Post image for Muff of Satisfaction

Muff of Satisfaction

October 3, 2010 · 102 comments

“There is an art to the business of making sandwiches which it is given to few ever to find the time to explore in depth. It is a simple task, but the opportunities for satisfaction are many and profound.”
Douglas Adams

You have to find your opportunities for satisfaction wherever you can, and there is no satisfaction quite like sandwich satisfaction. Sandwhisfaction, if you will.

When you’re really feeling that sandwich shaped void in your life, a Tip Top multigrain ham & cheese sanger just isn’t going to cut it, even if you get all fancy with prosciutto and brie. You need to aim higher. You need to aim bigger. You need to jazz it up, baby. There’s only one thing for it – we have to head to New Orleans.

It is said that in the early 1900s the Sicilian immigrant farmers of New Orleans would congregate at lunch time at the French Quarter’s Italian market, called Central Grocery and owned by Salvatore Lupo (perhaps they were hungry like the wolf? Oh I kill myself).The farmers would order some meats, cheese, olive salad and round muffuletta bread, then precariously balance their lunch bounty on their laps while eating the components separately in typical Sicilian fashion.

Signore Lupo suggested that the men would find it easier to eat their lunch by instead placing the components into the bread, and despite this going against the Sicilian way of eating, they were soon taking up his advice. I guess there’s only so much you can take of soggy salami knees and picking bits of dirt off your cheese after it’s taken a tumble. It wasn’t long before the farmers simply starting asking Salvatore for a “muffuletta” for their lunch.

Close up muff shot

The muffuletta is pronounced either “moof-fuh-LEHT-tuh” or muff-uh-LOT-uh”, Sicilian accent optional, and is also called a “muff” for short. Yep. There is way too much low hanging fruit on this tree of inappropriate comments.

Your standard muff consists of a round cob loaf filled with antipasti style fillings, typically salami, ham, cheeses and a thick layer of an “olive salad” mixture. Really though, there is no need to restrict yourself to these ingredients, and in my efforts to attain true sandwhisfaction I thought it necessary to take it up a notch. I present to you my Muff of Satisfaction.

A Meat-Free Muff

Muff of Satisfaction

Serves 4

Note: For best results, begin this a few hours to a day before you wish to serve it

Ingredients

• Round muffuletta or cob loaf
  • Pesto of your choice (I used a basil pesto) and/or olive tapenade (I used black olive tapenade)
  • Half a medium eggplant
  • 2 red capsicum (peppers)
  • Honey ham, sliced Turkey and salami – 3 slices each
  • 200 g marinated mushrooms, sliced in half
  • 100 g fresh mozzarella, sliced
  • 150 g semi sundried tomatoes
  • 100 g stuffed olives, sliced in half

Note: this is just what I used in this instance, you can obviously use whatever antipasto you want, and the amounts will depend on how large your loaf is and how many layers of each ingredient you want to make.

An attractive loaf, and a handy weapon should someone attack you on the way home from the bakery - the substantially weighted Pumpkin Cob from Lawley's Bakery in Mount Lawley

Method

1. Roast and peel the capsicum. In this instance I did this by cutting up the capsicum into ~4 large flat pieces each, then laying these skin side up on a tray and placing under a hot grill under the skin blackened. I then placed them in a glass bowl covered with plastic wrap for a few minutes before peeling off the skins. Leave to cool.

2. Slice the eggplant into ~1 cm round slices and bake until soft. This took me around 30 minutes at 190 degrees. Leave to cool.

3. Slice the top off the loaf, keeping the “lid”, then scoop out most of the inner bread to leave a shell of a few centimetres. Keep the inner bread to make croutons/breadcrumbs/stuffing with.

Note: If your bread is as delicious as my pumpkin cob then this step is very difficult as you feel terrible about desecrating such a lovely loaf of bread whilst also fighting a strong urge to park up with the inner scoopings and a tub of butter.

4. Spread the pesto and/or tapenade over the interior of the loaf. I spread the pesto over the lower portion and the tapenade over the interior of the “lid”.

Note: If your loaf is as substantial as mine, I’d recommend being somewhat generous with this step – I wished I had used more pesto to soften the heaviness of the bread.

5. If you’re using marinated/preserved ingredients you need to dry them out a little before placing them in the muff so it’s not too soggy. Paper towel comes in handy for this.

6. Build your muff in layers, pressing each one down as you go until you reach the top. In this instance I went for: turkey, eggplant, mushrooms, capsicum, ham, mozzarella, tomatoes, olives, salami, eggplant, mozzarella, capsicum. I also made a vegetarian one with artichokes as well.

7. Wrap the muff up tightly in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. You can also place a heavy board on top to help press the sandwich together, though I didn’t do that this time.

8. Use a sharp serrated knife to slice into four quarters, making sure to hold it together during the second cut so that you don’t have any bits trying to escape. The ones I made today were for a picnic with LOTS of other food, so I actually cut them into 8, as even an eighth is a substantial amount of food – it took a bit of patience and care to ensure the smaller wedges maintained all their layers during the slicing.

That's-a one-a spicy muff wedge

Juji October 3, 2010 at 9:33 pm

That’s quite a muff! (Har har)

I’ve never had the pleasure of trying a muffuletta, but this has convinced me that’s something I need to rectify soon.

Conor October 3, 2010 at 11:37 pm

The opportunities for lame-o jokes are ENDLESS. I will however gladly accept your compliment of my muff, however much typing that makes me cringe :D

You totally should. So good for picnics! Make it the night before and you’re all done.

Alex October 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Look, Ju, I would be happy to allow you to make me one of these next weekend!

Conor October 3, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Alex, I wish you all the best in your endeavours to convince Juji to make this for you. Could you maybe sweeten the deal with a New Orleans Sazerac or Hurricane cocktail to wash it down with?

Nancy/ Spicie Foodie October 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Conor, you’ve created one of the best looking Muffs I have ever seen, wait that sounds really weird to say, LOL! Sorry you’re probably going to get a lot of lame jokes on this recipe, hehe. Anyways the sandwich is making me drool, it’s almost my dinner time. I love it, it also looks like you could sell it for a lot of money at a fancy restaurant. Yum!
Nancy/ Spicie Foodie´s last blog post ..Creamy Kuri Squash Pasta Sauce

Conor October 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Hehe, thanks Nancy. I would be very disappointed if I didn’t get piles of lame jokes with this. Thanks so much, very nice to know I could make lots of money from my muff.

Katerina October 4, 2010 at 12:55 am

Oh my! Now I know what I am going to make to my husband as a snack, next time he will complain that the sandwich I am giving him at work is not enough and he starves. I am astonished!

Conor October 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Katerina, if your husband complained about this not being big enough then he seriously has issues. Good issues, arguably, but issues nonetheless ;)

Maria @ Scandifoodie October 4, 2010 at 1:39 am

That looks so good!
Maria @ Scandifoodie´s last blog post ..Rene- Jazz- Organic Food and Much More!

Conor October 4, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Thanks Maria!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 4, 2010 at 4:03 am

We absolutely loved the muffuletta when we were in NOLA last March. I am so impressed that you made your own. And yes, you have a beautiful loaf there!
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..Project Food Blog 2010- Luxury Dinner Party

Conor October 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Thanks Mardi! This may not be a proper NOLA muffuletta but I don’t think Signore Lupo would mind.

April @ My Food Trail October 4, 2010 at 8:10 am

Oh my, what an impressive muff you have! Haha, you asked for all the ‘muff’ jokes! :P

Seriously though, it’s such a clever idea which sure beats a ham and cheese toastie!
April @ My Food Trail´s last blog post ..KEA Mahi Wines Dinner at Comme- Melbourne

Conor October 4, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Your comments make my muff very happy, April ;)

Thanks! Ham and cheese toasties will always have their (delicious smelling) place, but this is somewhat more exciting to unveil!

mademoiselle délicieuse October 4, 2010 at 8:17 am

I’m a little worried about what type of comments or search links you’re going to end up with from this post!

Although there’s no denying that that is one large good-looking muff!
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Sugar Hit- Glass Brasserie &amp Azuma Kushiyaki- 1 Oct 2010

Conor October 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Oh god I know! There are some dubious search terms that bring people here already without adding muffs to the mix.

Thanks!! The only thing better than a good looking muff is a large good looking muff.

5 Star Foodie October 4, 2010 at 8:34 am

OMG what an amazing looking muffuletta! I’ve only had it in New Orleans and never thought to make my own – will have to do that now very soon! YUM!

Conor October 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Thank you! I’d love to have a proper one in New Orleans. One day I’ll get there.

Bryt October 4, 2010 at 8:41 am

That looks good. Really good. And pumpkin :) Good choice considering the month!

Conor October 4, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Cheers Bryt! I didn’t even think about the appropriateness of the pumpkin (probably due to all the inappropriateness going on) but you’re totally right!

Jess October 4, 2010 at 9:04 am

Lord, I have been wanting to make one of these for years. Yeeeeeeeearrrrs! Despite all the dozens of recipes I’ve seen for them and bookmarked and subsequently lost, I never knew it was called a muffuletta. It was always given some inane name like “picnic cobb loaf” – always something to do with picnics, as if there was an unspoken law that you could not eat such a creation unless you were on a picnic.

I need to make this. I need it in my life. Although that first (and last) photo is doing my head in – the angles are defying my notions of what loaves are capable of, like it looks like it’s standing in front of one of those carnival mirrors. Or whatever that program is that people use on their Macs to do weird reflection effects with their webcam images. Yeah.

Conor October 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Oh yes Jess, I’ve seen them in picnic recipe liftouts in the newspaper called things like that as well, photographed sitting on a picnic blanket. Maybe if they referred to them as muffs they might have to go in another type of liftout.

I’m glad you said that about that photo, because it’s been confusing my eyes too. And then I stared at it too long and started to see a scary face with cheese eyes.

penny aka jeroxie October 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

This is absolutely brilliant! You have given me a new theme for #IIP!! xoxo

Conor October 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Thanks Penny! Oooh really? A sandwich theme? But now I’ve just used up my cool sandwich recipe! Wahh!

Hannah October 4, 2010 at 10:51 am

Oh, Conor. You do spoil us with your pictures. All those tasty, tasty antipasto ingredients…

It must be said, though, that the top photo looks EXACTLY like Bruce from Finding Nemo. EXACTLY. And I won’t hear anyone say differently.
Hannah´s last blog post ..Peanut Butter Granola- or What America Does Better Than Australia

Conor October 4, 2010 at 9:06 pm

omg Hannah you are right! I was just replying to Jess that I could see a scary face, and now you’ve put a name to it! Oh god please don’t let me develop sandwich phobia.

Hannah October 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

No, no, we *want* sandwich phobia! Because the only way to cure phobias is to face your fear, ergo you’ll get to spend a month straight eating nothing but glorious sandwiches to *cure* yourself!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 4, 2010 at 3:06 pm

LOL I had to laugh at the title Conor! :P This is such perfect Spring time and picnic food! I love the number of layers you got on yours!
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella´s last blog post ..Win 1 of 4 Double Passes to the Irresistible Gluten Free Show in Melbourne!

Conor October 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Thanks Lorraine :) It was inevitable that I should go overboard with layers. It’s in my nature. I swear I squeezed in more last time I made this though!

Cakelaw October 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm

This looks amazing!! I never knew such a sandwich existed! Love it – sandwichfaction indeed.
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..Sundays Kitchen &amp Cafe Vue at Heide

Conor October 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Cakelaw! Once you discover it exists, it’s only a matter of time before you make one :D

Jo @ secondhelping October 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm

You’re right – so many things could be said, so I will leave them to weirdos that find you through questionable search terms, and instead go WOW.

That is some serious knife work to cut your muff into eight. Don’t suppose you have any left?!

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Thanks Jo :) There were a few moments when the slicing seemed doomed to failure. Thank god for sharp knives. Sadly the picnic guests made short work of it!

Carven October 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Holy Moly! That’s the first word that pops up my mind after looking at your sexy MUFF! LOL (Please don’t take it as an offence) Honestly speaking, that’s one sexy looking muff! Well done Conor!

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Haha, thanks Carven!! When making a muff you have gotta aim for sexy :D

Ladybird October 4, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Waheyyyy – that’s some fancy sandwich you’ve got there! Would one need to dislocate the jaw to get that in the gob?!
Ladybird´s last blog post ..Chocolate chip cookies

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Ladybird, you would definitely need to get busy with some snake impersonation to tackle this in a normal sandwich bite!

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz October 4, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I have had the actual muffuletta, twice, while in New Orleans. It it the most awesome sandwich I have ever had. But it was not nearly as pretty as yours. It looks fantastic. Can I have a slice?
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..PFB 3- Jeweled Flavor Pairing Delight

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Evelyne I can’t believe you went without me. Because of this, I won’t give you a slice but will sit in front of you eating mine.

tasteofbeirut October 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

This “muff” is the most impressive I have ever seen! You have dispelled my ignorance on the topic, as I was led to believe that its origin was actually French and was a southern version of the niçois “pan bagnat”.

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Thank you! And it seems we are educating each other (although I certainly claim no expertise on the muff) because I was unfamiliar with the pan bagnat – must rectify this, looks delicious.

Pam October 4, 2010 at 11:32 pm

WOW!!! Beautiful and what a mouthful. I’ve always wanted to try a muffuletta but have never had a chance. Mayble I’ll have to make one… it looks fantastic!
Pam´s last blog post ..Southwestern Pot Roast

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Thank you! You could definitely make one to feed your family in one go, they’re pretty hefty :)

Cajun Chef Ryan October 4, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Conor,
You know I grew up on muffuletta’s in New Orleans, and Central Grocery has the best for sure, but I have never seen one with a multi-grain bread! This looks great Conor!

Your layers of salad, meats, and cheeses look great too!

Bon appetit!
CCR
=:~)

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:47 pm

CCR, I was a little scared at what you would say about this as I’m sure the real ones are incredible (and certainly different to my recipe) ;) Thanks so much! This bread was just so delicious, but perhaps a bit too heavy for this recipe.

Andrea@High/Low October 5, 2010 at 12:53 am

Beautiful sandwich! I actually had a vegetarian muffuletta when I was in New Orleans (at Central Grocery, of course – http://www.highlowfooddrink.com/2009/08/central-grocery-co-in-new-orleans-la.html), but your version is so much prettier! Coring out the bread definitely made it look more elegant!
Andrea@High/Low´s last blog post ..Shacktoberfest and Food-related Halloween costumes

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) October 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

What a great looking sandwich!! I would love to have that for lunch everyday.
Ellie (Almost Bourdain)´s last blog post ..Kartoffelpuffer German Potato Pancakes Our Journey from Darwin to Alice Spring

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Ellie! I guess it’d be hard to get bored of this, you can just move on to another layer if you did ;)

OohLookBel October 5, 2010 at 12:20 pm

‘Mooffuletta’ is one of my favourite words. But it would be difficult to get your mouth around that, um, moof? PS: Love the final cross-strata photo :)
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Lord luv a duck! Duck ragu pasta

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I hope you’re saying it with a Sicilian accent, Bel! Thanks :)

Trissa October 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Now – that is a sandwich! I can’t believe how much effort went into making it look pretty. A definite way to brighten up any picnic.

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Trissa! The beauty is that most of the effort happens the day before, so you can sleep in on the morning of your picnic :)

Iron Chef Shellie October 5, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for about 2 years now! now you have gone and done it and put me to shame! Looks great!
Hopefully I can get my ass into gear and do one this summer!
Iron Chef Shellie´s last blog post ..Paris to Provence Melbourne’s French Festival

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Thanks Shellie! You should do it for sure, summer demands it of you! Get muffing!

MaryMoh October 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Ooooh…I really love it…such a beautiful filled bun. Imagine serving everyone one of this. I would be curious to see the expression on their faces when they open the lid or bite into it :D Thanks very much for sharing.
MaryMoh´s last blog post ..Blueberry Pound Cake

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Mary :) It’s definitely a fun one to look at people’s faces when they see it.

ylenate October 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Wow – this looks great and I am sure it provided you with great “Sandwhisfaction”! The photo of the “muff” is great – I love the layers.

PS – tried the your bloody Mary creation and it created a bit of a stir. I don’t have photos unfortunately, but it was enjoyed by all who tatsed it.

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thanks very much!

Ooh, I hope it was a good stir, and I hope you didn’t get any needle stick injuries. At least if you do, you’ve got alcohol at the ready to clean it.

cheffresco October 6, 2010 at 8:26 am

This is one impressive sandwich. We always make pretty large ones too, but this one definitely trumps ours. Looks delicious!

Conor October 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Thank you! Might need to go for an extra long run to fit in seconds of this ;)

Monica October 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm

“Yep. There is way too much low hanging fruit on this tree of inappropriate comments.”
I was going to say! :D Amazing looking beast tho. Would keep me quiet for a while!

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Monica! Didn’t keep me very quiet as I was struggling to slice it, but certainly kept me quiet afterwards :D

Harriet October 6, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Wow that looks great! It looks kinda complicated though, if I tried to do it I’d probably make a massive mess!

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thank you Harriet! The only potentially messy part is the slicing at the end, and hey, even if you end up with a mess it’ll be a damn tasty mess :)

Simply Life October 6, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I love this story and creation – looks amazing! nice work!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Garlic Knots

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Thank you! I bet you could make some nice bread for one :)

denise @ quickies on the dinner table October 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm

*arrgggggghhhhhhaaaaammmmmmfffptttttffff*
*phew*
I almost lost it – but I will.not.BITE!!!

You’re just evil Conor, but I do love your….um…sand-wich.
denise @ quickies on the dinner table´s last blog post ..Just Pointing in the General Direction

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Oh Denise, your self control is truly something to behold. We can all learn from you :D

Food lover October 7, 2010 at 4:06 am

I loved this! Sounds like a lot of work, but it’s for an amazing result! Looks great!

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Thank you! What I like about this is that most of the work happens the day before :)

My Restaurants Melbourne October 8, 2010 at 4:23 am

wow that is impressive!! I can never get anything to look that good

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Thank you, but I am sure you are being too hard on yourself!

Adrian @ Food Rehab October 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

oh gosh! That’s one supreme sanga you have there! Diggin the layers, looks awesome – you have my postal address right? I’ll make sure I’m home when it arrives. LOL
Adrian @ Food Rehab´s last blog post ..Sushi Dai Still Alive at Tsukiji Fish Market- Japan Something New

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Cheers Adrian! Sanga central :D Oh yes of course, I posted it off yesterday! I hope the postman doesn’t eat it…

krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com October 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Conor, that picture is AMAZING. What a monstrous sandwich. Don’t know how you are going to dig your teeth into it!

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Krissy!! Eating takes a little strategic thinking and a little jaw unhinging but it’s worth looking a bit silly for :)

Elle (Bromography) October 9, 2010 at 3:46 am

Great photos! A yummy looking lunch option which I will definitely try!

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Elle! Please do, it’s worth it for the looks on people’s faces when they see the beast :)

GourmetGetaways October 9, 2010 at 6:11 am

I love your MUFF!! Given that its a vegetarian muff there are endless jokes available regarding the absence of meat… but I think that may be taking things a little too far… On different note Dammit!!! I was just given this recipe from a follower to try for the upcoming “Cookbook Challenge- Picnic Theme” and you have done it to perfection, I may have to come up with another dish…. back to the drawing board, or may be a modified muff somehow??

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm

GourmetGetaways, you are so right. And don’t even start to bring ‘hold the beef’ jokes into it all as well.
You could always go for a more traditional muff with the thick olive salad layer, or do mini ones that only one or two people could eat? Or go totally gourmet with ingredients… I want one with smoked salmon!

GourmetGetaways October 9, 2010 at 6:14 am

…ah I missed the salami layer when I commented about the lack of meat …

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Nah you were correct – I did a vego one and a meaty one :D

Pachecopatty October 9, 2010 at 7:19 am

This is indeed a beautiful muff to behold, the colors and layers are just perfection in the form of a sandwich stuffed with all kinds of delicious goodies. I don’t think picnic fare gets any better than with this kind of sandwich, I would just like to drizzle the whole thing with a bit of olive oil and enjoy:)

Conor October 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Patty :D Mmmm great idea about the olive oil. The last time I made this I used ingredients that were marinated in oil, and this time they were more brined ingredients so I think it was a little lacking in tasty oil. Oil us up, baby!

Jamie October 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Wow! How does one wrap their mouth around this stunning sandwich (sandwich for lack of a better word because this has nothing to do with the sandwiches I know!)? The flavors, the ingredients are fabulous! I want a slice!
Jamie´s last blog post ..COOKIE FRENZY

Conor October 11, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Jamie! The answer is: with some difficulty and not being too precious about looking a little unglamorous :D

pierre October 10, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Ho Conor
Is it me or what but i have the feeling that this sandwich is smiling at me !!Pierre
pierre´s last blog post ..Galette écrasée- gélifié de prunes et chantilly citron vert

Conor October 11, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Pierre, not only is it smiling at you but it is winking with come-hither eyes.

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager October 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm

That is a serious muff sandwich. (Wrong. So wrong ;) ).
Forager @ The Gourmet Forager´s last blog post ..SIFF Cabramatta Allsorts Barbeque and all sorts of anniversaries

Conor October 11, 2010 at 9:58 pm

But also a little bit right? :D

Emma @CakeMistress October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

That’s an epic muff-wich. Trust the Italians to figure out how to pack even more food and carbs into a sandwich. Brilliant!

Conor October 14, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Emma. I know, and I bet they washed it down with a glass of nice red!

Magic of Spice October 14, 2010 at 7:09 am

Oh wow…this most definitely is the photo in the dictionary next to “Sandwhisfaction”… Love it :)
Magic of Spice´s last blog post ..Whats for Lunch A Slightly Confused Stir Fry

Conor October 14, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Woo, dictionary entry! :D Thanks Magic of Spice!

Trix October 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm

The muffaletta at Central Grocery in New Orleans is one of my favorite things on the planet, and your photo stopped me dead in my tracks. This muff is gorgeous. And Poaa Trix says to tell you “wow.”

Conor October 21, 2010 at 10:16 am

Trix, I want so badly to go there and try it! Well, I must preface that by saying I really want to visit New Orleans in general, but the muffeletta is also a pretty big drawcard. Thanks so much, and please give Poppa Trix a big smile from me :D

Devan October 19, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I liked that bit of history you gave there. Ah there’s always something new that I learn every day.

Gosh, your muff looked brilliant. Was there a craving for more muff? Bloody huge that was ;) Great job on the cuts :D

Conor October 21, 2010 at 10:17 am

Devan! Long time no see. Well, you know, long time never see really.. um, long time no read?

It was a total muff-fest. Once you start getting your muff on, you just can’t stop ;)

Agnes October 30, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I wouldn’t normally be into eating a muff, but yours could make a girl change her mind.

(It must be getting old by now – but how could I resist???)

Conor October 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Oh Agnes, you know you can always tell me old jokes :D

Sue November 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I love to bring muffaletta along to a picnic! The last picnic that I went to with a muffaletta was for Evening on the Green at Sandalford Winery. Earlier in the day I prepared my muffaletta but had run out of plastic wrap and decided that Al foil would suit the purpose just fine. Prior to leaving I packed up the picnic basket carefully placing my silver glistening muffaletta on top.
Upon arrival at Sandalford we had to display our tickets and get our bags checked by security. Believe me, it was a thorough inspection! Pretty much the whole picnic basket was emptied out on the table! Anyhow, the security guard asked me what was inside the wrap and I simply replied that it was a sandwich. From that point he looked at me in complete disbelief and asked me twice more what was inside the glittering al foil! Thankfully he eventually let us onto the grounds and I didn’t even have to tempt him with a bite of my muffaletta!

Conor November 27, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Sue, this is hilarious. I bet he was telling people for the rest of the day about the crazy lady and her giant sandwich :)
It’s such a great way of making piles of antipasti much more portable. No need for multiple plastic containers of things, possibly oozing oil into your basket. The muffuletta is a thing of magic.