Post image for La Fiorentina, sealed with a kiss

La Fiorentina, sealed with a kiss

November 18, 2010 · 97 comments

I’ll admit it – I’m a bit of a Heston groupie. When I heard from @megandel79 that one of his former underlings Nigel Horton was soon to be Executive Chef-ing at a new restaurant in town, it was a matter of seconds before I was excitedly texting fellow Heston groupie V with the clap-your-hands-yay news.

Never mind that neither of us knew who Nigel Horton was or whether he was any good – if we were going to be eating food that was possibly made by Nigel who has made food with Heston then it would be like we were eating Heston food. In fact, if we were eating food that was possibly made by Nigel who has touched Heston’s hands that hat he has fed himself with then it was like we would be totally kissing Heston! omg

La Fiorentina is the third outlet of the Fiorentina group, joining the patisseries of North Perth and Fremantle but also taking it up a notch to include a trattoria and oyster bar. It had been open just over a week before V and I headed down on a sunny Friday afternoon to enjoy a late lunch surrounded by businessmen who had decided the working week was indeed over and the drinking hour had arrived.

After walking inside I was very warmly greeted by the King of Oysters himself, Jerry Fraser (view this website at work with your sound unmuted at your own peril!), who was behind the Oyster Bar doing what he does best. He invited me to sit at the bar, or wait to be seated at a table by one of the servers, which I chose to do. I waited, and waited, trying to get someone’s attention, and I started to worry that this was a sign of things to come. I need not have worried though, as when V (who arrived during the wait) and I were finally seated, our lovely server was so friendly, attentive and knowledgeable that the wait was soon forgotten.

It's times like these that a 30 sided dice would come in handy

She brought the menus out to us, explaining our choices – there was the lunch entrée (starter to you North Americans) choices, the lunch main choices, the oyster bar options and also a selection of panini. She left us to mull over the decisions to be made, and we looked at each other wide eyed. This was going to be tough.

Although the panini options looked tasty, we soon disregarded those. We could have panini any day. It went without saying that we would be starting with some freshly shucked oysters, so we decided on a half dozen of the natural ($16) and a half dozen of the Oyster Fiorentina with finely diced pancetta, aged balsamic vinegar, first pressing Sicilian olive oil and finely diced shallots ($20).

The next decision was much tougher, and we had to enlist the assistance of our server to make the final call. I was tossing up between the “whole baby pink snapper baked and stuffed with rosemary, sage, thyme and fennel, and served with lemon and extra virgin olive oil” ($26) and the “avocado and blue swimmer crab salad with basil, olive oil and a roma tomato emulsion” ($27). She told me if I was hungry then I should go for the snapper and the salad was a more petite serving size, so obviously I went for the larger snapper. V was having similar issues, considering the “swordfish carpaccio with Salamorigghio grappa dressing, shaved Pecorino and mixed herb salad ($29) but settling on the larger “loin of pork braised in milk on a bed of green beans with pancetta and salami dumplings in a white mustard sauce with fresh herbs” ($29).

We also ordered a couple of soft drinks, and if you’re not a fan of much ice with your drinks I suggest you let your waiter know this – the glasses were filled up with super fine ice particles that turned our drinks into watery slushy versions of themselves. I don’t mind this but I have friends who would be groaning at such over-iceage.

Freshly shucked oysters ($16 for half dozen)

Oyster Fiorentina (cooked oysters with finely diced pancetta, aged balsamic vinegar, first pressing Sicilian olive oil and finely diced shallots) ($20 for half dozen)

It wasn’t long before we were presented with our oysters. I remember reading on the Oyster Bar board that they were South Australian but can’t recall exactly where from. They were mid-sized, meaty and tasted of ocean freshness. I really enjoyed the natural ones with a little squeeze of lemon, and even managed to not squeeze lemon juice on my shirt or in my eye. There is hope for me yet!

I was surprised to re-read the description for the Oysters Fiorentina when writing up this post, as I am quite sure there weren’t any diced shallots in with the oysters and don’t recall catching many of these tastes. It was actually difficult to even pick up the taste of the pancetta over the taste of the oysters, and I somewhat felt like I was eating slivers of piggy fat for no real benefit. Although overall enjoyable due to the freshness of the oysters, I would not order this dish again and would just stick with the natural ones. I guess the Fiorentina may be good for those who prefer their oysters cooked, though I think that people are either oysters lovers or haters, cooked or not.

As an aside, does anyone know what that stuff is that the Oysters Fiorentina are squidged onto? I assumed it was some sort of salt mixture, but it had a foamy texture and I imagined Heston out the back with a tube of Selley’s No More Gaps.

Loin of pork braised in milk on a bed of green beans with pancetta and salami dumplings in a white mustard sauce with fresh herbs ($29)

I had seriously food envy when V’s pork came out. It just looked so very tender, and the colour of the sauce giving a hint to its level of flavour. I was lucky enough to help him finish this dish off, and can attest that the pork was indeed perfectly tender, melting in the mouth, and the white mustard sauce packed a punch. It may have packed too big a punch however, as towards the end of the dish V began to find it quite overpowering, with one of the notes in the sauce becoming almost unpleasant. I didn’t eat enough to get to this level, but although I really enjoyed the flavour I could see how it would be possible. The dumplings were light and fluffy, despite their dense, well-browned appearance. The pork was served with sugar snap peas, and not the green beans as stated on the menu, but this worked well with the soft pork. Overall a good dish but perhaps not entirely spot on with the flavour.

Whole baby pink snapper baked and stuffed with rosemary, sage, thyme and fennel, and served with lemon and extra virgin olive oil ($26)

A whole fish, just for me! I was a little confused when it first came out, as the menu description had me thinking it would be stuffed – did they stuff it to bake it and then throw away the stuffing? Was it just never stuffed? I didn’t ponder long before getting stuck in, and found the fish to be fresh, well cooked and juicy. It was also well complemented by the little pile of greens, though I would have liked more of this. Similar to Victor, I really enjoyed the flavour at first but soon found myself squeezing the lemon with gusto as I tried to cut through the almost cloying quality of the tomato flavours infusing the fish. Overall, a good dish that I enjoyed enough to leave a plate cleaned of everything but bones (and the occasional scale) but again not quite right with the flavour balance.

Just when you thought the decision making was over..

Having been sat next to the impressive cake display the entire time we were in the restaurant, it was impossible not to have a little taste of something once our savoury processing was complete. The problem was, what to order? There really was a lot of goodness to choose from and I spent an embarrassing amount of time staring through the glass (I stopped myself from pressing my face up against it). V was much more decisive, choosing the Passion Yoghurt Cake with little hesitation, agreeing to the ice cream offered with it. I found myself so paralysed with overchoice that I just ordered a short macc.

It was just as well, really, as the slice of cake was quite generous and we struggled to get through it. Although the back end of the cake was ever so slightly dry, the passionfruit syrup oozing through from the top ensured a deliciously sticky texture to the rest of the cake, and the flavour was right on the money. Just the perfect amount of sweetness too, and finished off very nicely with the ice cream that was flecked through with plenty of vanilla seeds.

Passion yoghurt cake with vanilla ice cream

The kit out of La Fiorentina is fresh and clean, with some interesting features – chandeliers worth $80,000, apparently – and we found the service had just the right level of friendliness and attentiveness, whilst also being knowledgeable about the menus and willing to offer advice to assist those struggling to make a decision. The prices are definitely heading into the high end, making for an expensive meal which is all the more apparent when there are far cheaper lunch options in the city, but these cheaper lunch options don’t include freshly shucked oysters and the danger of copping $80,000 worth of glass in the head.

I was disappointed with the apparent deviations from the menu descriptions that I noticed in the dishes, but am willing to put this down to the restaurant finding its feet.

Really, I’m not sure if it was due to the beautiful sunny Friday afternoon, the incredibly enjoyable three hours spent shooting the breeze with a good friend, or the subliminal effects of sitting next to so many good looking cakes for so long, but the overall feel was so positive that I was more than willing to overlook all the little things I didn’t quite like about this place. I guess it will take a few more visits to determine if my generous nature is to be rewarded.

So, what’s it like to cop a kiss from Heston? Although the flavours were not quite balanced,  I find myself wanting to go back for more (with one of those little bottles of mouth spray for him, just in case).

La Fiorentina

Address:                  16 Milligan Street (cnr Milligan & Hay Streets, entrance on Hay St) Perth
Phone:                      08  9321 2799
Opening Hours: Mon-Tues: 7am-6pm; Wed-Fri: 7am-10pm; Sat: 8am-10pm
We paid:                   ~$50/head for oyster starters, mains and shared dessert

Fiorentina on Urbanspoon

tasteofbeirut November 18, 2010 at 12:09 pm

This place sounds wonderful! Got to admit i am still too squeamish about oysters. Love that snapper and the yogurt cake!

Conor November 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I’ll eat your share of oysters then, and you can have extra cake :)

Apex November 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I have to admit that I am a Heston groupie too! Will have to check this place out sometime, the cake display looks amazing!
Apex´s last blog post ..Pho in Sydney – applying the ‘harm’ principle to service

Conor November 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Heston groupies unite! I think this place is about the closest I’m going to get to eating his food (or kissing him) for a little while at least ;)

Andrea@High/Low November 18, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I completely agree with you – I love oysters, but generally only raw and plain. I definitely prefer tasting the briny sea water rather than having it masked over.
Andrea@High/Low´s last blog post ..Wine Wednesday Siduri &amp Novy Wines

Conor November 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I keep coming back to this conclusion, Andrea, although I do really love a way of serving them that my sister and brother-in-law do, with vodka and herbs.

Emma @CakeMistress November 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm

So heading there for the cake display and to grab a piece of Heston, ZOMG. I might never wash my cutlery or hands again.
Emma @CakeMistress´s last blog post ..Homemade Mint Patties

Conor November 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Let me know if you need a dining partner, Emma! We can fight over fake Heston :D

OohLookBel November 18, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Those lovely oysters are worthy of Heston’s blessing, surely? Though HB would probably anoint them with some shaved sea cucumber and sprig of coral. (heres’s a thought: maybe that’s mermaid’s toothpaste sticking them to the plate!)
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Chicken tikka – nice spice

Conor November 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Mermaid’s toothpaste! I LOVE IT! :D

Chris @ bonviveur November 18, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Ah! Another Heston fan! … While I probably wouldn’t consider myself a groupie as such, I do admire the man’s talent in the kitchen.

If it was Jerry’s oysters, they would most likely be from Coffin Bay in SA. The man knows how to source some fantabulous bivalves. They would be so fresh, having it other than au naturel would be such a waste!

Sounds like an interesting place, would have to check it out as the office is not too far away. Even if it’s just for Jerry’s molluscs! :)
Chris @ bonviveur´s last blog post ..Anticipation- food- wine &amp a jolly good show

Conor November 18, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Pretty sure it was somewhere else Chris, as I think I would have remembered if it were Coffin Bay, but it is entirely possible I was overcome by the cakes and just forgot! :D

Jerry seems like a pretty friendly chap too, in addition to being a mean mollusc maestro. Double win :)

Chris @ bonviveur November 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Well, I’m sure all will be revealed tomorrow when we grill him about it while simultaneously consuming copious amounts of bivalves @ 399 :)

Conor November 18, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Woo! Bring it on! I have my stomach set to copious already :)

Jess November 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Oh Heston… and things related to Heston. I actually had a friend email me this morning (she has just moved to London and is trying to figure out how to get a booking at The Fat Duck – one of her friends who has achieved a booking before is guiding her through the arduous, frazzling process) to say she’d been watching In Search of Perfection and that her friend was starting to worry about this Heston obsession she’s displaying. Well, Heston’s just that impressive, hey? Meanwhile, I made the ganache from the black forest gateau recipe in The Big Fat Duck cookbook the other day and inserted discs of it into a cake I had devised myself. Then when people were eating it, we made the heart-breaking discovery that I had forgotten to remove the grease-proof paper that was attached to the bottom of the ganache to prevent it from attaching itself to the tin I was setting it in. Oh, embarrassment. But I guess it’s a sign of how much people trust/like my baking that they were willing to eat (with great gusto) a cake that contained a fair amount of paper. I don’t know how to feel about that…

ANYWAY… I wish there was a restaurant in Brisbane that had a Heston alumnus running it. Actually, we’ve got a restaurant run by an Adria/El Bulli alumnus, so I guess that’s pretty good too (and the food there is ahhhhmazing; molecular gastronomy-ish in parts but not in a fussy, over-the-top way) but still… I could do with a Heston alumnus as well.

Conor November 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Oh god, Jess, I can only imagine what sort of flaming hoops and razorwire hoops you need to jump through to get a booking. There are probably companies that do courses on how to get in (like those tertiary entrance and medical school entrance courses… I always thought they were a bit weird). My friend V and I are probably very unhealthy for each other, encouraging these heightened levels of Heston obsession amongst ourselves.

Your grease-proof paper story is gold. I can totally see myself doing exactly the same thing, and can even feel that stomach churning shame at the realisation of the mistake. Given how many of your creations I’ve now seen, I could quite strongly state that I would happily gnaw through several phonebooks to get to your desserts, so I’m not suurprised at these people’s reactions.

Ooooh El Bulli alumnus is impressive! We can be equally jealous.

Chris @ bonviveur November 18, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I tried to book in to the Fat Duck for my last trip ol blighty. 2 months in advance, you’ll have to call. 2 months! Well I did, and the phone line was busy and when I finally got through, they were all booked up! :( *sob*

Conor November 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Maybe that’s one to leave for when I’m very successful and important and have a PA to do such things for me. That day will come, right?

Schtef November 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Heston high fives all round!

I’ve heard similar things about the place (actually, mainly that the coffees are average but the cake is sensational). I live close to the North Perth version and work close to the cafe – what a win!

Conor November 18, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Woot! High five with a satisfying smack! (oh god it’s disappointing when you get the angle all wrong and it makes a wet thumpy sound)

I actually haven’t been to the North Perth version, despite having lived in reasonable proximity for quite a few years, but I think I may have to fix that now that I’ve (literally) got a taste for them. Can take some home and make my own coffee :)

Maria @ Scandifoodie November 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’m not a big fan of oysters, but that cake looks fantastic!!
Maria @ Scandifoodie´s last blog post ..Spiced Almond and Rhubarb Muffins

Conor November 18, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Maria, in a way this makes you lucky as it narrows the huge menu down somewhat! Still going to have to reach a difficult cake decision though :)

Katerina November 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I would go for the pork. I am more meat eater than fish. But all dishes look above average to me. So, I guess apart from minor problems, which unfortunately happen when a new restaurant tries to enter the market, overall it was a pleasant experience for you.
Katerina´s last blog post ..Quick Meals Part 4- Angel-hair Pasta with Shrimps and Macedonian Fruit Compote

Conor November 19, 2010 at 12:52 am

Yes Katerina, a few teething problems are to be expected and I think everyone would probably start to get a bit suspicious if nothing at all went wrong with a new venture :)

Gourmet Getaways November 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm

What a great story! I would have been there in a flash. Heston is amazing, so to me, anyone that has associated with Heston is by definition, equally as amazing. The pork dish looked fantastic! and I can’t believe how many cakes were in the display cabinet.

Maybe will have to plan a Heston adventure to the UK to experience the master himself ;)

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:35 am

Thanks Julie! I think next time I’m in the UK I’m going to have to try and get in there. It’s a shame I don’t have a house I can mortgage to pay for the meal :)

Chris @ bonviveur November 19, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Well, Heston is/will be opening another restaurant, this time in central London named “Dinner by Heston Blumenthal” so there’s 50% more options to try :) Though the Fat Duck would still be #1 on my food mecca hit-list

Katherine November 18, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Conor I love the new look. Its so you. The pork looks delicious, not to mention those succulent oysters. YUMMM.
Katherine´s last blog post ..Keis Kitchen

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:36 am

Thanks so much, that’s how I feel about it too so it’s great to hear it back :)

MaryMoh November 18, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I heard so much about fresh oysters…tasted once but didn’t like. I sure need to learn to enjoy some expensive taste…haha. Love the presentation of the snapper….mmmm. I would be really happy with just that dish….or may 2 :D What a wonderful time of food! You are so lucky :D
MaryMoh´s last blog post ..Taking Care Of The Elderly – Alzheimer’s Disease Part 1

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:37 am

I know some people Mary who developed a taste for them, but I guess there will be some who never like the slippery little suckers! That’s good for the rest of us though – more to go around :D

My Man's Belly November 19, 2010 at 12:09 am

That snapper looks absolutely divine! It’s inspired me to attempt making whole fish again. My first attempt ended up with us eating takeout for dinner.
My Man’s Belly´s last blog post ..Spice Things Up With This Easy Enchilada Soup Recipe

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

Haha, you have to love stories like that… “oh crap, it’s gone beyond the point of no return, let’s order pizza”

Carven November 19, 2010 at 3:43 am

Oh I love oysters myself, especially au naturel, will it be possible that they are from Streaky Bay? I would have assume the stuff that Oysters Fiorentina are squidged onto were egg white (meringue) and salt mixture.

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:39 am

Ahh Carven you may be right, on both counts! I should have known you’d come through with the goods :)

bunkycooks November 19, 2010 at 5:02 am

The pork dish looked particularly tasty. That would have been my fav since I cannot eat those slippery little buggars known as oysters! I have tried, but get very squeamish when I eat them. Oh, well…more dessert for me! This does look like a very nice spot. :)
bunkycooks´s last blog post ..Bourbon Pecan Pie and a visit to Ellis Bros in Vienna- Georgia

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:40 am

Excellent attitude Gwen, you have to look for the silver dessert lining in every situation. It’s probably best for you at this place actually, given that there are more delicious desserts than even a separate dessert stomach is able to handle.

Cakelaw November 19, 2010 at 5:54 am

OMG! I want to go to Perth just to try this place. I am a huge fan of oysters au naturel with a squeeze of lemon – so your first photo had me looking wistfully at the screen.
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..English Rose Cake for Kate

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

Don’t come here today, it’s hot! Although, nice cool oysters au naturel washed down with a cold drink on a hot day sounds mighty fine. What the hell am I doing here on my computer?

Simply Life November 19, 2010 at 9:02 am

Oh this looks like such a great dining experience!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Pasta with Broccolini &amp Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

It was indeed, made all the more fabulous with the company :)

Hannah November 19, 2010 at 9:20 am

I was so scared you weren’t going to have dessert. Don’t do that to me, Conor!

Although, to be fair, I’m such an oyster lover that I would’ve been tempted to order three courses of the tasty little bivalves. Surely there was a choc-topped oyster selection on the menu?

It is Heston-ish, after all.
Hannah´s last blog post ..Fourteen Things I Have Learnt In The Past Week

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

I just got so overwhelmed with choice. Thank god V kept his dessert head.

Wow. I never thought I would find myself feeling squeamish about oysters, but thinking about choc topped ones just about does it. Squeamish and incredibly curious.

Hannah November 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I must admit, I actually made myself a bit nauseous writing that.
Hannah´s last blog post ..Fourteen Things I Have Learnt In The Past Week

Arwen from Hoglet K November 19, 2010 at 10:59 am

Somehow salami dumplings have me more excited than the pork itself. Passionfruit cake is nice and summery too.

Conor November 19, 2010 at 11:51 am

I was so surprised at the texture of the dumplings – so much lighter and fluffier than I was expecting. Not terribly salami-fied but pretty tasty.

Yes, very summery! I should go have some more today seeing as it’s going to be 38 degrees or something sticky. Sticky like the cake.

Megan November 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I liked the Summer Crab. but i cannot stand oysters ALTHOUGH i did try some of Fiorentina Oysters with freeze dried balsamic vinegar and well i could have just had a bucket of it! perhaps my palate is not so refined.

I am slowly eating my way through their desserts.. lemon tart was simply a-mazing, some seriously melt in your mouth mouthwatering magnificence!

Back again on Saturday night.
I hear night times (Friday nights) are becoming difficult to get a seat at the oyster bar – even with contacts!
Glad you mostly enjoyed it!
x

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Megan, I’m still thinking about the summer crab, think I’ll have to go back and try it. I think I shall also have to copy your eating-through-the-desserts plan. Slow down and let me catch up :)

Yeesh, if you are stuggling to get a seat on Fridays then I’ve got no chance. Consider me warned!

Trissa November 19, 2010 at 2:57 pm

The loin of pork does look juicy and super tender… no wonder you had plate envy.

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Luckily my friend is a generous dish sharer :)

Kath Lockett November 19, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I’m guessing that the oysters were Coffin Bay oysters – *the* place in South Australia known for them, so I’m not surprised that you decided that natural was the best way to enjoy them.

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Good guess Kath, but they were from elsewhere, possibly Streaky Bay.. I am happily familiar with Coffin Bay, ooooh baby yes I am!! :D

5 Star Foodie November 19, 2010 at 9:36 pm

The oysters are surely best eaten natural, I’ve never had one like that with pancetta. The cake looks moist and delicious, would love a little slice of that with my coffee right now!

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I’d like a slice right now too, but laziness wins out over cake desire :)

krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com November 20, 2010 at 7:53 am

i have been meaning to have an oyster shucking party! those oysters look delicious. it’s my mouth water. lucky you!!
krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com´s last blog post ..Raisin Pumpkin Bread

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:05 pm

That’s such a good idea Krissy (as long as you don’t end up with drunkards stabbing themselves in the hand and ruining your nice carpet).

Nancy/ Spicie Foodie November 20, 2010 at 8:42 am

This restaurant sounds amazing! The oysters are making me drool. By the way did I tell you I like the new header logo? Well I do! It’s really cute.
Nancy/ Spicie Foodie´s last blog post ..Novembers YBR Signup Announcement

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Nancy!! Even if you told me before you’re welcome to tell me again thanks :) :)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz November 20, 2010 at 11:11 am

It is nice to treat ourselves to an extravagant meal, even if it has a mix of high and low notes. Excellently cooked fish is rare so that is a good sign. I have not idea though who are all the people you mentioned but I love the quote of the oyster guy’s website “Shucking an oyster with Jerry Fraser is the sort of experience that could make a woman blush” tee hee
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..Confucius Food

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Ha! I don’t remember blushing but it did make me very happy. I’ll have to ask my dining partner to check my complexion next time ;)

Kimba's Kitchen November 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm

WOWWW looks like you had a feast!! I think the whole world is in love with Heston and anything to do with him sounds delicious, hehe.
Kimba’s Kitchen´s last blog post ..Choc Mint- Hazelnut and Raspberry Layer Cake

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm

He’s easy to love, Kimba!

erin November 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I just came here to complain at you for not posting for so long… but you have! Two days ago! Something is wrong with my feed :( Poop.

Those oysters look pretty special, though. Oysters have to be in my top five favourite foods ever (maybe I need to do a blog post on this topic… yes… I am so short of ideas lately). I don’t think I’ve eaten them since New Year’s Eve, though, which was far too long ago. Damn my student salary.

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I have, I have! I’ve been posting just for you, Erin! Your feed is just trying to come between us!

Are you serious? New Year’s Eve? Why weren’t you at 399 with us on Friday eating piles of them then?? Hmm?

erin November 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I think mainly because I’ve never met any of my bloggy/twitter friend and wasn’t invited and besides I’m scared of people. But then I found out that one of my friends had been at 399 that afternoon! So I could’ve gone, and not had to be scared of people.

Although hopefully now we’ll be neighbours and can totally galavant around the inner city together, eating and drinking and growing plump. Well, I’m already plump, so growing plumper in my case. Plumper and poorer. It’ll be grand.

Conor November 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Next time, gadget, next time. The pool will sort out the plumpness, not sure how to address the poorness… you could probably easily set up a crack house in our hood? Maybe don’t mention that until your name is on the lease though.

erin November 23, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Shh, you’ve already said too much…

(“our” potential hood. I’m not quite there yet :P God I hate waiting. Waiting to hear from so many people about damn houses today!)

Meggy November 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

unless it was crack house relating to crack pie, then the plumpness would only be increasing!

Conor November 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Meggy I’ve already said once today I can’t talk to you any more as it makes me too hungry, and here you are making unnecessary crack pie comments?! I was doing quite well with my super juicy peach and rice crackers afternoon tea until now.

PIERRE November 21, 2010 at 4:02 am

hi conor i am a big fan of oyster raw or cooked !!pierre
PIERRE´s last blog post ..Sur un sablé – du fromage de brebis et un chutney rouge

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Are you their #1 fan Pierre? Do you have a “I HEART OYSTERS” shirt?

Harriet November 21, 2010 at 4:30 am

Wow! Look like you had a great time! The oysters with panchetta looks especially interesting, how did it go with the vinegar? I can’t imagine it.
Harriet´s last blog post ..Debt Advice

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I did, thanks Harriet! The salty briny oyster taste overpowered the rest so it’s hard to say what it was like apart from oystery. Not very informative, I know..

mademoiselle délicieuse November 21, 2010 at 8:12 am

I shall live vicariously through your blog post and pretend I kissed Heston as well… Shhhh, don’t tell the husband!
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Gourmet Traveller Wine &amp Magshop

Conor November 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Your secret will go with me to the grave (as long as you promise to give me a sea burial near an oyster farm)

Agnes November 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm

GASP! You kissed Heston by proxy!! :D

I’m also a Heston groupie. In fact, I once told Alastair that if I wasn’t already married, I’d want to marry Heston. ;p

Conor November 21, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Alastair is a sensible chap. I’m sure he’d understand this. Makes perfect sense to me. He’s just lucky he got in early :)

Conor November 22, 2010 at 9:04 am

They were Franklin Bay oysters, mystery solved! Thanks Megan, Queen of desserts.

Meggy November 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

Anytime,

These were the ones i took home, i should have taken a photo of what i ordered and ate there, but the alcohol consumption was reasonably high.

Conor November 22, 2010 at 9:16 am

I have to wonder how many actually made it all the way home. I couldn’t be trusted carrying that.

Meggy November 22, 2010 at 9:20 am

I think i only ate 3 on the way home, which is why the top corner is free of desserts and the gladwrap is torn in my haste to consume!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table November 22, 2010 at 11:54 am

Oh! You are so right about oysters. Doesn’t matter what you do or don’t put on them – I could grab a thrasing tuna and bite right in *blush* but put one wee oyster on my plate and I turn green. Go figure :P

Sounds like a fantastic meal, all in all and you gotta love chandeliers like that!

Selleys – hahahaha. Conor – you kill me :D

Conor November 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Denise I would give a lot to be able to see you fighting a thrashing tuna, trying to get a good bite in. I can only hope you wouldn’t be having this fight anywhere near the expensive chandeliers.. it’s all fun and games ’til someone cops a chandelier in the head!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm

LOL you make me laugh-Selleys no more gaps. I’ve actually wondered that myself. It’s like salt blended with ice. I’m not willing to eat more of the stuff though :P The ice bit is annoying-the best ice is one solid whole lump!

Conor December 5, 2010 at 4:46 pm

It’s apparently a mixture of egg whites and table salt, though I’m yet to try and recreate this myself! I thought at first it was a salty ice mix too, until I touched it. It’s quite freaky, really!

melissa romano November 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm

it is a fantastic place to go to they also make excellent food in north perth and fremantle. even better they do birthday cakes any special occasions. they made my wedding cake and it was amazing.

Conor December 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for that, Melissa. I haven’t visited them in North Perth or Freo yet, but after seeing all those desserts, I am sure it’s only a matter of time before I find myself there. Good to know about the cakes too!

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager December 2, 2010 at 9:13 am

Those oysters look so good – but then, I have a weakness for oysters.. A Heston kiss eh? I’d say it’d be a magical experience with literal explosions and fireworks. But that might be the pop rocks talking.
Forager @ The Gourmet Forager´s last blog post ..Diary of an amateur mushroom forager

Conor December 5, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I would be quite disappointed if a Heston kiss didn’t involve some pop rock action. It makes me wonder… could we make oysters and pop rocks work?

Martin Horton March 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Ps Sorry I spelt your name wrong :)

Conor March 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

No worries, I’m used to it!

Nudge March 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Thankyou for the review take it easy

Nudge

Conor March 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Nudge, my pleasure.

Martin Horton March 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hey Conner, thx so much for the review and posting it on your site esp as Nigel Horton is my brother, and as he doesn’t often share much about his work it’s great to hear how well he’s doing! Thx again :)

Conor March 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Hi Martin, thanks for your comment and it’s good to know my review has come in handy for more than just informing people about the restaurant :)

cooking schools florida August 11, 2013 at 7:32 am

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came
to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!
cooking schools florida´s last blog post ..cooking schools florida