow, $20 for a burger, that is a bit much for my wallet. We average less than 1/2 that for a really good burger here, but if it filled you up, then that is good right!

Bon appetit!
CCR
=:~)

Conor September 29, 2010 at 10:58 am

I agree CCR, it’s too much to pay when you’re not happy with the quality but at least there was no insult to injury with being still hungry afterwards! I guess one bonus here is that taxes are always included in the prices, and we don’t tip, but it’s still pretty steep.

Meggy September 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

Did your burger have browned lettuce on it?
I certainly wouldnt be impressed by paying those prices for browned lettuce on a soggy burger!
V Burgers are my thing atm

Conor September 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

Hey Meggy, just had another look at the photo and there does seem to be a little bit of brown on the end! I haven’t made it to V yet but it’s another place I’ve heard good things about. I foresee a lot of burger eating this summer.

pierre October 3, 2010 at 12:46 am

i am not a big mouth but this one is for me !Pierre
pierre´s last blog post ..Fenouil-mozzarella-sésame dune part- calamar-gressin dautre part

Conor October 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Really, Pierre? What about a medium mouth?