Post image for Paella Pizza makes its Crusty debut

Paella Pizza makes its Crusty debut

November 26, 2010 · 107 comments

I think I groaned slightly when I recently heard that Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar was opening up their first Western Australian outlet in Subiaco. Another gourmet pizza bar? Why don’t they throw in a gourmet burger joint and macaron store in the same building and complete the trifecta in one fell swoop?

Okay, so perhaps I let my cynicism get away from me on occasion but it’s easy to develop an automatic eye roll when “gourmet” gets thrown around and as I’ve said before I am quite picky when it comes to pizza. If I choose to pay someone else to make it for me, I want the final product to either be superior to what I can make myself, or consist of interesting or unusual topping combinations that I am unlikely to put together in my own kitchen.

My cynicism was thus tempered somewhat when I checked out the Crust website and discovered that there were actually quite a few topping combos that piqued my interest – anyone for Peking Duck or Veggie Moussaka pizza? I was also pleased to see they offered a wholemeal base option, and I was both intrigued and a little heart-fearful of the Chicago Deep Dish base that seemed to be a new addition to the menu.

With the cynic in me having a little sit down with a nice cup of tea, the rest of me was interested enough to consider an invitation by the Crust team to visit their newly opened Subiaco store for an “exclusive” masterclass to learn about their pizzas from Crust’s chef Peter Augoustis, and also to take part in a little competition to create the “most inspiring pizza recipe” and then of course eat the spoils. If the word “exclusive” didn’t already suck me in, the competition and free dinner did the trick and I soon found myself down on Hay Street in Subiaco, ready to get covered in flour and put out someone’s eye with a poorly thrown ball of dough.

Don't be distracted by the Hungry Jacks sign reflection (or my strange expression through the window)

Upon arrival I thought it best to take up the offer of a glass of sparkling wine to ensure dough throwing hilarity was to ensue and to give myself a little Dutch (Italian?) courage in the midst of all the photographers there to capture the night. My fellow punctual attendee was the very well dressed Karen of Karen Cheng’s Fashion & Life, whose blog I must admit to being ignorant of until that evening. I’m not the most fashion forward girl, as evidenced by the fact I went shopping in the city today and spent $3 on a scarf at Good Sammies and $5 on a lurid pink dress at Supré (in my defence, both items are for a costume for an upcoming 30th party… a truly, truly,truly outrageous costume).

It wasn’t long before fellow foodie bloggers Lori of Musings of a Wannabe Gourmand, Devan of Bowl of Honey and Carven of Food, Drinks n’ Sun arrived, and after a quick catch up with Lori and finally putting some real faces to Devan and Carven (they exist!) it was time to get started.

Peter showing us the base-ic ropes, and showing off the Chicago Deep Dish style base

Chef Peter went through the process of making their standard dough with us, told us about their gluten-free and wholemeal bases, and then put together five of their pizzas to show us a good cross section of their menu. We were all interested in the Chicago deep dish, and our beating hearts were stilled at learning that they are not your coronary-in-a-slice style deep dish but rather like a hybrid between their regular pizza and a calzone, and the vegetarian deep dish pizza he made actually seemed reasonably healthy.

I was admittedly pleasantly surprised to enjoy all of the pizzas that he made for us. The bases are a good thickness (not too thick, hooray) with a nice structural crust on the bottom, and the toppings were fresh, flavoursome and seemingly of a good quality. It was interesting to try the gluten-free base, which had a short, almost biscuit-like texture. Peter said that it is not uncommon for non-coeliac sufferers to order the gluten-free base just because they enjoy eating it more than the usual one.

Pizzas ready for the chomping; Szechuan King Prawn pizza; Florentine Ricotta pizza; White Prosciutto pizza; Vegetarian Antipasto Chicage Deep Dish pizza; Vegetarian Supreme pizza.

After Peter had finished his demonstration it was time for us to prove our worth and get cranking on the “most inspiring pizza recipe” competition.

Now, I have a confession to make. In case you hadn’t realised it already, I’m a massive dork. Knowing that we would relied upon to come up with a recipe, and being the person that I am, I had spent a good half hour on the day of the masterclass thinking of what pizza I should come up with. My initial idea was some sort of Greek lamb pizza as I’ve had a few nice versions of these at other pizzerias. Upon checking out the Crust menu however, I saw that they already had a Mediterranean Lamb AND a Moroccan Lamb pizza, so I wouldn’t exactly be a pizza trailblazer with my initial idea. There is a “Build Your Own” section on the Crust website where you can view all the available ingredients, so I started scrolling through these for some inspiration and finally it struck – I was going to make a Paella Pizza!

Coming up with our potentially winning combinations

We were asked to split into pairs for our pizza creation, and happily my pizza partner-in-crime Lori agreed that the world deserves paella pizza. She also had the fabulous idea of finishing off the pizza with saffron aioli – genius! Going over the ingredients available to us, we decided on: tomato base with a squeeze of garlic added, chicken, chorizo, mussels, roasted capsicum, Spanish onion and mozzarella, then finished off after cooking with a sprinkling of chopped fresh chilli, a drizzle of saffron aioli and a couple of lemon wedges.

Each pair then nominated a pizza maker and the three of us proceeded to don gloves and get behind the pizza counter, no doubt to the chagrin of the staff who had to continue their regular work around us. I’m sure they were relieved however to learn that we would not be making our own dough bases, and I had to file away any grand plans of spinning my way into their hearts (or eyeballs).

The sauce on the spoon goes round and round..

It's the pizza papparazzi!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a fine specimen of a pizza. Let us all gaze upon its greatness. And point.

We docked our bases, sauced them up, added cheese then toppings then a little more cheese, all the while wishing desperately that I didn’t get an itchy nose or shed hair onto something. We then waited for the oven to do its work…

"The Streets of Bangkok" pizza, courtesy of Chef Karen and Chef Devan

First pizza out for our critique was the fabulously named Streets of Bangkok made by Karen and Devan. Karen suggested it could more appropriately be named “Little Lumps of Dog Poo in the Streets of Bangkok, with Vegetable Scraps Thrown on Top” but I think we can respectfully disagree about this lovely chunky pizza – I made sure to select a piece sans-meatball and thought they came up with a clever mix of flavours to match the clever name.

"Sunday Roast" pizza, made by Chef Carven and Chef Carrie

Second cab off the rank was Carven and Carrie’s Sunday Roast pizza including pumpkin and lamb. I admit I was ever so slightly put off by the name making me think of Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, but I didn’t let this ruin my appetite and loved this portable version of everyone’s favourite Sunday fare.

"Paella" pizza, by Chef Lori and yours truly

Lucky last was our Paella Pizza, which I thought looked quite pretty with the aioli and little chilli tendrils. Squeezing over the lemon before tucking in, I was really pleased with our efforts! I really enjoyed how well the flavours worked together, but perhaps would not recommend this pizza on a first date given the stickiness of the aioli and saffron’s bright colour. Nothing says ‘kiss me you fool’ like a face and hands covered in delicious bright yellow goo.

All pizzas were shared amongst everyone present, including a number of Crust bigwigs who were along for the evening, and everyone voted for the pizza they most enjoyed. After tallying the votes it was high-five time for Lori and I – Paella Pizza was victorious!!! Peter went on to say that he was so impressed by it that he would be working to get it on the 2012 menu, if not the 2011 one which was already largely finalised.

So Paella Pizza may well be coming to a Crust near you, and Lori and I will become ladies of leisure, living off our pizza royalties and doing guest appearances on MasterChef and Food Safari.

You know what you just don't get enough of if gourmet pizzerias these days? Wrestling.

Overall – fun was had, pizza was enjoyed, high fives were heard and bellies were stretched by the end of the night. Based on what we ate I can happily recommend the pizzas at Crust and I retract my earlier eye roll.

Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar

Address:                  Retail T6, 502 Hay Street, Subiaco 6008
Phone:                      08  6363 0420
Fax:                            08  6363 0419
Website:                  http://crust.com.au/
Opening Hours: Mon-Thur: 12-2:30pm; 5-10pm; Fri: 12-2:30pm; 5-11pm; Sat-Sun: 5-10pm

Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar on Urbanspoon

Emma @CakeMistress November 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Looks like awesome fun. God, I want pizza for dinner now. Time to pop the Crust Pizza cherry perhaps. I fear it won’t matter what I order, as it will pale against the Paella Pizza, you pizza queens, you :)
Emma @CakeMistress´s last blog post ..Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes

Conor November 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Do it! (although, given that it is now 7:45 in Perth I suspect you may already have done something about dinner…)

Megan D November 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I have been a follower of Karen’s blog for almost 4 yrs now, so I was most pleasantly surprised to see your lovely face on there.

It is such a small world. I found out a while back that she is married to a chap from our quaint little home town ;)

Conor November 26, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Gah, Perth! There’s just no escaping my face ;)

I know, I discovered that on the night as well! Go the Mighty Rams! :D

MaryMoh November 26, 2010 at 7:33 pm

That looks like so much fun. I love all the pizzas. Yours looks really impressive. I love the name…Paella Pizza. Makes me feel like having pizza for lunch :P
MaryMoh´s last blog post ..Blueberry Smoothie – Healthy Breakfast In A Glass

Conor November 26, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Thanks Mary, it was great fun. I might just turn up there with some friends and infiltrate the kitchen if I’m having a dull day :)

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 26, 2010 at 7:53 pm

What a fun outing! A couple of things though…

1. You dissin’ macarons as a fleeting fad?
2. You call it Hungry Jack’s there too? I thought it was just in SA!
2. Paella pizza? You are a mastermind!
3. Can I come and be your personal assistant when you are a lady of leisure?
4. Wrestling? Ummm…
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..French Fridays with Dorie- Caramel-topped semolina cake

Conor November 26, 2010 at 8:15 pm

1. Not fleeting (hopefully).. it just feels like soon enough they will be selling them on buses and giving them to you with your morning newspaper.
2. Yep! Such a weird name when you think about it, really. Oh god I remember when my favourite thing for dinner was a HJ’s Yumbo. Did you have those?
2. THANKS!!! :D
3. Yes please do, I shall reward you handsomely. You can make me macarons and we shall scoff at those people trying to sell them to us at every corner shop.
4. Yeah. Seriously.
5. What do you have against the number 5? Why is #2 so special?

Hannah November 26, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Oho, you should NOT have thrown down that gauntlet. “Unusual topping combinations that I am unlikely to put together in my own kitchen”. Do you know what my brain did the second I read that? It thought “Gherkin, peanut butter, marshmallow, and smoked salmon pizza.”

Hey Conor, guess what I’m making you for dinner when you come to the berra?

Now, onto other matters… I think there’s a Crust here, but I’ve never considered it before. Not much a pizza person, you see… but I’m totally going to be there when my favourite Perth lady’s pizza takes the world by storm :) Go you!!
Hannah´s last blog post ..My Ultimate Pleasure In Poem Form With Magnum Temptation

Conor November 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

See now Hannah, the addition of smoked salmon in there makes it a total win. I would love to eat that. I may eat it for dinner tonight. Am I convincing you yet?

I want to come visit! Maybe when I’m rolling in pizza royalties riches I can buy a holiday home next door to you?

Hannah November 27, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Forget the holiday home – just buy a futon for my living room floor.

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Good idea. Then I can know the magic of the smurf kitchen myself.

erin November 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I want to go to there.

The other day you posted about oysters, which are in my top five favourite foods.

Pizza, thought?

Pizza is my number one favourite food OF ALL TIME, EVER. It’s chased very closely by sushi, but I could seriously live off pizza, and there are often times when I do. Thank goodness I’ve invented a mostly-cheeseless version on a pita bread base, or I’d be the size of a house by now.

That said, every single pizza in this post looks about infinity times better than my healthy psuedo pizza, and now I’m craving pizza, so thanks. Thanks a lot.

Conor November 27, 2010 at 11:55 am

And now Erin, I’m curious about what the remaining two foods are in your top five. I highly approve of your pizza, sushi and oyster placements. I eat a lot of sushi, it’s my go-to lunch fare when I’m too lazy to bring lunch into uni (which I admit has been happening a lot lately).

Ah, wouldn’t it be nice to go down our delicious size-of-a-house paths and not be the size of houses? When are they going to invent a magic non-size-of-house pill???

You’re welcome. I suspect that the craving is not entirely my fault, and was also at least due in part to some drunking.

erin November 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Drunking was partially responsible, I must admit.

My other two favourite foods are pumpkin and avocado.

The next five?

Burgers
Chicken, avocado & salad rolls
Chocolate
Noodle soup, many varieties
Rambutans

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:20 pm

After hating pumpkin all my childhood, I can now agree to its greatness. Avocado is also total win, although it can lead to such disappointment when you can’t find a non-rock-hard one at the shops (and you’re trying not to be too obvious about feeling them all up).

Burgers are definitely in my list too. There is just so much to love about a good burger, especially when you have no qualms about getting covered in sauce.

erin November 28, 2010 at 8:15 am

Our friendship is meant to be, Conor. I hope you realise this.

Conor November 29, 2010 at 10:11 am

We must formalise it with the ancient rambutan friendship ceremony. You are familiar with this, right?

bunkycooks November 26, 2010 at 10:29 pm

True success! Please don’t forget about us old bloggie friends of yours when you are basking in the sun on a yacht in the Meditteranean! BTW, thanks for your really nice comment on my blog. :)
bunkycooks´s last blog post ..Green Appletinis for a Holiday Blogiversary Celebration!

Conor November 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

My pleasure Gwen, it was from the heart of my bottom as my Dad would say :D

I will never forget my old bloggy friends when I’m rich and famous! I shall charter my yacht around to visit you all and take you on little jaunts when we shall sample the finest of cuisines!

Mei November 26, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Paella pizza = awesoooome. It better get on the menu – I want some!

Woah…Other food bloggers exist!? Lol! It must have been surreal meeting them… (maybe there should be a Perth food blogger get together sometime…. )

Love your hair btw (Steve’s done a good job.)
Mei´s last blog post ..midland farmers’ market – midland

Conor November 27, 2010 at 11:59 am

Thanks Mei!!

I know, it’s true! I think I remember shaking hands too, so I actually touched them and my hand didn’t go through so they must be real. Oh and I witnessed them eating which must surely be another sign of realness, right?

THANK YOU! Very sweet of you to say :D I think that was actually the same day I got it cut and coloured, and dear god it was in desperate need of it.

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz November 27, 2010 at 12:20 am

Oh what a fun event it sounds like. I don’t like places that make you do your own food but in an invited case, why not. Love the paella pizza…saffron ALWAYS a good touch! Oh, wrestling as restos..love it!
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..Best Thai Curry Tofu EVER for Fait Ici

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I’m not much of a cook-it-yourself fan either Evelyne, good novelty value but always left feeling a bit jipped, but yes this was awesome! And nerve-wracking. Thank you! I need to use saffron more. I’ll add it to my list of things I keep saying I should use..

Harriet November 27, 2010 at 3:34 am

Wow that looks and sounds fantastic! I wish I had a place like that near me!

I love the look of you paella pizza and the roast dinner one (typical Brit here!), and well done on winning the little competition too!
Harriet´s last blog post ..Debt Advice

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Thanks Harriet! The roast dinner one was pretty awesome, I agree it’s hard to go past a good old roast dinner :) (erm… speaking of typical Brits… you watching the Ashes? ;) ;) )

Maria @ Scandifoodie November 27, 2010 at 5:42 am

Certainly looks like fun! Never heard of paella pizza before, but hey why not?! ;-D
Maria @ Scandifoodie´s last blog post ..Rhubarb and Apple Loaf with Cinnamon Yoghurt

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Heaps of fun, Maria! I can understand the attraction of getting a pizza oven in the backyard and having pizza parties :)

GourmetGetaways November 27, 2010 at 6:39 am

What an awesome fun time!!! Our own Conor on a “make line” well done!! Love the look of all the pizza’s.

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I’m just glad you didn’t have to see me in a hair net, Julie. I might not have shared those photos so willingly.

mademoiselle délicieuse November 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

Bahaha, wrestling! Hammer pants also come to mind as something not commonly seen in gourmet pizzerias these days.

And hooray for your paella pizza. I shall keep my eye out for it appearing at our local Crust store and claim that I know one of the famous inventing duo behind it.
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Epicure Recipe Cards 26 &amp 25- Thai Mussels with Sweet Potato- Tuscan Tomato Salad with Marinated Goat’s Cheese

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Oh good god you’re right! Why didn’t I think to get my hammer on?! WHY!?!?!!?

Thank you! Just think of how much good I can do when I’m super famous and have lots of social sway and can instigate a hammer pants revolution!

Nancy/ Spicie Foodie November 27, 2010 at 9:21 am

Can you please ask them to open up a location on my street please? It looks like you had so much fun and all of the pizzas look mouthwatering. I like your paella pizza, yum! I think I need to have pizza for dinner tomorrow.
Nancy/ Spicie Foodie´s last blog post ..A Very European Thanksgiving

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Sure Nancy, I’ll email them now. I’ll see if they can send me over for the grand opening event too :D
Thank you! I have a pizza craving now myself. It’s such an easy craving to develop.

Bryt November 27, 2010 at 10:46 am

Looks like you have great fun. A new place to try out, yum!
And I love the new header for your blog, gorgeous!!

Conor November 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Bryt, it was a fun night, and always good to get another tasty eating spot in the list!
Thanks so much, I’m really happy with it too :)

Katerina November 27, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I am sure you had a great time there! I am a sucker for pizza.

Conor November 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

Much fun was had, Katerina. I am too :)

pierre November 27, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Y ou aussies are so cool dudes !!
I would love to have such a masterclass with the pizza delivery close to my house !!
An have you noticed your last photo you are all together hand on shoulders like the guys on the TV screen jsut above your heads !! Did you also fight after …in the tomato sauce?!!!
pierre
pierre´s last blog post ..Passion figée- crème Diplomate à la vanille de Tahiti

Conor November 29, 2010 at 10:13 am

Pierre you’re right! Seconds after this photo was taken we commenced the fight over who would be taking the leftovers home with them. Sauce was flying, chilli was being squished into eyes, and I’m still cleaning the cheese out of my hair.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

That class looks like fun! And you paella pizza looks divine-I admit I have a strange fascination with the squiggly bits that remind me of okonomiyaki! :)

Conor November 29, 2010 at 10:14 am

Yes Lorraine, it’s definitely reminiscent of that! Perhaps that is what attracted me so. We need some flapping little bonito flakes too :)

Gcroft November 28, 2010 at 2:01 am

Well done Conor!

I would definitely order your fantastic creation Paella Pizza (although I’d have to tell them to holdthechorizo) – sounds delish. We could be heading to Perth in April, so would that be time enough for your pizza to appear on the menu?

Conor November 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

Thanks Gcroft! We can create a special chorizoless Gcroft version.

Ooh April, good time of year to visit, should be free of the stinking hot weather by then but no idea about when our little pizza may appear if indeed it does at all. It has an unknown gestation period.. we’ll just paint its room and buy its toys and hope for the best.

Fingers crossed about the visit going ahead!

tasteofbeirut November 28, 2010 at 3:56 am

How fun! It does not hurt that the Chefs seem cute and friendly! I thought he was Lebanese, no I see, Greek probably; anyway, they all look good to me, a nice relief to know there are good pizza makers neat you ; I have resorted to making my own Lebanese style, which is my favorite I must admit. Like all these jolly ideas.

Conor November 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

Yes, I think he is Greek. Just as well he wasn’t Spanish or Italian, and thought our paella pizza was sacrilegious ;)
I agree that Lebanese style is generally very good, and when it’s your version it would be near impossible to pass up!

Simply Life November 28, 2010 at 5:15 am

Oh my gosh, all those pizza combinations look and sound amazing!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Shing Pulao Rice with Peanuts

Conor November 29, 2010 at 1:30 pm

They made for a pretty good dinner!

dave November 28, 2010 at 6:17 am

Yes, yes, and yes please. I would like one of those pizzas. Any of them, although the Paella sounds especially interesting. I’m hungry now.

Conor November 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I’ll see how far they will deliver, Dave :)

msihua November 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Ooo.. now this looks like a lot of fun! Crust just opened at the shops in the burb I live in.. and the incentive? There’s coupons to be found in the Entertainment Book.. WuhOooO!
msihua´s last blog post ..Seek Your Ultimate Pleasure with Magnum Temptation

Conor November 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Ahh msihua, bargains to be had with tasty food? How can you resist?! :)

Trissa November 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

What a fun experience! I’d love to go to a pizza masterclass too! And you know what?! You had the best combination in my humble opinion!

Conor November 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Aw thanks Trissa, your humble opinion means a lot!

penny aka jeroxie November 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

So now you are the pizza expert yah? I need a pizza masterclass too.

Conor November 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Penny I’ll let you know when I get my pizza education facility up and running. You can get your Dough Diploma.

Cakelaw November 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Crust has great pizza – I think these are the ones that are in Melbourne, and are renowned for being much better than your average pizza. I would definitely order the paella pizza.
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..Daring Bakers – Crostata – Crostata di Prugne e Fromage Blanc

Conor November 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I went into it being a little sceptical, Cakelaw, but was really pleasantly surprised. There were a lot on the menu that I’d like to try, and enjoyed those that I did. Yay, glad you’d order the paella! :D

Karen Harris November 28, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Combine a dork, a glass of sparkling wine and variety of pizza toppings and voila!, pizza perfection. Well done on the win Conor! Your creation looks delicious.
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..Black Friday Blues and Tates Bake Shop Giveaway

Conor November 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Perhaps the sparkling wine and dorkiness were the key here? I should approach more things in life with a glass of wine in hand, Karen. Thank you for being my life coach yet again :D

Pacheco Patty November 28, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Hey Connor, This post was fun, I enjoyed seeing you with your pizza making crew expressing your inner creative side with such flair and style. You were like a kid in candy shop with all the various pizza toppings to choose from and you came up with such a winning combo pizza! I’ve begun my countdown to Australia trip so when I’m ready to start laying out what I’m packing I’ll give you a ring, just kidding maybe a tweet;)

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Patty! You’re so right, it was really very difficult to show restraint when faced with so many little containers of prepared toppings! Had to keep repeating ‘less is more, less is more’ in my head.
Yeeha! I’ll be waiting by the phone! :D

Kitchen Butterfly November 28, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Hi C, if you think you’re a dork…..you’re not the only one :-)! So, I like your defence of your clothing purchases…..they would be part of my regular wardrobe ensemble so…… Back to this pizza recipe, yay. Please remember me when you do become a lady of leisure……..and the benefits roll in – it looks great!

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Hooray Ozoz, dorks unite! One day the dorks shall inherit the earth, I am sure. I will remember you for sure. I’ll probably do my best to employ you as my personal Nigerian food advisor, if I can afford you :)

Ladybird November 29, 2010 at 7:23 am

Mmmmm I do like Crust pizzas. There vegetarian pizza is pretty tasty! Looks like you had a fun evening :)
Ladybird´s last blog post ..Couture Cake Class

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm

And they had a range of different vegetarian ones too, which is always nice. Sucks when you want the vego option and you get a “choice” of one.

OohLookBel November 29, 2010 at 8:58 am

That Karen Cheng is such a (tiny) glamour, and you don’t look too bad yourself. Nice work with the paella pizza – I will keep an eye out for it at Crust! – love the artistic aioli.
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Candied Bacon with Ice Cream plus a Giveaway

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Isn’t she just, Bel! Aw thanks :D
I wonder what else I can squirt piles of saffron aioli onto. I’m so glad I wasn’t wearing white that night (I’m sure I knew better than to trust myself with white in front of strangers).

Meggy November 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

mmm Paella Pizza does sound amazing!
That Saffron Aioli looks pretty delicious, did you make it yourself or was it already pre-made.

I should stop reading foodblogs on a Monday morning when tummy is rumbling!
Either that, or i should have morning tea in Subiaco!

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Meggy! The aioli was already made and ready to go. I wish I had such mise en place all ready and waiting in my own kitchen. Once I have made my fortunes I guess I’ll just need to employ a kitchenhand to do such things for me.

I think morning tea in Subiaco is the better of the two options :D

Apex November 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

The paella pizza sounds great!
I am also a fan of lamb pizzas and would have probably tried to incorporate lamb into a pizza creation somehow.

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thank you Apex! I really like the lamb pizza at Stone’s in North Perth, have you tried it? I like a lot of their pizzas actually, it’s definitely high up on my Perth pizza list.

Apex November 29, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I have had the lamb pizza at Stones and it’s one of my favourites too. Little Caesar’s in Leederville also has great pizza!

Jo @ Second Helping November 29, 2010 at 10:58 am

I succumbed to laziness last Friday and had Crust’s Moroccan Lamb pizza. Not bad really, although I think I would have preferred your Paella Pizza :)

Conor November 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Friday is the perfect night to succumb to laziness. I endorse your succumbing. Wish I could have been the unlazy one and made the paella pizza for you though :)

denise @ quickies on the dinner table November 29, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Mussels and saffron on a pizza?!?! All hail the Pizza Queen!!! ;) I’ll be in the pizza capital of the world later this week (New York, baby! woot!!!) and I think your paella pizza would stand proud beside any of NY’s finest!!

Conor November 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I wonder what my crown would be, Denise? A pizza base with the insides all eaten out?
New York, New York? I hear it’s a hell of a town! Have fun my lovely!

GourmetGetaways November 30, 2010 at 4:08 am

So when do we see some of those flavours on the menu at “CRUST”!

Conor November 30, 2010 at 9:20 pm

An excellent question, Julie! An excellent question that I cannot answer so I shall just trail off……………….

Juliana November 30, 2010 at 5:20 am

Conor…this is so much fun! I love the place and enjoyed so much the pictures…awesome!

Conor November 30, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Thanks Juliana! They were fun photos to go through, although they did make me quite hungry.

5 Star Foodie November 30, 2010 at 7:31 am

What a terrific experience and the paella pizza is definitely an excellent idea, what a successful creation!!!

Conor November 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Thank you Natasha! I’m so happy it tasted of success as well :D

Devan November 30, 2010 at 9:31 am

Guest appearances on MasterChef and Food Safari – nice! ;)

Great seeing you all there that night. And wow, a detailed blog post! Good job :D

Conor November 30, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I’m still waiting for them to call, Devan. They must have lost my number.
So good to see you too! Thanks! :D

Jojo November 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm

wow wow wow.. after reading this, i want to have a pizza from Crust now!
recommendation Conor?
Jojo´s last blog post ..Photog My First Wedding Shoot

Conor December 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm

You should get there, Jojo! Hmmmmm, recommendations…. well, I absolutely LOVE gorgonzola so I loved the White Prosciutto, though my housemate found it overly salty (the combination of the cheese and prosciutto is indeed very saltilicious). I really liked the Szechuan King Prawn as well, but for an experience you might want to try the deep dish – as long as you don’t want to be too dainty when you eat :D

I want to try the duck!

jojo December 3, 2010 at 12:32 am

Ooooo DUCK!!!! I love duck!!
I will try the Gorgonzola too then! :D
jojo´s last blog post ..Lunch @ Noodle Inn- West Perth

Pam December 1, 2010 at 12:26 am

What a great time! I am totally craving pizza now.
Pam´s last blog post ..Fettuccine with Italian Sausage- Mushrooms- Tomatoes- Spinach- Pine Nuts- and Basil

Conor December 1, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Me too, Pam! Pizza for afternoon tea?

Betty @ The Hungry girl December 1, 2010 at 7:06 am

Oh this looks like so much fun. And yay *high 5* on the winning pizza. Your combo does sound like a winner, I hope you signed a contract with them then and there!
Betty @ The Hungry girl´s last blog post ..Baffi and Mo- Redfern

Conor December 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Woo, thanks Betty! Nothing like a high 5 to top off a win :D

Magic of Spice December 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh what absolute fun Conor…amazingly delightful read.
And your pizza was victorious :) Everything looks amazing!
Magic of Spice´s last blog post ..News &amp Reminders

Conor December 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Thanks so much! Wouldn’t it be nice if we could play around in the kitchens of all the restaurants we visit?

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge December 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

woo hoo….you were pizza victorious!!! Although I am disappointed that you didnt get dough in someones eye. That should be your goal for 2011!!
Maria@TheGourmetChallenge´s last blog post ..Results – Roasted Duck Breast- Braised Turnips- and a Mango and Lemon Sauce

Conor December 5, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Me too, Maria, although it probably would have ended up in my eye. Ha, we’ll see if the new year will hold such joys :)

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager December 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

Very professional looking & impressive pizzas. None of that wonky misshaped homemade pizaa jazz for you! And wrestling is appropriate. It’s strength building carbo loading food. Having FTV in the background when you are scoffing triple cream brie at a cheese night – that’s what I call wrong.
Forager @ The Gourmet Forager´s last blog post ..Diary of an amateur mushroom forager

Conor December 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm

How right you are! I didn’t think about it like that. Yes, it’s bad enough when you have to watch FTV at the hairdresser when eating a chocolate biscuit with your coffee, I couldn’t imagine the conflict of doing it when eating your weight in cheese. Very wrong.

Amy @ cookbookmaniac December 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Congrats on your victory! I am lucky enough to have a Crust Pizza Store just around the corner. Every pizza that I have ordered has been absolutely delightful. Can’t wait to see paella pizza on the menu. I’ll be the grinning fool pointing at it on the menu board and calling out at the top of my lungs, “I know the person that came up with that! She holds the beef!”
Amy @ cookbookmaniac´s last blog post ..Glorious Butter Cake

Conor December 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Amy! Glad to know you’ve been enjoying them too and I’m not spruiking something that just happened to be nice on the night :) Haha, hooray for grinning fools! I do a mean grinning fool myself :D

GourmetGetaways.com.au December 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’m feeling like some Paella Pizza, any chance of popping one in the oven for me :)

Conor December 14, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Only if I get to use your pantry!

My Man's Belly December 8, 2010 at 3:05 am

Welcome to the world of California style pizzas! (Not your usual pizza) But your paella pizza looks and sounds divine.
My Man’s Belly´s last blog post ..Christmas Candy Recipes- Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Conor December 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Ah, so that’s what I should call ‘em. I should make a visit to California one day. Adding it to the list..
Thanks! :D

jas December 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I was going to go to this night but their gluten free bases are bought in and i REALLY wanted to make one from scratch (that I could eat) so I bailed! Looks like it was a fun night though!

Conor December 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm

It was a great night, pity you weren’t there! I quite liked the gluten free base.. quite biscuity. Would have liked to see it made from scratch too though.

Good that they give you the option to order it these days, at least, though would be nice if it didn’t cost extra!

cheffresco December 18, 2010 at 5:39 am

How fun! I love this. I wonder if they have one of these around us. Your pizza looks quite delish!