Post image for An Old Friend and a New Addiction

An Old Friend and a New Addiction

October 20, 2010 · 91 comments

In the words of many a good wedding MC, before we get stuck into the food there is a bit of housekeeping to attend to..

Firstly, I have recently been interviewed by the lovely Annette of Wellness WA, a great resource for all things health, beauty and wellbeing in Western Australia. If you want to read my highly articulate and witty responses (ahem) then follow this link, my pretties!

Secondly, there is just over a week left of voting in the King of Fruit recipe competition. If  you haven’t voted for my ice cream I would be ever so happy if you did! (the confirmation email the website sends generally ends up in your spam folder, and the website doesn’t seem to like gmail accounts very much, for what it’s worth)

Finally, the toilets are up the back next to the cake table and watch out for Uncle Tony, he can get a bit fresh when he’s had a skinful.

When my friend V asked me the other day if I knew about the farmers markets on in Subiaco, I realised just how long it has been since I last visited them. V and I talk a lot about food, and if I hadn’t mentioned the markets during our many recent chats then I clearly had let too much time pass between visits. We rectified this last Saturday.

Upon our arrival there was no time for reminiscing about how much it has grown since my previous reviews last October and November. Both of us had saved our breakfast bellies for the visit and we quickly assessed our options. I had talked up the Diablo’s Oven calzones to V, but of course this meant that they weren’t here on this particular day. Both wanting something savoury to appease our calzone-hungry senses, we both settled on a Sunny Side Up Breakfast Burger and  coffee.

Sunnyside Up Breakfast Burgers, now with free chance to win $2!

When our burgers were ready, we sauced them up using the large jar of relish which we were told may possibly contain an errant $2 coin that was lost earlier in the morning. We told ourselves that the coin was a nice fresh one straight from the Reserve Bank and not an old manky one from Timezone and dove bravely in, but neither of us hit the jackpot with our generous scoops.

I was disappointed with the burger bun as I really would have preferred a wholemeal or grain option, and I found mine to be a little dry though this was helped with the addition of the delicious relish. Despite the bread issue our burgers were a great start to the day, with yolks still runny enough to add a nice burst of gold to the burger innards, and after finishing our coffees in the warm morning sunshine we felt energised to explore the rest of the market (which still has as good a vibe as I remember from previous visits ).

Luke & Pat’s coffee; nuts at Tembo Fine Foods; Sunnydale Dairy; Bouverie Trout & Marron Farm smoked delights

We both fell madly in love with the Rosemary & Cointreau Macadamia Nuts at Tembo Fine Foods. A fabulous flavour combination, and V remarked how well they would go with pork. I had to buy a bag of them with the intention of putting them in a certain family member’s Christmas stocking, but it’s entirely possible that by “a certain family member’s” I mean “my”, and by “Christmas stocking” I mean “belly”.

Tom the Greek (top) and Artisan Organic Food croissants (bottom)

Although market manager Sally had told us we should try some of the delights at Tom the Greek and Artisan Organic Foods, and they did indeed look worthy of her praise, we were still digesting our burgers and thought we’d save these for the next visit. It’s always the problem with such places – so much good food competing for limited stomach space.

The Mushroom Man

I often think back to a sign that could be found in my Dad’s work office when I was little, that said “I’m a mushroom – kept in the dark and fed nothing but bullshit” and although I didn’t really understand it back then, I loved it because it had a naughty word in it.

It was a rare treat to hang out at Dad’s work after being picked from primary school when Mum was too busy – there was an element of danger that he would forget about me and I’d have to walk all the way up to the office and get them to ring him; we would usually call past the deli on the way back to his work and pick up some sort of delicious treat; and then I’d get to read naughty signs and play with the guard dogs or on his big calculator THAT PRINTED THE NUMBERS ON PAPER!!

Sadly there was none of this excitement when we came across the mushroom stall at the market. They only had button, field and portabello varieties. They did look very nice but I was hoping for some more exotic options.

Vegies galore!

We then found ourselves in the land of fruits and vegetables and started filling our bags with little regard for how heavy they would be. There was a lot of gorgeous spring produce, including the weird spherical avocados in the photo above – I’ve never seen avocado spheres before, am I just ignorant in the ways of the avocado? Is this normal?

As we made our way towards the end of the vegetable section, we saw it. Fresh organic kale from Hamel Homegrown Organics. Everyone is talking kale right now, particularly oven baked kale chips. It’s the crack of the vegetable world.

Just one bunch couldn’t hurt, could it? Yes, I’d just try it once and that would be the end of it. A quiet word and exchanging of cash later and a bunch had made its way into my bag. We scurried off as casually as we could, but our attempts to try and lose ourselves in the crowd of non-crack-vegetable laden shoppers was soon thwarted by the sight of Le Crêpe House. Throwing caution to the wind we decided to delay our getaway and have second breakfasts. We both ordered mushroom crêpes ($10) but I changed mine to berry & apple with crème anglaise ($10) after seeing one.

Mushroom Crêpe and Berry, apple & crème anglaise crêpe (both $10) from Le Crêpe House

We ate our second breakfasts in the dappled sunlight under a big tree, and although they may not look it in my photos the crêpes were fantastic. Thin crêpes with just the right amount of chewiness, and I was almost regretful at changing my mind after tasting V’s mushroom filling. After getting stuck into mine though, I knew I had indeed made the right choice.

Our relaxing was soon cut short at the sight of a beagle. They were onto us! Luckily he got distracted by the Barkers Dog Treats stall and we made good our getaway, the contraband burning holes in our bags and Beverly Hills Cop theme playing in our heads as we hightailed it.

Just one won’t hurt…

Being sure to lock the front door tightly when I got home, and lighting some incense to disguise any incriminating smells, I soon got busy preparing the mild mannered vegetable for it’s transformation into CracKale..

CracKale

Ingredients

• Bunch of kale
  • Oil of choice (I use coconut oil in an aerosol spray)
  • Tasty vinegar such as apple cider
  • Coarsely ground salt (kosher salt, sea salt)
  • Other seasonings of choice – try garlic flakes, chilli flakes, spices, herbs, or even parmesan cheese

Method

1. Preheat oven to 140-150 degrees C (300 F).

2. Strip all kale leaves from the stalks and cut the larger ones into chip-size pieces.

3. Clean and dry leaves thoroughly. A salad spinner is ideal for this.

4. Toss the leaves with a decent splash of vinegar, then spread them in a single layer on enough oven trays (I put baking paper on my trays first). I then spray the leaves with the coconut oil, then sprinkle over the salt and any other seasoning. If you’re not using an aerosol can of oil, just toss the oil through with the vinegar.

5. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp. Keep an eye on it, you don’t want really want it to brown or it will start to turn bitter.

6. Best eaten while standing at the oven, shovelling them in until they’re all gone. If for some reason you don’t eat every last scrap in one sitting, you can store them in an airtight container – if you didn’t quite cook them long enough and they soften, you can just re-crisp them in a warm oven.

CracKale

If you don’t hear from me for a while, it’s because I’ve hocked my computer to buy more kale. I should have listened when they said silverbeet was a gateway vegetable.

Christine@Christine's Recipes October 20, 2010 at 9:11 pm

You had two breakfasts in a row. Yum :)
Those veggies in the farmers market were very fresh and crisp. Were the prices competitive to those in supermarkets?
Christine@Christine’s Recipes´s last blog post ..Butter Prawns

Conor October 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Christine, I think every day should have two breakfasts! Plus dessert :D
The prices were very competitive compared to the supermarket, and the quality was just so great. It’s also great to have such a wide range of veges in the one location as well, and nice to support the local growers directly!

panamahat October 20, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Great post Conor! You can always get Kale at my place without having to hock your computer. I grow curly kale and Tuscan Black, and have just put in some Russian Red. I would say “You’re welcome anytime for a visit” but I am now booked up until mid-January 2011…

Conor October 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Thanks! :) Oh god, in my mind your garden is like the Garden of Eden, with all the seasonal joys I can possibly imagine. I am sure it actually is like this in real life (though perhaps without Adam and Eve, though I’m sure there’s a snake or two hiding around!).

It’s my own damn fault for not coming up earlier, and now I’m booked out until then as well! I’m going to jump the gun and make an early new year’s resolution to come visit you before it gets cold next year. Watch this space!

Simply Life October 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Oh wow! This looks like a GREAT farmer’s market!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..My First Poached Egg!

Conor October 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm

It really is fantastic. Just feels lovely to visit.

Pachecopatty October 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Can’t think of a better way to spend the morning perusing and eating my way through a farmers market especially one in your neck of the woods, so exotic and delicious. I want that breakfast burger, how about enjoying it open faced, less dry bun to contend with but then all that yummy egg yolk needs to be contained between the buns, I guess. Have a great week;)

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:36 am

Patty you’re so right, it’s such a great way to spend a morning with a friend! Very good idea about trying it open faced – I could still contain the yolk by putting the bacon on top. See, I need you to come with me to the markets to tell me these things! You too :)

Katerina October 21, 2010 at 12:21 am

This is a great farmers market. Did I see Greek things or it was my imagination?

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

Yes Katerina you sure did! There’s a stall called “Tom the Greek” and they were selling hot pita, paximathya, kourambiedes and walnut & syrup cake. Everything looked lovely but we didn’t try anything – will definitely do so next time though!

Maria @ Scandi Foodie October 21, 2010 at 1:29 am

Gosh how I love the markets! My ideal of a perfect world would be that I could buy all my groceries from the local organic markets! Kale chips are so yummy, and so easy to make at home, great recipe!
Maria @ Scandi Foodie´s last blog post ..Matcha Spelt Crepes with Edamole

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:41 am

Me too, Maria! Shopping would then be a fun experience instead of getting annoyed with dawdlers under fluorescent lighting. So in love with kale chips, omg.

Pam October 21, 2010 at 2:19 am

There is nothing better than strolling through a farmers market. I am drooling over your breakfast burger – it’s too bad you bun was a bit dry. Your cracKale sounds AMAZING!
Pam´s last blog post ..Peanut Butter Chocolate Kiss Cookies

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

It’s especially fun when you’re in a new town, Pam, I find! Although, then you are struck with the problem of not really being able to buy much if you’re travelling. Thanks, it’s so addictive!

A Canadian Foodie October 21, 2010 at 2:44 am

OK – YUMMERS! I voted. I love roasted pineapple – and I am with you, on the coconut (almost!!!). I just finished making 6 ice creams for mom and dad’s 60th anniversary – why ice cream in November, I do not know. So, I made mincemeat, pumpkin, salted caramel, hazelnut nougat, chocolate and vanilla. Your recipe is the same base as the one I used proportionately. I would love this and so would my husband, father… and, well… anyone with a mautre and sophisticated palate. I voted. YOu deserve to win!
Valerie

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

Thanks so much Valeria, I really appreciate it! Good grief, 6 ice creams is almost impressive as a 60th anniversary! Those flavours sound amazing. I’m very much a newbie when it comes to ice cream making, and have only made a very small handful of flavours so far, so I’ll probably be taking some inspiration from you :)

A Canadian Foodie October 21, 2010 at 2:49 am

Sorry – I think I did this while here last time – commented on the wrong button and the comment went under the wrong post… Anyway. love farmer’s markets too. They are the best…. especially in the morning under the dappled blue sky… :) but, I have never eated kale chips. I have heard how addictive they are… so, I just have not gone there yet.
Valerie
A Canadian Foodie´s last blog post ..Homemade Turkey Soup

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:46 am

No problem, I’m sure we’ve all done it before! The weather here right now is so perfect for farmers market visits, though as summer comes along it will be a good incentive to get down there nice and early before the baking sun gets too unbearable. Unless you have a good source of kale, it may be best not to go there with the chips as it’s definitely an addictive substance.

Gourmetgetaways October 21, 2010 at 5:10 am

Two breakys is awesome!! I have been loving berries at the moment so your pancake looks divine!

I loved your housekkeping comments, at our wedding the MC reminded hubby “Happy wife, Happy life” I would be a happy wife with a face full of berries!

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:47 am

I couldn’t NOT get the berry one once I saw someone else’s being made, it looked so good! Berries are only going to get better and better from now on, hooray for summer! :D

Haha, I guess your husband knows how to keep you happy then ;)

Cakelaw October 21, 2010 at 5:33 am

Congrats on the interview! Thanks for this fun visit to Subiaco markets – loved it. LOL at the “little mushroom” sign – don’t we know it!
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..Pork Roast with Mango and Lychees

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

Thanks Cakelaw! It was fun to do, though it’s always a bit weird having to think about yourself in detail to answer such things. Hehe, that little mushroom sign is sadly too true for many of us in certain situations.

mademoiselle délicieuse October 21, 2010 at 6:18 am

Beverly Hills Cop theme, haha! Only if you both had those zip-up, sports-type jackets from the 80s…or maybe hammer pants? =D

Saw those spherical avocadoes for the first time myself a month or so ago. Apparently the variety is called “reed”.

And your interview was in your usual witty style and a great read =)
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Sugar Hit- Shangri-La- 15 Oct 2010

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:51 am

Oh yes, mademoiselle délicieuse, you are SO onto it! Those jackets would have been perfect, especially with hammer pants. Although… not so sure it would have helped with the whole remaining inconspicuous thing. Not a great deal of 80s jackets and hammer pants at the farmers markets, I must say.

Ahh, thanks for the avocado lesson! I shall sound very knowledgeable at the next market visit.

And thanks very much :D

Meggy October 21, 2010 at 8:10 am

Kale Chips are like some weird kind of mirage in a dessert of carbs.
tasty, gluten free, low carb, healthy addiction

Cannot go wrong!

Conor October 21, 2010 at 8:52 am

Meggy, that is the perfect descriptor for them. A beautiful, perfect mirage that doesn’t make sense and I’m waiting for it to vanish *poof*

While I’m waiting I’ll just sit over here… munching…..

Heather October 21, 2010 at 10:38 am

Ooo I just love the Subi farmers market! I try to go every week – and yes, specifically for that beautiful organic kale! Last time I went I bought two bunches of kale and had a lovely chat to the girl at the stall (like usual), then after circling the markets I went back and bought another two bunches…then after chilling on the steps listening to the music for a bit I decided to go back and get another bunch hahaha! Just for good measure. I seem to do this every week and now when I approach the stall the nice girl there says “here comes the kale-lover”! I will keep an eye out for that beagle next time as I think they will be on to me…I’m not very subtle am I? Definitely a kale-addict here – we should start a KA group – “Kaleoholics Anonymous” :P Anddd can you believe I haven’t tried making kale chips before?! I will definitely be doing it soon! I usually eat my kale lightly steamed and covered in umeboshi vinegar and sesame seeds yummmm!

Conor October 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Five bunches on one day, Heather?!?!! I think you deserve to be Captain of KA. Still, I really shouldn’t speak too soon.. I can feel a mega kale purchase coming on this weekend too :D

Lightly steamed with umeboshi vinegar and sesame seeds sounds divine. Perhaps with some kale chips sprinkled on top? And a glass of kale juice on the side. With kale ice cream for dessert.

Heather October 22, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Haha I would SO try kale icecream!! And would you believe I BOUGHT a bag of Loving Earth Kale chips a few weeks ago and had them sitting in my cupboard uneaten?! After reading your post I proceeded to devour the entire bag o_O hehe. Delicious!! I can only imagine homemade kale chips would be even more moreish. And actually, I really like your idea of sprinkling kale chips over steamed kale! If we’re gonna get high on kale might as well go all the way right?

And ahh…if kale stocks are running low at the markets tomorrow I might have to wrestle you for them – or start a bidding war :P
Although, in my experience that wonderful stall seems to have never-ending bunches of them – I mean seriously, how many cracKale addicts are they supplying here??

Conor October 22, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Oh dear, it’s been many years since I have wrestled anyone! My sister and I used to have wrestling matches on Mum and Dad’s bed. You would start in your corner, and one person would announce the round number and ring the pretend bell and then it would be on! I’ll have to stay up all night practicing now.

Never-ending bunches of kale… oh what a delicious thought. Like that packet of Tim Tams that never runs out, but without the annoying woman or the genie.

I’m surprised Today Tonight haven’t cottoned on to this dealing ring.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table October 21, 2010 at 10:57 am

Oooh! Twice, first thing in the morning!!! You naughty girl, you!!! ;) I agree – a grainy bun would have done that burger more justice! What fun for the both of you! Wish they had markets like that over here *sigh* I think I need to make a return trip to Perth – seems like a lot has changes since 2001…

Love your crackale…….especially with a cold Coopers!

Conor October 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Oh Denise I do declare the naughty girl is you! Yes, twice in the morning with a non-grainy bun ;)

YES! Come visit, the food scene has changed a lot in the last 10 years! I’ll put the Coopers in the fridge ready for your arrival!

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz October 21, 2010 at 11:02 am

Love the mushroom comment! Two breakies eh? Sounds good to me! OK never heard of kale crack chips yet. Can,t wait for my winter to start and be over to visit the farmer’s market anew.
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..Chocolate Coconut Cake

Conor October 21, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Oh dear Evelyne, you can’t be wishing for winter to be over just yet! But just remember, if the cold gets too hard, just console yourself with a double breakfast. There’s little that can’t be made better with two breakfasts.

penny aka jeroxie October 21, 2010 at 11:52 am

kale chips… i think i might get hooked and turn green
penny aka jeroxie´s last blog post ..Melbourne Food Bloggers’ Dinner – Are you coming

Conor October 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Penny, if you did then you’d match your friends who would be green with envy ;)

Hannah October 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Isn’t it?! Isn’t it just?! Actually, the main reason I’ve stopped going to the farmers market is because I know I’m powerless before the lure of ridonkulously expensive kale. So instead, I’m buying unethical corporate EVIL produce, all because of kale. It’s the devil! CracKale devil!

… Conor? I feel sad right now.
Hannah´s last blog post ..Cadbury Top Deck Chocolate- in Haiku Form with Social Commentary

Conor October 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Kale just wants to make you happy. Kale is your friend. All hail the kale!

(I totally haven’t been brainwashed, honest, it’s not just the kale talking. The green, crispy kale, fresh from the oven, winking at me with its crunchy, crunchy eyes)

Annette @ Wellness WA October 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yay! Your interview was a delight to read.

Also, I’m going to have to try these Kale Chippies. YUM.

How good are all the dogs at the Subi Markets? I’m going this Saturday with a friend!

Last time I was there I mauled a pleasant golden retriever & perved on like 6 other gorgeous pups.

Loveeee it!
Annette @ Wellness WA´s last blog post ..Beauty &amp Wellbeing Routine- Conor Mines- Perth Food Blogger

Conor October 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Annette!!!

They’re a super healthy snack, which I failed to mention in the post. About a gazillionth of the calories in normal chips, and surely they retain some nutrition even after the roasting.

I think I’ll be there this weekend too, I’ll look for the dog mauling to find you :)

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Conor, I am glad you paired your kale chips with a Coopers because all over the blog world people are lauding these as a “potato chip alternative” with far less calories. You eat them because they’re delicious right, not because of the less calories ;-)

What a FAB post all about the market. Made me feel (and wish) like I was there :-)
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..Les Petits Chefs do Healthy Mac and Cheese

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Haha, thanks Mardi! That Coopers was the most hard earned beer I’ve had in a long time – I enjoyed it after spending a good couple of hours on a warm afternoon getting my poor neglected garden in order. Including, I might add, a little kale plant!

Wish you were here too. I am enjoying a bit of extra springtime just for you.

Adrian @ Food Rehab October 21, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Geeze, check out all them croissants. I go weak at farmer’s markets. I get attached to organic jams, fresh breads, cheese and the cheese tastings! LOL

Congrats on the interview :)
Adrian @ Food Rehab´s last blog post ..Behind The Scenes at David’s Restaurant &amp Redbean Kitchen A Giveaway

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Adrian, I think I might be checking them out with my belly tomorrow morning. Oh man, you just made me realise I didn’t taste any cheeses on this visit! Must see to that tomorrow as well!

Thanks :)

Ladybird October 21, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Gotta love progressive eating at markets – looks great! :) ps- congrats on the interview x
Ladybird´s last blog post ..Degustation brunch at Rubyos- Newtown

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Progressive eating, yes! That’s the perfect term for it. I went for a nice long run beforehand too, so my stomach was fully primed for action. Bring on tomorrow morning!

Arwen from Hoglet K October 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I love the story about the mushroom, and ooh those crepes look wonderful! I like the way you’ve managed to turn greens into crisps too.

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Thank you Arwen! I just wish I still had some crisps left over. There had better be kale still available at the markets tomorrow, or they may be a scene.

Heather October 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Haha this made me laugh!!

Conor October 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Heather, I’ll be ready for you tomorrow! Well, after I’ve eaten my (first) breakfast I will be, anyway.

Andrea@High/Low October 21, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Love Kale! There are so many varieties of them, but we generally just saute them with olive oil and garlic. I’ve been wanting to try kale chips too. Btw, seeing your sunnyside burger on an empty stomach is not a good idea! Must go eat lunch now!
Andrea@High/Low´s last blog post ..Easy Entertaining DIY Cupcake Wrappers

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Andrea, I’m really very ignorant in the ways of the kale. I was so happy to see this variety, I won’t hold my breath about finding any more. I think a basic sauté would be lovely too. It’s amazing just how enormous a volume of greens you can eat in this manner (or is that just me?)

Heather October 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Yes I totally agree! Hence the 5 bunches (sometimes more) in a week…(sorry for butting in) :P

Karen Harris October 22, 2010 at 1:45 am

I will definitely be trying the kale chips. My healthy eating daughter will be home from uni this weekend and this just might impress her.

I must confess after reading about your dad picking you up from school and the element of danger associated with it, that moms are not always perfect either. When my son was very young, on two different occasions, I told him I would bring him lunch so he wouldn’t have to eat the gruel from the cafeteria. Well, on both occasions, his lunch completely slipped my mind and he was left to watch the other children eat, hoping I would show up soon with his food, which I never did (ugh!). Upon realizing I had done it again the second time, I took him out of school and we spent the afternoon eating at his favorite restaurant complete with 2 puddings. He now says that is one of his favorite memories. I thought I was a failure, he thought I was fun. You see it’s not just dads, there can also be an element of danger with moms too!
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..People of Wal-Mart and a New Giveaway

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Please do! If she’s not impressed then she’s just pretending not to be.

Oh Karen, isn’t it funny how both children and parents carry these guilty thoughts through their lives? I am sure that in many cases the incident/s that one party is feeling guilty about either has been forgotten by the other party, or they remember it entirely differently. Again your stories have made me feel better about my typical badnesses as a child/teenager. Maybe next time I feel bad about being a petulant child to my Mum I can take her out for lunch with 2 puddings :)

My Restaurants Melbourne October 22, 2010 at 9:31 am

what a great event!! the sunny side up burgers look a treat

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Thank you, I agree so much that I’m going back tomorrow! :)

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager October 22, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Gawd. I need some of that CracKale. Now. *twitch*
Forager @ The Gourmet Forager´s last blog post ..So hungry I could eat horse meat

Conor October 26, 2010 at 1:06 am

I’m glad it’s not just me who’s got the old CracKale twitch going on. People are starting to talk.

Emma @cakeMistress October 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Why have I not heard of kale until now??? Clearly missing out, especially if it’s like crack. Quite possibly the only way to get green leafy vegetables in me

Conor October 26, 2010 at 1:08 am

Emma if you don’t like this form of leafy green vegetables then there’s no hope for you. Well, no leafy green vegetable hope, anyway. I would like to think there would still be hope in general for you :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Now this is the oddest thing. I’m sure I commented something along the lines that I am addicted to kale chips like crack. Perhaps the spam blocker has got “crack” on censor! :P
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella´s last blog post ..Cotton Duck- Surry Hills

Conor October 26, 2010 at 1:11 am

You sure did, Lorraine, but somehow the comment ended up going on one of the images and not on this actual post! Thanks for coming back for more comment love :)

Karen Harris October 26, 2010 at 3:28 am

Tried the kale chips this weekend and they were a huge hit. Just because I thought they might be a bit too healthy, we dusted them with a little herb and bleu cheese sprinkle and they were delicious. Thanks for the recipe Conor!
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..People of Wal-Mart and a New Giveaway

Conor October 26, 2010 at 10:19 am

That’s so good to hear Karen! I was actually thinking about you over the weekend and wondered if the chips had made an appearance. I think adding a herb and bleu cheese sprinkle sounds so good I may have to copy you. Any excuse to add blue cheese into my life sounds like a good thing. I would also like to imagine you pairing the chips with a nice glass of something bubbly :D

Iron Chef Shellie October 26, 2010 at 6:51 pm

this reminds me, I’m well over due to visit a farmer’s market! I must get onto that STAT!
Iron Chef Shellie´s last blog post ..Cooking the Books the first gathering of cookbook addicts

Conor October 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

Yes Shellie, chop chop! I won’t hear any excuses about being too busy making meatballs or dusting your enormous cookbook collection.

Juliana October 27, 2010 at 7:58 am

Wow, what a nice farmer’s market…love the pictures…they are so colorful with all the goodies :-)

Conor October 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

Thanks Juliana, it really is a great place to visit. Sadly we got there a bit late this week and missed a lot of the produce! Might have also been due to spending too much time eating breakfast there ;)

cheffresco October 27, 2010 at 8:57 am

Yum! I’ve seen a recipe kind of like this before and completely forgot about it. Definitely need to give it a try!

Conor October 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

Can’t recommend it enough, Cheffresco! I made some more the other day and got them even crispier. Well worth the subsequent bits stuck in your teeth :)

Katherine October 27, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Farmers markets are so cool. I wish there was one near my area. I would spend every weekend cooking up fresh produce. Its just a mecca for delicious fresh food. I like our Crackale recipe. To be honest I have only ever tried Kale a few times. Thanks for inspiring me to give it another Crack. Get it… ahahahahhaa
Katherine´s last blog post ..A Halloween Treat Buko Pandan

Conor October 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Katherine! I wish I had one in walking distance, but I really can’t complain too much as I have pretty much everything else you can imagine within walking distance. Would probably do myself some damage trying to carry all the purchases home anyway! Ahaha you dag ;)

cheffresco October 28, 2010 at 6:11 am

P.S. – I voted for your ice cream! Hope you win!

Conor October 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thank you thank you!

Nancy/ Spicie Foodie October 28, 2010 at 6:51 am

Hi Connor,
The market look like a lot of fun, I would eat several times :) CracKale is something I have to try, thanks for the recipe. I’ll stop by your interview and for voting. Also wanted to tell you I have an award for you. If you would like to accept it please stop by. Thanks
Nancy/ Spicie Foodie´s last blog post ..An Award A Game and and Update

Conor October 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hi Nancy! Thanks for your comments and thanks so much for the award! Very sweet of you :D :D Looking forward to the very first YBR, “see you” on Sunday :)

Magic of Spice October 29, 2010 at 7:25 am

CracKale…hillarious :) Looks like a great market…I may want to marry Mushroom Man, lol
I have already voted my dear, but excited to read your interview :)
Magic of Spice´s last blog post ..Whats for Snack Time – Whole Foods Shopping and Tagged Im It

Conor October 29, 2010 at 9:41 am

Haha, I’ll let Mushroom Man know tomorrow when I’m there! If I take a print out of some of your recipes I think he’ll be jumping at the chance.
Thanks so much for voting, and for your comments on the interview too :)

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge October 29, 2010 at 8:34 am

lol, CracKale…love it! Must admit I am pretty partial to black kale or Tuscan kale. Next year I’m going to plant it in my garden, in between the mary-jane plants.
Maria@TheGourmetChallenge´s last blog post ..Tea Rooms of Yarck

Conor October 29, 2010 at 9:50 am

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh Maria I’m sure the feds read my blog waiting for such comments! Quick, go home and bake a pile of cakes to bribe them off with!!

Agnes October 30, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Hmmm. Where can I get my hands on some of this CracKale? Sounds like you have the contacts – can you hook me up?

Conor October 31, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Sure thing, man. I’ll give you the signal when the delivery is ready.

Kitchen Butterfly October 31, 2010 at 4:04 am

Yummy…and I love the name CracKale. I’m also gald that I can try it out soon…once life returns to normal! And I love, love, love the sound of the Rosemary & Cointreau Macadamia Nuts!

Conor October 31, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Yes I can imagine it will take a bit to get back into your routine! Oh goodness those nuts are good. They are staring at me from my present cupboard, I can feel it. Must be strong!

msihua October 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Crack Kale… it should be renamed to!… I think Kale is anti-cancer as well.. soo yay!
msihua´s last blog post ..Spooky Hollow- A Halloween Special

Conor October 31, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Oh cool, that doesn’t surprise me I guess but is a very nice bonus!! :)

Trish November 1, 2010 at 1:53 am

Love the use of vinegar. And the name, CracKale – very cute. Yum!

Conor November 1, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Thanks Trish! I made it again the other day with the vinegar and think I’ll be using that again next time too :)

chris @ bonviveur May 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Made some CracKale (parmesan pressed evoo + shichimi togarashi) with a bounty I got from Subi farmer’s market today and they are deliciously, dangerously addictive. Though I think next time I’ll use salt flakes rather than table salt.

It’s your fault if I end up selling all my stuff and turn tricks in shady parts of Northbridge to feed this habit. ;)
chris @ bonviveur´s last blog post ..March wrap up

Conor May 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

Ooooooh nice one, Chris. Excellent topping choices.

I accept no responsibility of your dodgy crack addict ways! None! Though like I said… let me know if you want to sell off any kitchenware ;)