Post image for The PhoDown

The PhoDown

March 17, 2011 · 85 comments

The battle lines were drawn.

Loose fitting clothing was donned.

Afternoon tea was shunned.

The rules of engagement were produced and agreed to.

The day of reckoning was upon us. It was time for the Pho Down.

The official rules (sharing is for cheaters!)

Chris of Bon Viveur, Apex of Food Endeavours of the Blue Apocalypse and I rendezvoused last night to fight the good fight in the battle of food blogger vs. food, taking on the Pho Eating Competition held every Wednesday night in March for Eat Drink Perth.

Our confidence took its first hit when we read the rules and discovered we would only have 20 minutes to complete the task of finishing a jumbo sized bowl of pho.

It took its second hit when we saw just how big a jumbo sized bowl of pho actually is. Filled with almost a kilo of rice noodles, lashings of sliced beef and beef balls, enough broth to bathe a small child in and garnished with a paddock of been sprouts, it was a sight to behold. The waitstaff must have been training for weeks to carry them out.

The air was rich with the fragrance of beef broth and bravado.

So many people, so many wasted noodles

Now before you get too excited, I of course had to complicate matters and do my own version of the challenge. Jumbo Pho, hold the beef. Luckily they could make up a version that used chicken meat with a combination of chicken and pork stock, but this took a decent amount of pleading with our waitress. Once they realised I was happy to not have my attempt count officially (they were clearly fearful of my eating abilities) then they were happy to oblige, and our orders were in.

No turning back now, the aPHOcalypse was about to descend upon us.

Smiling through the fear, and stealing a beer from my housemate momentarily for size comparison (top photo courtesy of Chris from Bon Viveur)

It is difficult to properly capture the size of these bowls. They were massive. I have a pretty decent sized head and I think these bowls were bigger. I’m sure there’s some rule about not eating anything bigger than your head.

After a good few minutes of eating our food blogger instincts took over momentarily and we wasted valuable time posing for a series of photographs on everyone’s cameras. This did however have the bonus of allowing the burningly hot soup to cool ever so slightly, though not quite enough as I soon learnt that gorging hot noodles whilst hunched over an enormous steaming bowl on a warm Perth night is a sweaty business. If only we’d had the foresight to bring fan slaves (minus the feeding of grapes)!

Wasting valuable time posing for photographs. Fools!

As the end of our twenty minutes grew closer is became all too apparent that this task was beyond any of us. Our consumption rate slowed noticeably and food babies began gestating. Apex began doing an impeccable impersonation of a child with something on their plate they don’t like but they think if they move it around enough it might magically disappear.

It pained us, both literally and figuratively, but we eventually admitted defeat. I was declared the winner, but I don’t think there was much in it between Chris and I. Apex, bless her, didn’t have much luck with her stirring technique but she definitely had the least amount of broth left in her bowl. I suspected her skills must lie in competitive drinking. We shall have to test this theory.

The wash up... me in front, Apex in the middle, and Chris up the back.

As we sat forlornly contemplating our bowls, Matt of Abstract Gourmet arrived to breathe new hope into our group. Victory could still be ours!

Unfortunately, despite demonstrating an impressive rate of consumption he also failed in his quest, though he did succeed in inspiring the invention of a new brow mopping technique.

The patented pho brow mop (photo courtesy of Chris from Bon Viveur)

They may take our will to eat rice noodles ever again, but they’ll never take our ability to look good whilst bursting at the seams!

The Contenders, post PhoDown (photo courtesy of Chris)

Others were more successful in their pho quests, with this guy looking suspiciously calm after wolfing down his dinner. We also witnessed the first successful completion by a female, who didn’t look quite so calm. I stopped watching her after joining in the applause as I’m not good with vomit.

We have a winner!

After paying our $20 penalties for non-completion, and feeling quite bad about the incredible amount of wasted food we had just contributed to, we took a brief digestive stroll up the road before employing our second dessert stomachs at Icey Ice. I discovered to my dismay that all of the snow ice options, even the plain green tea one, contain milk and thus are a no-go on my current lactose-free FODMAP diet, though I consoled myself with some green tea with sago pearls.

Apex and Chris putting their dessert stomachs to good use

A fun night was had by all, and it was great to meet Apex for the first time although I fear our friendship may forever be sullied with her first impression of me as a sweaty glutton. Good as always to see Chris and Matt, whom I have gluttonised with enough times now for it to be a non-issue.

Check out the write-ups by Chris, Apex and Matt to relive the magic again.

And whilst I’m in the spirit of Eat Drink Perth, I guess I should share a little something with you. A little something that is apparently being shown on the enormous screen in the Northbridge Piazza as part of the Foodie Blogger Profiles that also include Matt, though sadly his video includes no brow mopping.

(I have to add, I was watching updates about the situation in Japan as I typed this, and can’t help but feel terribly guilty that I could participate in such food wasting folly when they are struggling through such a heartbreaking situation. If you can spare any cash, two options for where to send your donations are the Australian Red Cross and Save the Children Australia.)

erin March 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Holy what? A kilogram of noodles? Eff.That.Noise.

I don’t think I’ve ever finished a regular bowl of pho, let alone a jumbo bowl. And 20 minutes? Are they trying to kill people? The people who actually finish would have to have had a pretty painful “sleep” that night (probably more like a food coma interspersed with severe indigestion).

Still, awesome that you took on the challenge. I was trying to convince some of my friends to do it but I’m kind of glad we haven’t, because a] I don’t think I really have $20 to contribute towards a bowl of barely eaten noodles at the moment, or b] I might actually manage to finish and be SO embarrassed.

I think Apex’s effort is hilarious and really cute. I’m sure she ate a boatload of noodles but it kinda looks like she barely touched it at all :P

Conor March 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Seriously. I’m not sure how many hundreds of grams of noodles I ate, but it was multiple. Maybe 600g? I dunno, something ridiculous. My food baby was glorious. I would have gone and caught random buses to get the priority seat, but the time of night meant I would have been able to get it anyway :(

I actually felt hungover today. I had a noodle hangover. It was weird.

Also, yes, Apex’s effort looks super cute. She actually ate a fair bit but in that enormous bowl, and next to ours, it looks like nothing!

erin March 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Was it MSG-laden? That makes me feel drunk at the time and hungover the next day.

Otherwise it might’ve just been a foodover. Did you wake up hungry, though? I aaaalways wake up so hungry the morning after a huge meal, which is annoying.

I’m having pho for dinner tomorrow night, before an evening of drinking and dancing. I don’t think I will be eating jumbopho or even much of my regularpho or I won’t be able to move.

Conor March 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I didn’t have any of my usual MSG symptoms, so I don’t think so..?

I think it was just a good old foodover. It was actually really uncomfortable just lying in bed last night, I shouldn’t have drunk so much bubble tea dessert. I was feeling ok before that.

And yes, woke up ravenous. That always happens to me. My stomach is so suggestible.

The thought of dancing after what we did last night makes me feel woozy. I probably could have managed a nice slow sway. I suspect you’re not going out slow swaying though.

OohLookBel March 17, 2011 at 7:24 pm

You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I love how the ‘after’ photos of the pho eaters look like optimistic ‘before’ pics. Great effort. Can’t help thinking that maybe you should have stretched your stomachs beforehand by tucking into an all-you-can-eat buffet. Oh well, there’s always next time :)
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Treasure chest of Jewelled Rice

Conor March 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Thank you! :D
You know, your Gunga Din reference is also quite fitting when it comes to pre-planning for this endeavour. Some ganga would probably have come in useful ;)

panamahat March 17, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Omigod I feel full just looking at those great big bowls of noodles. Great if you were needing to carb up for an ironman comp, but otherwise….
panamahat´s last blog post ..Oversight

Conor March 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Chances of getting all Ironman-y this year are looking slim to Buckley’s :( We started off on the wait list for the Busso Half Ironman at number 42, and after many weeks find ourselves at number 39. Harrumph!

I have no excuse for such carb loading.

Karen Harris March 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I love pho but even I couldn’t finish off one of these bowls. Great interview Conor. Wonderful story about your grandparents farm. I also have stories about childhood foraging on my granparents land only we had to make do with wild blackberries and pomegranates. Our stained fingers and clothing used to drive my mother mad.
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..Homemade Pappardelle and Life Outside My Comfort Zone

Conor March 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Thanks Karen! Oh, wild blackberries? So delicious and so very packed with evidence. Glorious, stain producing, juicy evidence :D

foodie cravings March 17, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Oh my, the bowl of pho is larger than I had imagined – good effort Conor! I’m trying to suss out which of my pho loving friends have a large enough appetitive to come with me! If they changed the beef to chicken for you, do you think they’ll leave out the beans sprouts for me? If beans sprouts are in, I’ll be out in no time as usually when I forget to ask for no beans sprouts I spent up to 20 minutes fishing them out of my bowl!

Btw great interview :)
foodie cravings´s last blog post ..Going wild with Grizzly Bear Pancakes @ Wild Fig!

Conor March 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Yep, ’twas massive. I was psyching myself up for something enormous and at first it didn’t look too scary, but on second glance I realised the folly of my relief.

They seem pretty strict on the rules, so although I am sure they’d probably leave out the bean sprouts for you I am not sure they would allow it to be an ‘official’ entry in the competition. I was fine with my effort not counting officially, given I had realistic expectations of my eating skills :)

Thanks :) :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 17, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Oh Conor you did so well! And you’ve eaten the most out of your bowl! I’m declaring you a victor anyway!

Conor March 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thank you! I will gladly accept your praise and do a victory dance, now that I have digested the noodles!

Woot woot!

chris @ bonviveur March 17, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Ah yes, it was valiant effort by all of us, but alas, it was not meant to be. Still, it was good fun trying though. I can imagine the level of wastage from all the half eaten bowls would have been horrific.

Great night out otherwise and a nice mid-week break from the routine.
chris @ bonviveur´s last blog post ..A genteel afternoon

Conor March 18, 2011 at 7:53 am

I am kinda glad that we didn’t up the ante of our break from the routine by having to rush to the hospital with exploded stomachs, so I’m willing to accept our failure.

If we had that full hour though, it may have ended differently!

Yes, so much wastage, I’m trying not to think about it too much :(

Adrian @ The Aussie Bite March 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Pity you didn’t win the challenge, but you did an amazing job after losing time taking photos.

I was considering going to this… well for about a split second before I thought about how sick I would feel eating that much food (my stomach isn’t what it used to be). Sadly, my other potential excuse for going – a former schoolmate who eats two main courses in any normal meal, works on Wednesday nights thus saving me either massive stomach pains or total embarrassment.

Hopefully after all that, the pho was actually good…
Adrian @ The Aussie Bite´s last blog post ..The Quarter- Perth

Conor March 18, 2011 at 7:57 am

Thanks Adrian! I know what you mean – I think this is more suited to adolescent boys with their apparent TARDIS stomachs. I haven’t noticed a huge reduction in my stomach abilities over the years, but I’m sure it’s happened. Still, I think a regular double main course eater would have a good crack, shame they won’t be able to make it!

The actual taste was ok. Mine was very plain but I didn’t have the proper pho. My friend who had a regular sized beef one said it was super aromatic and delicious.

tasteofbeirut March 18, 2011 at 7:03 am

You are too funny! and I thought only in America do we have jumbo everything! This is too much for a human to eat ; maybe a family of 6 from one plate?

Conor March 18, 2011 at 8:01 am

The novelty factor was pretty cool, as we tend not to be big on jumbo anything! I wonder if this will be a growing trend, let’s hope not ;)

I am sure a family of 6, or possibly a large ape, or a couple who had just run a marathon, could happily have eaten their dinner from this. Sadly I am none of the above!

Apex@blueapocalypse March 18, 2011 at 9:34 am

Nice write up Conor!

It was great to meet you too for the first time and discover that we have many other shared interests and I believe our friendship will extend beyond food fests…and besides Perth is really small so there is no way we can esacpe each other!

I admit that my attempt at the pho eating was quite pathetic and I will probably never live this down but I hope that my five highs were good enough. Maybe I should have spent more time preparing for pho rather than rehearsing high fives.

Conor March 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Thanks little lady! I must agree, there will be no escaping each other now. Especially after your suggestion of dim sum ;)

Your high five skills are second to none. I could definitely tell that you had been practicing. I’m glad mine weren’t too lame after I wasted my time preparing for the eating.

Apex@blueapocalypse March 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

I mean escape! THERE IS NO ESCAPE!

Conor March 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

After doing a pho competition with someone, you can rest assured that slight spelling errors will go unnoticed :D

Monica March 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

OMG Conor. Tremendous effort :) I think all that noodle would have bound me up for the rest of the week :| It was nice of What The Who to do what they can to unbeef the Pho for you.

Now I want Pho…
Monica´s last blog post ..Peanut Butter- Cranberry &amp Chia Seed Cookies

Conor March 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thank you! You know, the next day was not too bad which I put slightly down to the pho being so FODMAP friendly. I think if it had been that much pasta, or bread or something it may have been a different story :|

Meggy March 18, 2011 at 11:03 am

I wonder if you are going to show this page to your Dietician!
Icey Ice is my eternal weakness.. the mango with condensed milk is soley my reason for sudden weight gain. Although THAT i could get through about 3 Jumbo’s of easily.. i wish they had such a competition.
The Icey Ice in Vic park actually started giving us samples of new flavours they were trying and other things as well.. i think when staff start doing that, you realise you have a problem.
You can also rest easy that despite the volume it was Fodmap friendly and the steam probably cleansed your pores as you poured over it.
I am so proud of you all for your various attempts!
Did you see the Japanese Girl that eats one? that was amazing!

Conor March 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Meggy I think this experience is going to remain a nice little secret between me and my closest blog reading friends. Shhhhhhhh.

Last time I got some bubble tea from Icey Ice in Harbour Town the nice man working there (he was super duper nice, suspiciously good customer service) gave me a very generously sized tasting of a new ice flavour.

I think the FODMAP friendliness of the ridiculous overload of food made a huge different to the aftermath of the overindulgence, and my skin has been looking good this week…. hmmm, perhaps we can market this as a new beauty product?

omg I did see that Japanese girl with the ramen. INSANE!

Meggy March 21, 2011 at 8:23 am

My theory is that the Icey Ice workers are secretly brainwashing us with their delicious treats.. maybe they are laced with something addictive and that leaves you craving more.
This summer they’ve given me more brainfreeze than any adult needs to have.
I am so going to try the FODMAP if it made my skin look a trillionth as magnificent.

Bring on the pho – full steam ahead

food sponge March 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hilarious!! I didn’t even think about doing this pho challenge – I can’t even finish a normal sized bowl at Tra Vinh! I can’t believe you could even think about eating dessert afterwards ;)

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Long live the magic of the separate dessert stomach!!

Cakelaw March 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Congrats on a valiant effort – you did well!!
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..FFwD – Salted Butter Breakups

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thank you!

Maria @ Scandifoodie March 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Haha that looks like fun! I doubt I’d do very well in this competition though ;-)

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Maybe as part of a team, Maria? ;)

Hannah March 18, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I am, in a word, ridiculouslyinaweofyourightnow. I got through phases where I crave pho, and I’ve never even been able to finish a regular-sized bowl. I always have to ask for the small (which, I swear, isn’t small. Really. Please believe me.)

I also am ridiculouslyinaweofyour gorgeousness after surely creating a broth foodbaby. This gives me great hope for how stunning you shall be whilst creating my god children.

P.S. I have a quest for you. In the top photo, there is a man on the left in a blue-ish shirt. Please track him down and give him my number. He is cute.

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

So, you’re saying it’s small in a small-box-of-popcorn way? I guess I can still respect you then.

Although I love you for your loveliness, I’m reluctant to draw parallels between foodbaby and godchildren creation. This foodbaby was created after being presented with a contract, in a crowded room and racing against the clock.

The mystery man in the blue-ish shirt, if you mean the guy with his hands on his knees, actually finished his pho. He probably spends his time flitting around the world, forever chasing the glory of the next eating competition – is that the kind of life you want to lead?

Hannah March 25, 2011 at 9:39 am

I could dab his forehead with my handkerchief.
Hannah´s last blog post ..Bumblebees! That was a lie

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Um. A KILO of noodles? Are you serious? I would have keeled over. You guys did a great job though and I can’t believe there was someone who finished. He must be crazy!

LOVED the video and you know what – some of my first memories of food involve my nana’s almond tree too…

I’m going to play that video every time I miss you and pretend you are here :)
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..French Fridays with Dorie- Salted butter break-ups

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Come on Mardi, this from a girl who orders a beer larger than her head? You’re too modest ;)

THANK YOU :) Now we both have videos of each other to watch!

P.S. Stop watching it for a while though… I think you somehow spread your germs to me through youtube! Boo!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm

It’s viral, you can’t catch it. If I were wittier, I would think of a joke about your video going viral….
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..Good eats in La Paz Baja California Sur- Mexico

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Aw, my wit has left the building with my good health! Given our matching degree of unwittiness, lets just both chuckle at the joke that could have been.

msihua March 19, 2011 at 7:30 am

A whole kilo? Holy Molly… more importantly.. was it tasty??? I mean if it wasn’t and you had to eat a whole kilo.. that would be torture… and easy to lose right??? Right?!
msihua´s last blog post ..Porkfest! – A Pigout Session by Paul Cooper &amp Greenvale Farm

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm

It was tasty, yes, but pretty plain. Not overly fragrant. I guess this was a good thing given the volume! Wasn’t too torturous :D

pierre March 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

when I see the face of the winner .. it is better you did not win ; all this looks so festive lucky people !!Here in Paris spring bursts out finally this is the end of that damned winter !!!
see you !!Pierre
pierre´s last blog post ..Primavera petits pois gingembre- courgette- roquette poudre de tomate

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I think you might be right, Pierre. I am sure my facial expression would have been a little different if I’d poked any more of those noodles in.

Hooray! Happy spring to you! We’re still seemingly in summer. Sweat sweat sweat even when not eating kilos of noodles and broth..

Gourmetgetaways March 20, 2011 at 1:37 pm

OMG!!! You are so tiny I can’t even believe you contemplated attempting a Pho eating competition. You truely are a crazy women :)

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Ha! Call me crazy if you must, you won’t be the first ;)

Katherine March 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm

YAYYYY Conor I love the video. Your blog gave me an insight into your personality and it certainly shows in the video. You are always so happy. BTW I love Pho. OMG its so yummy. Except I dont think I would have been able to finish that big bowl myself.
Katherine´s last blog post ..Spice It Up – Buffalo Wings with a Blue Cheese Dressing

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Aw thanks so much Katherine, you’ve just contributed to the happiness :D

Trix March 21, 2011 at 3:07 am

I feel just a tiny bit nauseous but simultaneously in awe of you. It’s always the thin ones who can eat like nobody’s business. Why is that? When I lived in New York, I always watched the July 4th hot dog eating competition at Nathan’s in Coney Island. And this skinny Japanese guy always won (in fact, his technique of dipping the bun in water and eating it separately from the dog was officially dubbed “Japanesing”) and these big giant Brooklyn guys couldn’t even hold a candle to him.
Kudos to you.
And I know what you mean about the Japan situation … I have given money but it doesn’t feel like enough to do …

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Oh man Trix, I have no comment about those crazy proper competition eaters. I think they have little tiny TARDISes in their stomachs. Or magic portals.

Having said that, thank you! I think I managed to shovel that much in due to spending an hour lifting weights and then another half hour running around my local lake in an attempt to prepare my stomach for the impending food overload… I guess to find out if this helped at all I’d have to do it again without the exercise preparation. Hmm…

Pachecopatty March 21, 2011 at 4:47 am

I love this post! Congratulations on the PhoDown and all the fun you had participating in such an auspicious event;-) I would like a crack at that big bowl of Pho as it is lunch time here and I’m feeling Pho-ish;-)

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Thanks Patty! I wonder if in addition to being auspicious it is also inaugural and set to happen again next year…. perhaps I could start my training regime!

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager March 21, 2011 at 6:29 am

Ooh – I would have loved to have been a part of this – I can’t resist an challenge or the promise of pho! Although, the thought that I could be turned off pho for ages after is offputting too. Good effort on trying to get through – that looks like one colossal bowl!
Forager @ The Gourmet Forager´s last blog post ..Foraging for pine mushrooms and yabbies in Belanglo State Forest

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I wonder if they would have let you forage your own bean sprouts and coriander to top it off? Surely non regulation but worth asking ;)
Thanks!

Bryt March 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Oooooh, I dunno if I would have the guts (har har :P) to even attempt it! Does look like good fun though :)

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Pfffft, you dag :D

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz March 22, 2011 at 6:46 am

You insane woman…even attempting this. I know right away it would have failed. But this is a very cool event for sure and you seemed to be in great company. I love the pho brow mop! Nice video too!
Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz´s last blog post ..IIP- Cracking for Nostalgia

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Aw you with your lack of faith, Evelyne! I’ll show you! Watch this space!

Once I collect some more mopping napkins and another stomach..

Tracey@Tangled Noodle March 22, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I usually enjoy eating vicariously through others’ experiences, but this is a whole ‘nother matter! Pho is one of my favorite dishes, but in this case, it is definitely too much of a good thing. Still, I congratulate you on a stellar effort. 8-D
Tracey@Tangled Noodle´s last blog post ..Celebrating St Patrick of Ireland and Iowa- Oaten Honeycomb

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Happily Tracey, it did not ruin it for me and I’ve lived to enjoy multiple bowls since!
Thanks :D

5 Star Foodie March 23, 2011 at 5:12 am

wow, how fun! Those bowls are absolutely huge, I really couldn’t even eat a half of one, you’re so brave :)

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I had a filling bowl of it for lunch today, which I guess would have been about a third of the size of this jumbo one. It made me realise how much of a losing battle this whole undertaking was!

Adrian in Food Rehab March 23, 2011 at 9:54 am

Dayem Conor! All those carbs LOL I can’t even hoove down a large bowl of Pho.

But I do like the ‘Phodown!”
Adrian in Food Rehab´s last blog post ..Meeting the other side of Poh Ling Yeow

Conor March 24, 2011 at 10:54 pm

It was Carb City, Adrian. Carbs to the MAXXX!

Mans March 24, 2011 at 12:02 am

Great post! And impressive attempt too! Mmm… Pho.

Was the chicken and pork Pho any good?
We have our Malay Borneo style noodle soup too. Soto. Normally made of chuck bones and fragrant spices. Sooo good! Of course, if I was cooking for you, you would have the equally delicious chicken soto (very different from the Indonesian or Malaysian soto here), broth made with chicken carcass and mild spices.
Oh u guys would be the perfect bunch to feed and cook for!!! I would even cook using some of my family’s most sacred recipes!
Mr Matt would probably need to get some speed on that brow-wipe technique if he added “lada rindu” (the special chilli sauce. HOT!) into a bowl of soto. Next time u guys are in Borneo, u must try it!

Thanks for making me crave for some soto or Pho now! Now, I’m going to have to
wait for another 9 hours or so before I can go to the Asian shop tomorrow to get
ingredients. I need some Pho. Now.

Conor March 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Thank you!

The chicken and pork version was ok, but not terribly flavoursome. It was quite pleasant, and perhaps perfect for speed eating as it wasn’t overbearing in any aspect. If I were eating purely for pleasure then I think I’d definitely prefer some of this chicken soto! You have totally got me back for your craving by making me crave soto despite having not eaten it before. At 11pm. Well done.

Mans March 24, 2011 at 12:38 am

Ps: I just realized my comment above made me sound like an obsessed reader!
Lol. I must admit I’m slightly obsessed with food and cooking and I absolutely love people like you guys who loves to eat. I’m no chef and don’t aspire to be one, ever. But I do love cooking! My poor family and friends have accused me of over feeding them, countless times. (i think they still love me. I hope) although I have been blamed for the extra gym fees that they have to fork out!
Look, I’m just going to say this out loud :
You lot are my dream dinner party guests in Perth! Oh and chuck in Liz from
Breakfast in Perth, Mr The Aussie Bite, Ms My Wey of Life, TFP and the awesome foursome from Beaufort street blog! Perfect!!

Conor March 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I fully respect food obsession :D

That sounds like one mighty dinner party. The amount of food we could get through as a group would be a thing spoken of in hushed, awed tones for years to come. They may have to invent a new stretchy fabric for the pants required on that night.

betty March 24, 2011 at 6:17 am

a pho down – hahaha – good one :O)
betty´s last blog post ..Chefs Gallery

Conor March 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Hehe thanks Betty :)

Sweets by Vicky March 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm

VERY VALIANT EFFORT INDEED! :) :) Well done! And your pigtails are awesome. :)
Sweets by Vicky´s last blog post ..Homemade Oreos

Conor March 24, 2011 at 11:06 pm

THANK YOU!!
Tee hee, I thought it best to get my hair back as I suspected the heat factor might be an issue. Still could have done with an industrial sized fan to counteract the hot broth+hot night+chopstick overexertion factor ;)

mademoiselle délicieuse March 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oh goodness! It is scary just looking at the photos. I believe a ravenous teenage boy may have the best chances of conquering something as big as that. I don’t normally drink all the soup in a standard bowl of pho, let alone this!
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Food bloggers’ dinner at Garfish Manly- 14 March 2011

Conor March 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Teenage boys are blessed with magical stomachs of TARDIS proportions. Their poor mothers. At least these days with online shopping you can have a constant stream of bread and eggs and chips delivered to the house, I guess.

Agnes March 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Whoa kids, that is a massive bowl of pho! Kudos for the amount you got through, it was an almighty effort!

Conor March 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Agnes! :D

ylenate March 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Well done on the Phodown (even if you guys had to admit defeat)! Also, congrats on the video!

Conor March 27, 2011 at 10:29 pm

We may have lost the battle but we won the war of each others’ hearts. Or something. I think the noodles are still affecting my brain.

Thank you! :)

Simply Life March 31, 2011 at 9:03 am

Ha, looks like a fun experience!
Simply Life´s last blog post ..Vegetable Stir-Fry with Flat Noodles

Conor March 31, 2011 at 6:24 pm

It is hard not to have a fun time when my sister and I travel.

Angie July 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Mmmmm…. pho… :)

Did you know that in Sydney they have a 1kg Japanese noodle challenge? Or at least they used to!
Angie´s last blog post ..For the love of Black Truffles! – Interview with Western Australia’s Wine and Truffle Co.