Post image for The King of Ice Cream

The King of Ice Cream

October 11, 2010 · 122 comments

I remember being very surprised when I learnt that pineapples are considered to be a symbol of welcome in many cultures. To me, pineapples are the Sideshow Bob of the fruit world – funny to look at, but mess with one and you’ll end up all stabby.

This dubious notion of welcoming with pineapples is confirmed in an article by those fine purveyors of investigative journalism Cross Stitch Plus, where they reveal that “seafaring captains used to impale fresh pineapples – souvenirs of their lengthy travels to tropical ports – atop the porch railings of their homes when they returned as a symbol that the man of the house was home and ready to receive visitors”.

Yes, receive visitors with his cutlass, perhaps. Impaling anything out the front of your house doesn’t exactly scream welcome, and I suspect that this was more of a symbol to the non-seafaring men of the community that the captain was all too aware of what may have been happening in his long absence.

Now, if the captain had laid out a nicely doilied up platter of sliced pineapple, and a few glasses of freshly juiced pineapple mixed with lemonade and adorned with little paper umbrellas, it might be another story.

Although I didn’t have any such treats at the ready the other day I still found myself receiving a visitor in the form of my postman delivering me a present from Tropical Pineapples in Queensland. The ‘King of Fruit‘ pineapples that I received were topless which is nice for three reasons – no danger of stabby issues, the farmer retains the top to grow another plant with, and you can have a giggle at the term if you’re so inclined.

I thought I should make my pineapple guests feel at home by inviting some coconuts and macadamias around for a little welcoming soiree. I know that things can get a little crazy in the tropics, but I wasn’t quite ready for the party to get out of hand so quickly – before I knew it all three of my house guests were totally roasted and getting stuck into the ice cream.

The pineapples used in this recipe were supplied by Tropical Pineapples King of Fruit. If you like the look of this debaucherous tropical party recipe then I would be ever so grateful if you voted for it on the King of Fruit website – you just need to supply an email address to vote (be aware the confirmation email may sneak into your junk mail folder, so please check there for it!).

King of Ice Cream

with roasted pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts

Makes 1.25 L

Ingredients

• 330mL thick cream
  • 270ml tin of coconut milk
  • 2 Tb lightly toasted flaked coconut
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 145g caster sugar
  • Half a fresh King of Fruit pineapple (to yield 400 g fresh fruit)
  • 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Peel the pineapple and slice into ~2cm thick rings, removing the hard core as well, then place the rings on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Place the macadamia nuts on another oven tray.

2. Place both trays in the preheated oven, roasting the nuts for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, and the pineapple for 30 minutes or until beginning to brown at the edges.

3. Remove both from oven and allow to cool. Set nuts aside. Once the pineapple is cool, puree coarsely using a food processor or stick blender then place in fridge to chill.

4.  Meanwhile, place the cream and coconut milk in a saucepan. Scrape the vanilla seeds from the bean, then add them and the bean to the mixture. Bring this to the boil, then turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to infuse before removing the bean.

5. Place the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until pale. Carefully pour the cream mixture over, whisking as you do so, then pour everything into a clean saucepan.

6. Cook the mixture over a low heat while constantly stirring, for about five minutes until it is slightly thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon.

7. Set mixture aside to cool, then refrigerate until cold (at least 30 minutes – can leave overnight).

8. Churn the mixture in an ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s directions, adding the pineapple, macadamia nuts and coconut during the final stages of churning. If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can place the mixture in a plastic container in the freezer until frozen at the edges; then remove from freezer and beat with an electric beater before refreezing; then repeat this process twice more, adding the pineapple, nuts and coconut during the final beating.

9. Serve accompanied with your favourite hot pineapple treat.

I served mine with a pineapple and a banana fritter, in memory of the old school Hawaiian Pack from Red Rooster and Chicken Treat. I was also tempted to up the nostalgic reminiscing by frying up a serve of hot chips, sitting some bbq chicken on top of them for the amount of time it would take Mum to drive dinner home from Red Rooster so that they were just the right level of unpleasantly soggy, and finding an old episode of Sale of the Century to watch while I ate.

Really though, all you need to enjoy this ice cream is a bowl and a spoon, bowl optional. Given that I’ve been known to say on more than one occasion that if you rolled a turd in coconut I’d think it was delicious, you might be forgiven for thinking I can’t be objective about this ice cream, but it really is seriously good. A definite must-try for coconut lovers, pineapple lovers, macadamia lovers and seafaring captains.

Please vote for my recipe if you think it’s worthy! (then check your junk mail folder for confirmation email)

Iron Chef Shellie October 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm

YUM!! I have an awesome smelling pineapple at home…. I just want to rip of it’s spiky skin! :P
Iron Chef Shellie´s last blog post ..Melbourne Food Blogger’s Mad Hatter Spring Picnic Wrap Up

Conor October 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Aren’t they the best for making your house smell nice and sweet?! Rip it off!!

DD October 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Good luck in the King of Fruit comp – 12 month supply of pineapples – woo – that is a lot of pineapple fritters, but never enough ice cream :)

Conor October 11, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Thanks DD :) I know, it makes you wonder just how many pineapples they calculate you will need..? If I’m lucky enough to get the votes in then I’ll be sure to share the pineapple love :D

Celeste @Berrytravels October 11, 2010 at 4:55 pm

That’s a pretty good way to use pineapple! Especially with the warm weather that’s been around these days. Glorious isn’t it ;p
Celeste @Berrytravels´s last blog post ..Review- Namaste Bollywood Degustation @ Pan Asian- Chapel St

Conor October 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Celeste! It’s been such nice weather, perfect for ice cream indulgence (not that I agree with the notion that ice cream is a seasonal food!).

My Restaurants Melbourne October 11, 2010 at 6:29 pm

ice cream being one of my foods i can not resist, mixed together with pineapple and macadamia nuts, I’m in heaven!!

Conor October 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm

It’s a terribly irresistible food, so we may as well just give into its charms.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Holy yummers Conor! What a fantastic sounding ice cream! And for a second I forgot that the pineapples were labelled King of Fruit. In some places, the King of Fruit is durian and I thought, for a horrified moment, that you’d made durian ice cream :P

Conor October 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Thanks Lorraine! Oh dear god, no!! No, no, no I did not do such a thing. Holy moly.

mademoiselle délicieuse October 11, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Haha, topless non-stabby fruit! There just aren’t enough occasions where I’m able to string that combination of words together =p

Oh, and your interpretation of the Red Rooster pack just screams retro-chic! And who could forget Tony Barber with his little skip-dance as he made his entrance at the beginning of each episode of Saaaaaaaaaale of the Century?
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Spain meets Japan with Izakaya Dining- Japaz- 5 Oct 2010

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:02 pm

mademoiselle délicieuse, we clearly need to come up with more reasons to say this. Ooh, I love a good challenge.

Oh god the skip dance!! I forgot the skip dance!!!

Hannah October 11, 2010 at 9:14 pm

You (and this ice cream) really really really really really really are amazing. I should’ve known you’d never lie to me on Scrabble.

Also… “seafaring captains used to impale fresh pineapples – souvenirs of their lengthy travels to tropical ports – atop the porch railings of their homes when they returned as a symbol that the man of the house was home and ready to receive visitors”?

That has GOT to be euphemism. Seriously. How could it not be?

P.S. Do I owe you an email?! I am SO sorry if I do!! I’m all a-jumbled!
Hannah´s last blog post ..Glimpses of Pisa and Edible Bits and Bobs

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Whoa Hannah, really^6??? YAY :D

I know. Seriously. Those seafaring captains had been away for a long time, with nothing but other stinky scurvy-ridden men for company. I’m going to stop thinking about this now.

No, it is I who is the terrible, terrible person! Terrible^6 even! An email shall be forthcoming!

Hannah October 13, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oh gosh, don’t stress about rushing an email reply! It’s just that I’m usually the one at fault :D Honestly, I’m overwhelmed with essay marking right now, so s’alllllll good.

My interpretation could have had something to do with listening to Lovely Ladies from Les Mis in the car that morning. “Seven days at sea can make you hungry for a poke / Even stokers need a little stoke…”

Also… this is going to make me sound stupid, but what does “^6″ mean?
Hannah´s last blog post ..Glimpses of Pisa and Edible Bits and Bobs

Conor October 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

Oh god, you’ve just reminded me that 28 reports arrived in my inbox yesterday, calling out for marking. Will get email writing when I have some brain juice free :)

I read “stoke” as “stroke”, though I’m not sure which is more suggestive.

^6 means to the power of six. As in, you said “really really really really really really” which my dorky maths brain equates as really multiplied by itself 6 times which is also represented as really^6. Yeah. It’s good I have you in my life to balance me out with some less dorky humanities. (I swear I don’t carry a calculator and protractor around with me)

Hannah October 13, 2010 at 9:57 am

Ewwwww, brain juice! I have so far marked 11 of the 46 essays. But today is all about tutorial preparation, so sadly my brain juice will be lacking too.

And don’t tell me that! I love my mental image of you with the ruler sticking out of your back pockets and multiple algebraic equations written on the back of your left hand.

It’s kinda like how I watch shows like “Four Weddings” and spend the whole time saying things like “Well, Bourdieu would interpret THAT as a social conflict derived from cultural capital whereby the first bride has come to associate status with pure economic-based conspicuous consumption whereas the third bride interprets identity construction and individualization as the best way to convey autonomy and prestige. ^6″
Hannah´s last blog post ..Glimpses of Pisa and Edible Bits and Bobs

Arwen from Hoglet K October 11, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Coconut and pineapple is a lovely tropical combination. I hope you decorated your front fence with pineapple tops for your icecream-party!

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Arwen. Does it count if I decorated my theoretical front fence with theoretical pineapple tops?

Carol Egbert October 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I really enjoyed the pineapple folk lore. Good luck.

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Carol! :)

Katerina October 11, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Although Fall has shown us his teeth and it is cold outside, I wouldn’t say no to this ice cream.

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:16 pm

That’s good to know, Katerina. You just need to show fall some teeth of your own, and dig right in :)

Pam October 11, 2010 at 11:27 pm

This ice cream has all of my favorite ingredients in it… I sure wish I could have a bowl right now.
Pam´s last blog post ..Southwestern Chicken Soup with Black Beans and Corn

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Well then perhaps I should rename it to Queen Pam’s ice cream?

Pachecopatty October 12, 2010 at 1:43 am

There must be something in the air that flows between two continents and an ocean, the Pacific to be specific, sorry couldn’t resist;) I have a thing for pineapples and love those little boats that people make when the sweet tender bright yellow cubed flesh is served in a pineapple’s exterior shell of rough plated prehistoric looking tropical armor. But, ice cream with roasted pineapple slices is even better served in the shell, now I’m hungry:)

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:33 pm

No need to apologise Patty, you go right ahead :D
You’re right about the prehistoric-ness of the armour. It’s like the pineapple is trying to fool everyone into thinking there is actually no delicious sweet juicy yellow insides and you should just leave it alone and go harass some other fruit.

5 Star Foodie October 12, 2010 at 3:12 am

This ice cream sounds amazing with roasted pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts! On my way to vote!

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for voting, Natasha! :)

GourmetGetaways October 12, 2010 at 4:39 am

You have a way of making everything so funny! It sounds like your kitchen is a total scream! I have only had one attempt at ice- cream and I failed so I was intending to give it another go, this time with and ice-cream maker (I love gadgets)

Your flavours sound amazing, especially roasted pineapple!!! WOW! I agree about the coconut :)

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Oh GourmetGetaways, if only you knew the sad truth of my kitchen with its pitiful lighting and abundance of swearing ;)

An ice cream maker is such a great gadget to own. I was lucky enough to be given mine by a friend, so I didn’t have to justify buying *another* gadget.

Thank you!!

penny aka jeroxie October 12, 2010 at 6:53 am

Great pineapples isn’t it? So tropical! LOVE IT!!
penny aka jeroxie´s last blog post ..Thank everyone for coming to Melbourne Mad Hatter Spring Party 2010

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Yes Penny they are great pineapples! I swear the sweet smell is still lingering in the house..
Thanks :D

panamahat October 12, 2010 at 8:23 am

drool. I can’t wait to try this out!!

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Please do! Let me know if you think it’s as awesome as I do! I also have to add that every time I make ice cream I think you’re pretty awesome. Thanks again for my pressie :)

Steph October 12, 2010 at 8:30 am

OMG yes I always got the Hawaiian Pack from Red Rooster! Mmm I don’t think I’ve ever had an ice cream with pineapple in it, it looks and sounds so good! Definitely voting for you ;)

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Thanks Steph!! The Hawaiian Pack was good as you got the savoury and the sweet all sorted at once. Those Sara Lee desserts were ok, but so small compared to a whole banana and a whole pineapple slice :)

denise @ quickies on the dinner table October 12, 2010 at 10:56 am

YOWZA!!!! Definitely the most intriguing ice cream I’ve seen this month!! I want, I want!! I can’t believe I’ve never seen pineapple ice cream before :P Why hasn’t anyone made and packaged this yet??!? I’m thinking you should start negotiations for this recipe with Ben and Jerry or Haage…*pfft* can’t spell it but you know who I mean. Oh, you might want to take your recipe off the site first…….

;)

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:46 pm

You know Denise, I don’t think I’ve seen it either! Perhaps I should have been a little more wise with my sharing of the recipe, I could be a squillionairre! Then I could come visit you and you could cook for me! Sounds like a good deal hey? I would repay you in ice cream?

JT October 12, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Those were the salad days. Glenn Ridge was virtually a stranger. Chicken Treat was a big night out. Plucka Duck was neither a chicken nor a cow. 6PM wasn’t yet PMFM. We took Vanilla Ice seriously. It was a time and a place.

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Oh JT, you’ve got me swooning with nostalgia. And then I remember what I was wearing and what my hair looked like back then, and I snap back to reality.

CM October 12, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Being one lucky enough to be welcomed by the pineapple/macadamia/coconut icecream on Saturday night (and even more lucky to be able to sample said icecream), I think its only fair to let all of your readers know Conor, just how good it was. It was G-O-O-D. Really good. Icecream you buy in a plastic tub just never compares to home-made icream which has the texture and sweetness of fresh fruit chunks in it, combined with the crunch of freshly roasted nuts. And this concoction that Conor dreamed up had just the right amount of both so that you could enjoy the creamy-ness of the cold icecream without bracing yourself for an icecream headache or toothache.
Pineapple + macadamias + coconut milk = Pure Genius. Well done Conor!
I think I have to get myself an icecream machine…

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Wow CM, what a review! I might have to employ you for all future cooking endeavours – I can pay you in food and maybe also provide you with a thesaurus in case you run out of words for good and delicious? I’ll start drawing up a contract in the morning..

Jess October 12, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Gahhhhh nostalgia-dense flashback with the Hawaiian Packs! Maybe even back when it was still called Big Rooster! Oh lord I was not prepared for these memories to swim back up to the surface again.

I just checked the Red Rooster website and they call it the Tropicana Pack now. Mais pourquoi? And it’s two rings of pineapple… I vaguely remember that it used to be one banana and one ring of pineapple. Is banana too hard to deal with? Why did they abandon it? (My 6-year-old self is kicking me in the shins right now, given that I hated the fried banana and loved the fried pineapple in the Hawaiian pack.)

Your recipe makes me seriously consider investing in an icecream machine. Just to make icecream like this easier to obtain. Because I’m lazy. And I tried making semifreddo by alternating between freezing and beating it repeatedly and I barely made it through the process before completely running out of motivation…

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I know what you mean, Jess. I just had visions of my shiny knee length pink and green bike pants. Oh god, oh god.

Tropicana Pack? Maybe the backlash with the replacement of the banana with the second pineapple caused the rename. Why is “Tropicana” less banana-ey than “Hawaiian”?

It’s just the right time of year to buy an ice cream machine. You can get your practice run possible crap ice creams out of the way early on, and be fully roaring by the time the hot weather hits. Having said this, if your house is anything like mine then making ice cream in summer is impossible as it’s too hot. Horrible catch 22 :(

Ladybird October 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm

If I saw this flavour on the menu at an ice cream shop I’d order it for sure! Great job, Conor, looks and sounds delicious!
Ladybird´s last blog post ..Breakfast on the Bridge

Conor October 12, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Great to know I’d have an eager customer in my make believe shop, Ladybird :) Thank you!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 12, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Geez, I could go for one of those now and it’s only 5.41am!!! Voted (and thanks for the heads up re: the junk folder!).

The flavours of this icecream are spectacular and I love that you suggest to serve it with your favourite hot pineapple treat! I was *hoping* it was some kind of fritter and lo-and behold it was :-) Awesome hot and cold and no stabbiness – what’s not to love!!

PS: This is the second time I have thought I need an icecream maker this past weekend!
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..Rosewood Estates 2008 Süssreserve Riesling and 2008 Semillon

Conor October 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Mardi, perhaps I could fashion the pineapple half into a little sailing boat and send it to you? Goddamn customs would probably be waiting at the beach to nab it.

I was going to serve it with some grilled pineapple, but once I got fritters on the mind I had to go there. Sometimes you just need to fill your house with the aroma of frying goodness.

Thanks for voting :)

P.S. You totally should. You could make fish flavoured ice cream for a little someone.

Lily @ gourmetorange October 12, 2010 at 6:26 pm

OMGGG…I’m drooling right now !!

Conor October 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Excellent reaction Lily, thanks :)

Cakelaw October 12, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I am with you – pineapples are too spiky to be welcoming! It kind of says, come near me and I’ll stab you. That said, this dessert looks delicious, and with macadamias too – yum! I am a Qlder and have been a shameless visitor to the Big Pineapple on numerous occasions as an adult, so I know what I’m talking about. Will definitely vote for your recipe.
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..TWD – Fold-Over Pear Torte

Conor October 12, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Oh wow, Cakelaw, approval from a multiple Big Pineapple visitor, thank you! I’ve never seen the Big Pineapple (never been to QLD I must admit) but I imagine it must be super stabby?! You are very brave.

Thank you!!

Emma @CakeMistress October 12, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Aww, seriously craving the cool tang of pineapple and a little coconut, minus the stabby spikes of course. I deem you Queen of Icecream with such a tempting tropical creation.
*knights Conor with a pineapple fritter*

Conor October 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hooray!! Thanks Emma! Definitely worth the little fritter crumbs in my hair after that :D

Simply Life October 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I never knew this about pineapple – so fun!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Rudis Bakery Bread!

Conor October 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Simply Life!

Nancy/ Spicie Foodie October 13, 2010 at 1:09 am

Oh yummy, yummy I like! I didn’t know any of this, thanks for sharing. Btw when I first looked at the photo I though it was ice cream with fried chicken nuggets, hehe , The fritters look & sound like a much better accompaniment.
Nancy/ Spicie Foodie´s last blog post ..What do The Godfather and A Scruffy Terrier Have In Common

Conor October 13, 2010 at 9:51 am

Thanks Nancy! Oh god, sweet and savoury can go so well together, but I think ice cream with chicken nuggets may be crossing the line. When I worked at McDonald’s though, I remember one girl who used to always come in and order a plain sundae and a serve of fries, to eat together… I guess it’s not *too* far a stretch to add some chicken nuggets to the mix. Let’s just keep the chocolate sauce out of it though.

Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 1, 2010 at 8:41 am

I have to tell you that I loved that combo too, but it was a milkshake and fries. Yeah I’d skip the chocolate sauce,that’s gross. Haha, yeah I say that where others would say my fries and shake combo is disgusting:)
Nancy/SpicieFoodie´s last blog post ..Your Best Recipes YBR October Roundup- Yum and Wow!

Conor November 1, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Nancy I think I’d come to terms with the idea of a sundae and fries, but found myself involuntarily making a face at the thought of milkshake and fries. Just give me a few days though and I’m sure I’ll find that idea totally acceptable as well. Next up, cheesecake and fries!

Maria @ Scandifoodie October 13, 2010 at 1:40 am

This sounds so delicious! Such a tropical mix with the coconut milk! ;-)
Maria @ Scandifoodie´s last blog post ..Strawberry Ricotta Rahka

Conor October 13, 2010 at 9:52 am

Thank you Maria! I was scared the coconut milk would make the ice cream go a little grey, but the nice yellow pineapple sorted that potential issue out very nicely :)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz October 13, 2010 at 3:32 am

Looks like an awesome ice cream, will have to add it to my repertoire. Are you hinting at the fact that the wives of the captain had the pineapple up so the lovers knew NOT to come anymore lol? Off to vote.
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..Pour Some Sugar on Me

Conor October 13, 2010 at 11:33 am

Cheers Evelyne! That is precisely what I am suggesting – it would be handy for avoiding any awkward confrontations, and the lovers could console themselves by hacking off a piece of pineapple to nibble on :)

gcroft October 13, 2010 at 5:28 am

Hope you win Conor!

Conor October 13, 2010 at 11:34 am

Thank you gcroft! Me too! Will be hard to beat the leading one but I can only try :)

Christine@Christine's Recipes October 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Aw, yummy yummy pineapple ice cream with macadamia nuts. How good it would be if I’m welcome with this treat when I’m back home. :)
Thanks for sharing the lovely story of pineapples. Very interesting.
Christine@Christine’s Recipes´s last blog post ..Stir-fried Green Beans with Minced Pork 乾扁四季豆

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Thank you Christine! Perhaps you should put your order in now :)

Magic of Spice October 14, 2010 at 7:13 am

What a great presentation…Looks delicious! I will checkout the voting, if I get lost I will come back and yell for help,lol.
Magic of Spice´s last blog post ..Whats for Lunch A Slightly Confused Stir Fry

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Thank you! I hope you weren’t yelling and I ignored you, have been a bit MIA of late! :)

April @ My Food Trail October 14, 2010 at 7:38 am

The ice cream looks awesome! Haha, you’re right about the fritters looking very Red-Rooster-ish circa the 90s! :P
April @ My Food Trail´s last blog post ..The Cookbook Challenge- Week 47 Italian theme round up

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Thanks April, I hope they whisked you back to a period of embarrassing clothing :D

Betty @ The Hungry Girl October 14, 2010 at 9:49 am

I never really go for ‘fruity’ flavoured ice creams, but this has definitely caught my attention especially with the macadamia nuts! Looks delicious!
Betty @ The Hungry Girl´s last blog post ..Bitton Gourmet Grocer &amp Cafe Let’s Do Brunch- SIFF 2010

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I tend not to either, Betty, but this really did it for me! Must be all the extra bits in there :) Thanks!

Meggy October 14, 2010 at 4:36 pm

!!!!!! WOW
I have date day on Sunday and am tempted to make this, but for all things lazy – ill probably just whizz up pineapple sorbet with a splash of coconut cream.

This looks absolutely sinful!

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Meggy! :D Don’t think pineapple sorbet with coconut cream counts as lazy, I’m afraid.

MaryMoh October 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Wow…pineapple ice cream! I love pineapple. I don’t think there will ever be enough left over for ice cream…haha. I need to buy a few. to make this. Thanks very much for sharing.
MaryMoh´s last blog post ..Spicy Lamb Tofu Miso Soup

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hehe, you’ll need to buy two for you and one for the ice cream Mary, just to be safe :)

Karen Harris October 15, 2010 at 12:21 am

This recipe looks delicious as I am a lover of all the above. This may make me seem a little too fond of alcohol, but I love soaking juicy pineapple spears in good vodka for a few days, then serving it frozen. Since you are looking forward to warm weather, maybe have one for those of us who will soon be watching the snow fall.
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..People of Wal-Mart and a New Giveaway

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Karen, that is the best idea! I will certainly be doing such boozy things now that we are indeed living it up with warm weather. Okay well actually today we had thunderstorms and I’m wearing a hoodie, but it has been really nice I swear!

Katherine October 16, 2010 at 5:09 am

Pineapple, coconut milk and macadamia. Thats a perfect combo for me. What a delicious ice cream recipe. Will you have the same result if you dont have an ice ceam maker?
Katherine´s last blog post ..Rice Cube

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Katherine! I think you could definitely still get good results without one but it would just take a bit more work and time.

msihua October 16, 2010 at 6:11 pm

That is a super amazing use of pineapple! Considering we just bought an ice cream maker.. now I’m going to bookmark this for trying out!! WuhOoO!
msihua´s last blog post ..Nyonya Weekend Buffet Review @ Chilipadi- Melbourne Central

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Hooray, let me know how you go msihua!! An ice cream maker is an exciting toy :D

OohLookBel October 16, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Thanks for solving the mystery of why old buildings and staircases have a carved stone or wood pineapple on them. I’ve always thought they were cute but mysterious, like they were a secret sign to the night-waste collector, or something.
PS: Your king of fruit ice cream really looks… kingly.
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Coming soon- Melbourne eating adventures

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Ah yes, good point Bel! With all the little nooks and crannies of carved pineapples, they make me think that there is a certain little spot you can touch to make the wall open up.
:D Thanks!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) October 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

Pineapples are plentiful and cheap at the moment! Thanks for sharing this idea. Was thinking what to do with them.
Ellie (Almost Bourdain)´s last blog post ..Woo Kok 芋角 Taro – Yam Puffs Recipe – Guest Post at My Cooking Hut

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Cheers Ellie! They’re everywhere right now aren’t they. Woot, bring on the summer fruit joy!

Anas October 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

This icecream tastes like sunshine :) yummy, crunchy, fresh, bright, layers of flavours, yummy yummy yummy

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Anas, I couldn’t ask for a better description of the ice cream. Hearing that it tastes like sunshine makes me want to bring you ice cream every day :)

Juliana October 19, 2010 at 8:22 am

Wow, I love ice cream, and this one is a winner…roasted pineapple, coconut and macadamia, SO tropical…yummie. Love how you presented…

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Thank you Juliana! It did make me pine (ho ho!) for the tropics when eating it :)

Jo - secondhelping October 19, 2010 at 10:47 am

I remember the Haiwaiian pack from Red Rooster – my brother always had it if we were *lucky* enough to go there. Imagine their sales if they had you Kind of Icecream though! I’d be at the drive thru in a flash!

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Haha, thanks Jo! Perhaps I should get in touch with them. Yes, I remember the days when going to Red Rooster was pretty much the most exciting thing ever.

bunkycooks October 19, 2010 at 8:15 pm

These flavors make me want to get on an airplane and head ride to the islands! What a great combination for ice cream.
bunkycooks´s last blog post ..Mountain Mondays

Conor October 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Thank ye! Let’s meet there!

Andrea@High/Low October 21, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Thanks for info as to why pineapples = hospitality. I have a whole bunch of brass pineapple tags due to wedding gifts from Williams Sonoma (the pineapple is their symbol) and I wondered if the pineapples actually meant hospitality or if they were trying to get me to buy products that made pineapple cutting easier!
Andrea@High/Low´s last blog post ..Easy Entertaining DIY Cupcake Wrappers

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Andrea, glad to shed some light on the pineapple mystery! Do you have any sailing friends you can welcome home with them? ;)

Harriet October 22, 2010 at 2:31 am

I was really confused by what the banana fritters were at first, but it looks like a really good idea! Great presentation too!
Harriet´s last blog post ..BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Thanks Harriet! They are a bit funny looking, and somewhat ambiguously shaped (is it crumbed fish? Is it a sausage?) but ultimately very tasty :)

DimsumQ October 22, 2010 at 3:06 am

You’ve got my vote Conor, and can I please have a set of pineapple ice cream and banana fritters?

Conor October 22, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Thanks DimsumQ! By the looks of my Google Reader, you may have a vote coming back at you :)

Sure thing, will send some over. You had better be home cos I’m not so sure the ice cream will travel very well..

tasteofbeirut October 23, 2010 at 4:03 am

Love that presentation and you are making me almost wish I had a few pineapples laying around; not my top of the list favorite fruit, but I would love it in an ice-cream form, for sure!!

Conor October 26, 2010 at 1:09 am

I quite like the idea of someone having a few pineapples just lazily lying around the house, getting some sun :)

Trissa October 24, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Am loving this flavour Conor – it screams of summer… and I might add – a very Aussie like combination of flavours.

Conor October 26, 2010 at 1:11 am

Thanks Trissa! You’re right, maybe I should call it the Aussie King of Ice Cream. Or the King of Aus Cream? That kinda sounds like sunscreen though a bit :)

cheffresco October 27, 2010 at 8:56 am

Now that is some serious ice cream! Looks delicious! And I love your presentation. =)

Conor October 27, 2010 at 9:35 am

Thanks cheffresco! I might start carving out fruits and veges to replace all my crockery.

Elle @ Bromography October 27, 2010 at 9:08 am

YUM…you’ve got my vote!

Conor October 27, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thank you Elle! Much appreciated :)

Obesebaby October 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm

This is an awsome recipe, although i don’t have a ice cream machine but this def inspire me to do a non- ice cream machine require version, well done !

Conor October 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Thanks very much! The non ice cream version would be a bit more labour intensive I’m sure, but worth any pain :D Thanks!

AmandaP October 27, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I live in one of those areas where the pineapple is a welcome symbol. Many of the door knockers are in the shape of pineapples and a number of the homes have those mini-yard flags with pineapples on them. Luckily my household is a fan so it works well when the high school does their annual fruit sale which includes: pineapple!
AmandaP´s last blog post ..Let’s Do the…

Conor October 27, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Wow AmandaP, your area sounds like a pineapple Mecca. I LOVE the idea of a high school having an annual fruit sale! My high never did any such thing! I got ripped off!

girlichef October 31, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I didn’t realize that pineapples were a sign of welcome, either! I absolutely love fresh pineapple, though…and your ice cream makes me want to sail over and settle in for a big bowl… ;)
girlichef´s last blog post ..Why I dont want to be a vampire and Garlic Soup one and the same

Conor October 31, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Thanks girlichef, I’ll be waiting at the pier for you :D

Conor November 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm

An absolutely massively ginormous heartfelt thanks to all of you who voted for this recipe! I’m very excited to announce I’ve just been crowned the winner of the King’s Banquet recipe contest!!!

I will be drinking a Pina Colada in honour of every single one of you. This could get messy.

custom furniture orlando October 23, 2014 at 12:25 pm

It is easily a 2 weekend project if not 5 kitchen remodeling to 6 days to
do the construction. So, it is in addition essential to concentrate on what can be a bit tricky for those who are traditional are easy enough to find” useless. Maple is a light wood, and wrought iron. Delbert has been a co-author of many cabinet making books such as” Cabinet Making Magic”. Backed by the Better Business Bureau BBB for a record of suppliers.
custom furniture orlando´s last blog post ..custom furniture orlando