Post image for International Sundae Incident – Snagga Split

International Sundae Incident – Snagga Split

February 20, 2011 · 82 comments

Did you know there’s a area in  Sillim-Dong, South Korea, where there are so many eateries dedicated to serving sundaes that it is called Sundae Town? This conjures up glorious images of a Pleasure Island/Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory hybrid where ice cream bowsers litter the streets, chocolate streams flow past cherry trees and you always keep your lucky spoon in your pocket.

The Pleasure Island imagery is in fact not too far off the mark, if you skip ahead to after the greedy boys have turned into donkeys, but instead of turning into donkeys they have actually turned into pigs, and had their intestines removed and stuffed with noodles and blood and bean sprouts then steamed and served up for dinner. I hope no children are reading this.

International Incident Sundae Party

Such talk can only mean one thing – it’s time for the next International Incident Party, and this month it’s all about sundaes! Fighting against my natural tendency to dessertify things, I was intrigued to discover the savoury intestine dish that Koreans call a sundae. My natural tendency to run and hide when faced with offal is however still as strong as an ox (stomach) despite my recent tripe ingestion with Incident Party host Penny, and I just couldn’t bring myself to get intestinal in the kitchen.

Well, not so obviously intestinal anyway. To continue the Saturday morning cartoon theme from my last post and make up for being AWOL from last month’s International Incident Hotdog Party I thought I’d try makin’ up a mess of fun (lots of fun for everyone!) with a Banana Split. A meaty banana split. Minus the banana.

Chunky chocolate sauce, with extra chunks

A crocodile and lemon myrtle sausage stood in lieu of the banana; mashed potato, mashed sweet potato and mashed potato with gravy stepped up to cover the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream vacancies respectively; and the chocolate topping was a little more indigestion-inducing than normal, consisting of caramelised brown onion.

Bacon: making everything better

Some crushed nuts are always welcome on any banana split, so toasted pine nuts were certainly in order to take up the nutty slack. They refused to come along without their good friend bacon, and who was I to argue? To make the bacon bits I slow roasted slices of bacon, effectively making bacon jerky, then crumbled it into small pieces. I think I will be making bacon jerky again.

Eet's only waffer theen!

A wafer fan and wafer sticks were replaced by a corn chip Salzstangerl pretezel stick that I’m sure even Mr Creosote could poke in, and I couldn’t help but finish it all off with a cherry on top.

Sundae, bloody sundae

As always, big meaty thanks to Penny for hosting the party, and happy birthday to any fellow February babies joining in this month’s festivities!

Now, time to make like a banana and split to go check out everyone else’s creations…

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 20, 2011 at 8:15 am

OMG I am in love with this. So creative, so colourful, I bet so tasty and… so YOU! xox
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..International Incident Party- Sundaes

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:29 am

Thanks Mardi! You know, I think your olive oil ice cream could have played a very interesting role indeed in this creation.

Maya February 20, 2011 at 9:10 am

Conor, your savory sundae is outrageous…in the nicest possible way, of course. At first glance, your sausage (is it really crocodile?) looked like a banana, and your ice cream like the frozen sweet version. The flavor combination must be a bomb! Happy birthday, I know you’ll have a great one!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks Maya! I aim to outrageous where possible. Truly truly truly outrageous if I have the energy :D
Yep, really is crocodile. The sausage was delicious, highly recommended!

Trix February 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

You never fail to make me laugh – I love this post, and I love that you made a savory sundae, as did I. Happy birthday! I am a wretched facebook friend … forgive me!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:31 am

:D Thanks Trix :D
If you are wretched then so I am! A wretched pair we make.

erin February 20, 2011 at 9:28 am

Crocodile and lemon myrtle sausage?

I want to go to there.

Happy birthday, lovely! Sorry I totally forgot to text or tweet on the day (it was Thursday? Or is it today? I’m sure it’s not today). Hope your day was splendid, and I hope the rain keeps away today, though it’s looking a bit grim out of my window right now!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh yes, you want to go there. Pretty damn tasty sausages, and smelled so good when cooking too.

Thanks!! No problem, I was probably too busy (on Thursday, yep) eating to respond anyway :) Rain kept away, and weather actually turned out to be perfect.. nice and warm but no blazing sun to have to run away from, huzzah!

erin February 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

Eating is the best way to spend a birthday. I think that might be all I do for this birthday… eat, and maybe be in Melbourne or something. Yes. That might be what I do.

Glad the rain kept away for your celebrations. I actually got a little sunburnt on Sunday (hah)!

Hannah February 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

Um, that passing joke you made about the lucky spoon in the pocket? I’m not sure if that comes from a particular movie or your own glorious mind, but, erm, it hits a bit close to home. I may or may not have two favourite teaspoons that I use to eat ‘most everything, and I take them back and forth with me whenever I housesit in different places…

But now my reaction to your sundae: OH MY HEAVENS. You’re rather amazing, coming up with something that wouldn’t melt into a puddle while you photographed it. And trust you to mention a sausage flavour that I, avowed sausage hater, really want to try. (Seeing as the only sausages I usually tolerate are kanga bangas, crocodile and lemon myrtle sounds up my alley :) )

Mmm…. sweet potato and caramelised onion…
Hannah´s last blog post ..This Little Light o’ Mine

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hannah, this does not surprise me in the slightest. I can only hope that you never lose one of these teaspoons and thus whither away to nothing, unable to eat anything with an unfavourite teaspoon. As far as I know there is no movie reference with lucky spoons in pockets, but I’m so uncultured that I have no doubt there probably is but I don’t know it. Well, I went and listened to jazz in my local park yesterday with friends for my birthday so I guess I’m a little bit cultured right now. Am sure this will subside quickly.

Oh I know, how clever am I not to have a melty thing!!! It’s been so sticky here lately that I am sure working with real ice cream would have sent me batty. Plus, you know, I can’t actually eat ice cream at the moment, so it would have also made me very very sad.

You seriously need to try these snags. Very tasty.

Hannah February 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Spoonarexia. It’s a terrible thing.
Hannah´s last blog post ..This Little Light o’ Mine

penny aka jeroxie February 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

I was wondering how would make a savory version….. of course, it must be you! ;)
And come on… the offals was not too bad :P

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

Damn, by trying to be unpredictable I am now in fact very predictable ;)
Ok ok, not too bad.. but not good enough to make me steam an intestine…

ck February 20, 2011 at 11:00 am

My jaw just hit the table – ouch! Wow. Crazy amazing. That’s just so clever and imaginative. I love the lucky spoon in the pocket thought too.
ck´s last blog post ..International Incident Party – Sundae!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thanks ck!! I’ll be sure to leave a nice squishy napkin at your table place next time ;)

msihua February 20, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Oh my.. genius of combining two iips in one! I could do with lucky chopsticks… but they may poke.. hMmMm..
msihua´s last blog post ..International Incident Sundae Party – Lychee Sundae Ice Cream

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

Ooooh I like the idea of lucky chopsticks, but you might be right. Too pokey. Maybe fold out lucky chopsticks? Hmm..

ylenate February 20, 2011 at 7:56 pm

The intro photo coupled with the title of your post had me a little confused – a snagga sundae, that looks like a truly authentic banana split ice cream sundae? Well done on creating a savoury sundae! And from reading the other comments, Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good one!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thank you, I was pretty pleased with the confusing result. Messing with your mind, man :D And thanks, it was indeed a fantastic birthday.. still eating the cake now :)

Annette @ Wellnesss WA February 20, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I don’t think I can wholeheartedly approve of this, but GOSH are you creative!
Annette @ Wellnesss WA´s last blog post ..Organic Fruit and Vegetable Boxes in Perth- Organic ‘n Green Review!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

Umm… I could do it again with a soy sausage? Maybe? And organic spuds? :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice February 20, 2011 at 11:36 pm

That’s very creative…a savory sundae! Looks like you had fun putting it together. Happy Birthday!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

Thanks Biren!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

Yum! And what’s this about Sundae Town? Book me a ticket to Korea straight away please! And an order of your lovely sundae too ;)

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

Yeesh Lorraine, you can have my share at Sundae Town! Although, it would probably be worth the trip to get a photo taken next to a Sundae Town sign (surely there is one)

Three-Cookies February 21, 2011 at 8:45 am

Very creative, and looks interesting.
Three-Cookies´s last blog post ..Eggplant cheese- Forrest Gump chocolate tart and Marco Canora

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:48 am

Thanks very much!

Lucy @ Lucyeats February 21, 2011 at 10:01 am

How very interesting! I really love meat but, I must say, that your sundae confuses me..

Hope you had a great birthday!

Conor February 21, 2011 at 11:49 am

Excellent Lucy, that’s just what I was hoping for :)
Thank you!

Pachecopatty February 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Hey Conor- I had to read this about 5 times to get it! First off, I thought, why is there a tortilla chip on top of Conor’s sundae. I am woefully slow but finally it clicked. I think this is a fantastically creative sundae to be shared among friends!
Great job with this theme, you’re always an inspiration;-)

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Hehe, is it bad of me to be pleased to have confused your brain? Just keeping it healthy, you’ll thank me when you’re old ;)
Thanks heaps Patty, lovely words x

Cakelaw February 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Cute idea! I would definitely have a double take on inspecting this.

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thanks! Nothing like a good old double take :D

Maria @ Scandifoodie February 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Well that is one helluva dish! I have never tried savoury sundae before! ;-D

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Me neither, Maria! It’s weird, but in a good way :)

mademoiselle délicieuse February 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Could this be considered reverse dessertifying? Haha, love it!
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Chinese New Year 2011

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm

omg you’ve just coined a phrase. Quick, patent it!

Katerina February 22, 2011 at 12:43 am

That makes me long for the saummer even more. It looks so beautiful and colorful I want to grab it and eat it!

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Grab away Katerina! Grab some of our summer too, I’m over it. So hot. So very hot.

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz February 22, 2011 at 9:23 am

I was hoping for a savory contribution and all I can say is WOW Conor, amazing. It looks amazing and crazy. Happy Birthday too xoxoxo
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..IIP- Lebanese Fruit Cocktail Sundae

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Woo, thanks lovely! :)

Iron Chef Shellie February 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

bloody_awesome_!!

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Cheers Shellie!!

Meggy February 22, 2011 at 10:46 am

OOOOOOOHhhh Emmm Geeee
I love nothing more than delicious game meat sausages!!
Did you make these yourself or did you purchase from somewhere. I made duck and roast onion and garlic sausages and i am going to try kangaroo jerky.
I wasn’t aware you could make it in your oven.

I totes need some protein!

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm

These were definitely up there in the delicious game meat sausage contenders. They are Mahogany Creek ones, bought from Meat the Butcher at Dog Swamp. I also got some other ones from there, still waiting patiently in the freezer for me :)
YES! Kangaroo jerky! DO IT! I so want to make some too. I bought some at Perth airport last year to take overseas and it was awful.

Karen Harris February 22, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Mmmmm, bacon jerky, I think that deserves a post all on its own. I love your take on the sundae. Well done as usual Conor!
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..Sibling Love and 7 Minute Frosting

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I think you’re right, Karen. It was amazing. Excuse me now whilst I daydream about it…

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

As in, the jerky was amazing. Not as in, yes my sundae was totally amazing and I daydream about my own creations cos I’m so awesome. Ahem.. just thought I’d clarify.

Juliana February 23, 2011 at 7:44 am

Conor, a savory sundae? This is sure very interesting and you are really very creative :-)

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Thank you Juliana! :)

5 Star Foodie February 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I love the idea of this savory sundae, it looks awesome, so neat!

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Natasha!

foodie and the chef February 24, 2011 at 9:25 am

This is adorable – my dad’s diabetic so next time I see him he can join in on the sundae fun too!
foodie and the chef´s last blog post ..A Sunday Lunch Affair to Remember part I- gratin de coquilles St Jacques

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Brilliant! An added bonus of the savourising that I hadn’t anticipated, hooray!

Tracey@Tangled Noodle February 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

Good savory gravy! This is brilliant on so many levels – it trumps all food trompe l’0eils I’ve seen recently. More importantly, you put together foods that are complementary and entirely appetizing to create this marvelous illusion. Bravo! 8-D
Tracey@Tangled Noodle´s last blog post ..Fork in the Road- Oregon Hors dOeuvres

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Haha, thanks Tracey!! Loving your comment, puts a big smile on my face :D

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) February 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

This looks sinfully good! I agree that bacon makes everything tastes and looks good.
Ellie (Almost Bourdain)´s last blog post ..Caramel Chicken

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Thanks Ellie! Bacon love, oh yeah, it’s the best type of love.

Shirley February 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Completely out of the box sundae!
Shirley´s last blog post ..Jackfruit Gadbad-International Sundae Incident

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

:D

MaryMoh February 25, 2011 at 6:36 pm

First of all, Happy Birthday to you, Conor. I remember we are April babies, on the same day I think. Hope you had a great time. Love your sundae….just SO out of the world! I’m sure it’s so fun making it. But it’s just too cold to eat now. Won’t be satisfied with just a small scoop. Wait till summer comes and I’ll eat a BIG serving :D

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Mary! Happy birthday to you too!! I had a lovely time, and by the looks of it you did too :)

Id love to send you some of our summer. It is slowly killing us here in Perth. The heatwave is never ending, never ending I tell you! Argh!

Kitchen Butterfly February 26, 2011 at 7:47 am

And I gather in addition to this creative sundae that birthday wishes are in order? Please accept them with lots of wintry warmth from the Netherlands.

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I accept them very happily indeed :) thank you!

Sweets By Vicky February 26, 2011 at 10:38 am

You’re kidding! This is a wicked idea! ;) I think the crocodile sausage is one spectacular addition though I should be accustomed to it after 4 yrs in Australia.
Sweets By Vicky´s last blog post ..Caramel Parfait with Candied Popcorn

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Well, it’s not like we’re all getting stuck into croc dishes every day. At least, no one I know. Maybe those crazy tropics dwellers do ;)

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge February 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm

wow, I’m seriously impressed…converting something into a dessert inspired dish is quite easy…but reverting a dessert into a savory dish…..that tasks talent!
Maria@TheGourmetChallenge´s last blog post ..Ezard

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Maria! It was hard to fight against my natural desserty tendencies, but I was spurred on by my desire to mess with my housemate’s mind :D

pierre February 27, 2011 at 9:02 pm

not a huge fan of kimchi but i can make the trip for a nice sundae !!!pierre
pierre´s last blog post ..Croustillants chocolat- crème anglaise whisky-moka

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I would like to make a trip anywhere right now to escape the heat, Pierre! Would you like some?

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager February 28, 2011 at 8:04 am

Wow. Where to start with this one? My first impression is not quite “yum” though it looks like a savoury sundae and even though the concept itself works in my mind. Imagine the disappointment of anyone ordering a Korean sundae! Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but bad luck to anyone ordering with a hankering for ice cream!
Forager @ The Gourmet Forager´s last blog post ..Musa Dagdeviren’s eggplant and lentil stew with pomegranate molasses

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

:D I know, it’s not the same omg-must-eat-it-now reaction that an oozing proper sundae elicits, but I think this is made up for with the weirdness factor :)

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle February 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

Now this is really taking the idea of sundae to the ‘next’ level…how creative and totally unique. Love it!
Barbara | VinoLuciStyle´s last blog post ..French Onion Soup – with some Italian Style!

Conor February 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Cheers Barb! :)

Emma @CakeMistress March 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

This is so totally cool! Love the finishing touch of the ‘cherry’ on top :)

Conor March 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Emma! :)

Agnes March 6, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Erm, but here’s a dessert theme and you make a SAVOURY ITEM?? My mind is blown.

Conor May 23, 2011 at 7:59 am

I know, right? Just when you think you’ve got me all figured out ;)

Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com May 18, 2011 at 8:03 am

Love this take on the banana split! My hubby- who hates sweets – would be all over this especially knowing it’s a crocodile sausage!
Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com´s last blog post ..Easy Recipes Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti

Conor May 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

Thanks Andrea! I was so impressed with that croc sausage. Much easier to deal with that a whole croc ;)