Post image for International Cake Pops Incident – Cake-atoos

International Cake Pops Incident – Cake-atoos

April 17, 2011 · 93 comments

In a house not so large as to impress thieves, but large enough to impress those who officially aren’t, Olive and her husband Mick have not spoken for a decade. Olive went silent on him when he let her budgie die, and they are now locked in desperate communication through written notes. A stray cockatoo softens the decade long stand-off between husband and wife, but as more cockatoos descend, a peaceful world is tragically shattered. (“The Cockatoos” synopsis)

If only Mick had thought to make Olive some apology cake pops, this situation would have been sorted out years ago.

International Incident Cake Pops Party

Cake pops, you ask? Imagine some tasty cake mooshed up with tasty icing/frosting, rolled into a ball and then covered in a candy or chocolate coating. Pretty good, right? Now imagine it ON A STICK. As my housemate has said many times – there just aren’t enough foods on sticks. For too long the horrifying Dagwood Dog has been the forerunner when it comes to stickified foodstuffs, but in this latest instalment of the International Incident Party we’re trying to address this situation.

I started off on the sticky theme quite splendidly by finding myself stuck for an idea. Luckily some virtual eucalyptus oil came in the form of an invitation to a script reading by my lovely friend Renee’s theatre company Happy Dagger Theatre, for a stage adaptation of “The Cockatoos” by Patrick White.

You see, I have a bit of a thing for birds, and I have a particular thing for cockatoos (Exhibit A: my earrings in my video for Eat Drink Perth). I’m not much of an ornithologist, but give me a lineup of tweets and squawks and I can pick out a Carnaby’s Black-Cockatoo call every time.

There was thus only one thing for it – I had to make cockatoo cake pops.

The blueprints

Cake pops have been made famous in the past couple of years by the blogger Bakerella, who has now published a book about them. Bakerella likes to make her cake pops using packet cakes and canned frosting. Call me a snob if you will (I promise I won’t set many cockatoos upon you), but I see no point in resorting to weird ingredient filled packet mixes when it’s so easy to make a great vanilla cake or chocolate cake using only one bowl and minimal ingredients. I have no idea if canned frosting is even available in Australia, but I have pretty similar views to that as well so I also made my own.

Despite my soft spot for the black cockatoos, the Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos are such an Australian icon, and probably the type of cockies in White’s story, so I thought I should make some of them as well.

And I flew, I flew so far away..

Cake-atoos

You will need:

• Baked and cooled vanilla cake (I used my go-to recipe, multiplied by 2/3)
  • Baked and cooled chocolate cake (I made my vegan choc orange cake)
  • 1-2 cups basic buttercream
  • 1-2 cups chocolate frosting
  • White chocolate melts
  • Milk/dark chocolate melts
  • Banana lollies and mini glace orange/lemon halves for the head feathers
  • Yoghurt or white chocolate coated sultanas
  • Milk/dark chocolate coated sultanas
  • Lollipop sticks (I bought mine from a baking supplies store)

Method

1. Crumble the two cakes into separate bowls. Mix in enough of their respective frostings so that you end up with a consistency that holds its shape. Refrigerate the mixtures until firm – at least a couple of hours, I left mine overnight.

First make a delicious cake. Then rip it to shreds.

2. Once fully chilled, you can form the cake mixture into the bird shapes. I made full birds and bird heads, made little dents in them to house the noses and head feathers, and also attached halved chocolate melts to the full birds for their wings. I did all of this using gloved hands to minimise any stickiness.

They're naked! Avert your gaze!

3. I then attached the sticks by first dipping the ends into some melted chocolate then poking them in where I thought the centre of mass would lie. And then, into the fridge to really chill before the next step. You could pop them in the freezer for a while too, to speed this up.

4. I melted a lot of chocolate for the next bit, then kept it over a double boiler at a low heat while I coat them. I learnt the hard way that you want the naked birds to stay chilled while you do this, so I found it best to take them out of the fridge one at a time as I worked. I dipped each bird in the chocolate to coat it, removed it, then twirled it carefully around to let the extra chocolate run off. Before it set I then added the noses and the head feathers for the heads, then poked them in some styrofoam to set properly.

5. After they had fully dried I added some eyes with little dobs of chocolate writing icing (you could use normal melted chocolate for this too).

Letting him stretch his wings out in the garden

The final finish wasn’t as smooth as I would have liked, but what is life without a few ruffled feathers occasionally?

You talkin' to me, punk?

I thought that most of the sulphur-crested heads looks more like koalas. Punked up koalas. Jolly sunshiny punked up koalas.

Wishing forlornly he could eat his own head

I felt a little guilty that the drying chocolate had formed jowls on some of the cockatoos. No one likes jowls (unless they’re on Horace Rumpole).

Does a nose by any other form smell as sweet?

Although I sadly could only stay long enough at the reading to drop off the Cake-atoos, I hear it was a “very lyrical and intense experience” and am sure the play itself will be a winner – follow Happy Dagger on Facebook to keep up to date with its progress.

Whether enjoying the cockies was as intense an experience I’m not sure, but I did hear they were very much enjoyed and a few lucky ones got taken home to find refuge in their favourite habitat of the stomachs of small children.

I’ll leave you with some of the spunkier cockies who have clearly had to bust a few Western Long-billed Corellas out of their nesting spots – be it through a good old fashioned head butt, or the tried and true poo-in-your-face method.

Ol' Scarface and Ol' Poo-in-ya-Face

And finally, of course, please check out the other cake pop creations, and a MASSIVELY SUPER HAPPY FUN TIME YAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our ever lovely host Penny.

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite April 17, 2011 at 9:09 am

OH MY GOD. I am literally speechless. So much talent. I may have to come back later and comment when I have words to describe my awe.
Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite´s last blog post ..French Fridays with Dorie- Vanilla éclairs on Saturday

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm

:D
Thank you Mardi!!! It’s a good thing you can still type when rendered speechless :)

(by the way – so jealous of you and Penny hanging out soon! Wish I could come play!)

Steph April 17, 2011 at 9:15 am

OMG!!!!! I’m dying. DYING! These are so amazing. I’ve always wondered if it was possible to make bird-themed desserts look as cute as read birdies and you’ve gone and done it perfectly. Ohh the little crests! and those little beaks! And the eyes!!! Love love love.

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Coming from the Queen of Cute, this makes me grin! Thanks Steph! And I uh, promise you the birdies all went home and are living long and prosperous lives and no harm will ever come to them. Ever.

penny aka jeroxie April 17, 2011 at 10:01 am

wicked!!!!!! you shaped the cake…. I wish I had your brains to come up with shapes. So how did you eat them? eat or tail first?

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thanks birthday girl! I have no idea how they were eaten… I didn’t make them gluten free, so my still-gluten-free-state means I did not partake! I also didn’t pay enough attention when my housemate ate the one I left for her, boo.

Kimmie April 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

These turned out absolutely adorable! Your cakeatoos are just too too cute!

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thank you Kimmie! Glad you like em :D

Bryt April 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

You’re showing some serious talent with those cake pops!
And thanks for the choc stout link- everyone’s Easter baskets have turned into booze baskets by now. No one will complain though :D

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Thanks Bryt!
Excellent, booze baskets ahoy! I’ve never thought to do that before, but it really is a brilliant idea given that everyone always has so very much chocolate at this time of year.

Rochelle April 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Cockatoos! Too adorable! I wish I had had time be more creative with mine like you have here, and they came out SO good too :)
Rochelle´s last blog post ..Arroz de Galinha Reinvented – A Daring Cook’s Challenge

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Rochelle! And don’t be silly, your deranged beaver is fantastic. I can still see his crazy eyes peering into my soul…

Maya April 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

HAHAHA, you just never disappoint, do you Conor? I’m amazed and in awe of your bird tweets recognition talent and Cakeatoo-making expertise! All your cake pops featured here seem to have their own characters too, and the one I like best is the one with the jowls. Incredible work here, Your Royal Wittiness!

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Oh Maya you’ll make my head swell up too large to fit into my bedroom door and I’ll have to sleep in the loungeroom and get my housemate to bring me food and supplies as I can’t fit out the front door either, it will be a disaster!

Also, jowls FTW ;)

Michelle April 17, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I am kinda glad my kid’s asleep as I read this delicious post. I am drooling… poor cockies wouldn’t have lasted any time here at all.

That’s some talent you have!!! Will definitely be visiting you again… with or without the birds :-)

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Michelle, and welcome! Particularly to such an avid Arsenal fan – I don’t follow it at all but my family back in the UK are all totally mad Arsenal supporters so I guess if I had to pick a team it would be them (possibly to present being disowned if nothing else).

Hannah April 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Oh, Conor! How on earth did so much smartiecleversupremityness get to be inside that one gorgeous head of yours? If I tried to do this, I would’ve drawn stick figure people with beaks for my diagrams, then ended up with misshapen creatures that looked like they’d emerged from an evil lagoon. Yours, on the other hand, look not only cute but impressively like cockatoos!

I’m totally even going to forgive you for using horrible banana lollies as decoration ;)
Hannah´s last blog post ..Cadbury Mini Eggs for a Topsy-Turvy Week

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I don’t buy these claims for one second, miss! They would surely look like having come from a delicious lagoon of delight! A delagoon!

Never fear, you could just eat the non-nana ones. In fact, that’s why I made those ones. Just for you. They seem to have gotten a little waylaid on the trip over, but if my friend’s play tours to Canberra I’ll make them promise to deliver some to you :)

Kath Lockett April 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Too. Adorable. Head. About. To. Explode…..!

Actually they’ve got me all teary because we’re about to pack up and move to Geneva so to see such Aussie cuties makes me want to go out and make a few!

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I can’t believe I only just learnt this! I read your comment about 10 times trying to figure out where the joke was, or how I was misinterpreting it, but you do actually mean you are moving to Geneva! Good grief Kath, I agree it’s all terribly head explody!

msihua April 17, 2011 at 4:38 pm

You’re amazing! These look soooooo bloody cute! I want to hug them then eat them.. ahahahha
msihua´s last blog post ..International Incident Cake Pops Party – Nutella Cake Pops

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:50 pm

And you’re sweet! Thank you! You just can’t hug them for too long unless you don’t mind being covered in melted chocolate :D

OohLookBel April 17, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Bakerella, eat your heart out! These are brilliant, especially the inspired use of banana lollies! PS: What’a wrong with dagwood dogs? NOTHING!
OohLookBel´s last blog post ..Black-and-white-and-red-all-over cheesecake

Conor April 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Hehe, I can imagine her mixing her heart with cans of frosting before eating it ;)

Thank you! Although, I witnessed a LOT of dagwood dog consumption at the footy today and, with the smell of them still so fresh in my mind, I stand by my assessment. I shall not waver!

Anncoo April 17, 2011 at 11:41 pm

OMG!! These are so cute and thank very much for the tutorial :) Love it so much!
Anncoo´s last blog post ..My First Cake Pops!

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My pleasure, thank you!! :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets April 18, 2011 at 12:00 am

Wow these are so adorable with the fruit tops. You really got creative with this one!
Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets´s last blog post ..Guest Post- Watercress and Avocado Salad

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Thank you! Any excuse to have a little extra treat to eat :)

ylenate April 18, 2011 at 12:08 am

Awesome awesomeness … these Cake-atoos take the cake! I especially like the banana lollies – they make for the perfect cresents. Oh, and I think I would be a little afraid of canned frosting …

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm

The best type of awesomeness! :D Thanks! The best part was that I accidentally bought too many banana lollies. Oh dear, shame shame.

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz April 18, 2011 at 2:42 am

Oh great Cake Pop Queen I bow down on the ground humbly before you. OMG they are stunning, you are amazing, move over bakerella

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Arise, Lady Evelyne! You shall be my royal Quebecoise sidekick! You will gain many royal subjects (even more than now) and everyone will be copying your style – soon Montreal will be covered in flour decorated ladies ;)

MaryMoh April 18, 2011 at 5:18 am

Oh Conor, I always love your creativity. Your cake-atoos look too cute! I think I would use them for decorations or as a gift :D
MaryMoh´s last blog post ..Wontons For Dinner From Cookery School Cookbook

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thank you Mary! Just don’t use them for decorations if you have cats on the prowl :)

Maria @ Scandifoodie April 18, 2011 at 10:31 am

They look so adorable! :-) What a fun idea!
Maria @ Scandifoodie´s last blog post ..Amaranth and quinoa stuffed capsicums

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Thanks Maria!

Cherrie April 18, 2011 at 10:32 am

ZOMG Conor! no wonder you needed blue prints. These look incredible. A job well done

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Thank you Cherrie! Any excuse to draw up blueprints :D

Meggy April 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I love cakepops. I think someone went a little crazy with it and made macaron pops but i think thats an acquired taste, i mean who doesn’t love cake? and more importnatly bite sized cake that doesnt mess up your hands? it’s kind of like some sort of genious move to create cake thats also userfriendly.
I really would like some cake now.
Your little cockies with their fruit head fans look super delicious.

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm

The anti-mess is a total selling point with these Meggy, but then there’s that dangerous moment.. when you’re heading towards the end and not sure which bits to eat next because you can sense something is going to fall off. Perhaps not so stressful with cake, but it’s quite an issue when we’re talking about ice cream. Losing that precious last chunk off the stick is so upsetting.

Meggy April 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

I think the cake would be more cohesive with the stick, as opposed to icecream, whose very melting nature would give way to such fallen soldiers of deliciousness. The only way around this would to be eat quickly and then look forlornly that it all ended too suddenly and have another one.

Conor April 19, 2011 at 10:12 am

Fallen soldiers of deliciousness? This is my phrase of the day! Said with Martika playing softly in the background…
“Step by step, heart to heart, left right left, we all fall off, like lost icecream”

Meggy April 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

and then it could break into
I feel the icecream move under my popstick, i feel drips tumblin down… tumblin down i feel my tongue all a trembling whenever icecreams arouuuuundddd ooh baby!

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Wow. Just, wow.

panamahat April 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm

ooh, YEAH. Heaven on a stick!! You truly do rock.

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:31 pm

No you rock! OK now you hang up first. No you.

Arwen from Hoglet K April 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Even if black cockatoos are nicer in real life, I can’t resist a good sulphur crest made of lolly bananas. They’re gorgeous!

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Yep Arwen, the sulphurs certainly win on the nana lolly count! And maybe if they look tastier, it’ll help the critically endangered black ones to come back :)
Thanks!

Cakelaw April 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm

OMG – these are gorgeous! The best cake pops ever, IMHO.
Cakelaw´s last blog post ..Gluten free- dairy free pear cupcakes

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Whoa, thank you!! :D

Janine April 18, 2011 at 4:36 pm

The cockies look fantastic – I especially like Scarface ;p And I bet the fruit tops tasted create with the melts and cake.. mmm yum!
Janine´s last blog post ..Portuguese Egg Tarts- Pastéis de Nata

Conor April 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Thanks very much Janine :) Poor old Scarface, he’s had a rough life. A deliciously rough life.

AmandaP April 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm

These are INSANE! From the blueprints to the wings to poo-in-your-face they are too cute for words and I can only dream of having a fraction of the talent needed to pull these off:-D
AmandaP´s last blog post ..Whats up Doc

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Oh Amanda you sweet thing, thank you!

Trix April 19, 2011 at 12:40 am

I knew you are a genius, but this is just rubbing things in!! Seriously.

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Hehe, thanks Trix :D

Juliana April 19, 2011 at 9:16 am

Conor, your cake pops are so so cute…love how you made and decorated…perfect for Easter. Very creative! Have a great week :-)

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thank you Juliana! Hadn’t thought about the Easter theme but I think you’re right. Could even chuck in a few bird eggs for good measure.

Ed April 19, 2011 at 10:04 am

Very cute. You may have turned me into a cake blogger! HELP!
Ed´s last blog post ..The great Easter bun hunt

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Oh no, Ed, there’s no hope for you now. Run! Run!

chopinandmysaucepan April 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm

The chocolate cakecatoo with the orange crown looks like my best friend Herb!

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Ha! I don’t know Herb but I like him :)

Katerina April 19, 2011 at 10:59 pm

These are absolutely adorable and cute. My son and not only would go crazy for them!

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Katerina, glad to make some crazy-pants makers :)

Karen Harris April 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I can’t begin to say how adorable these are. I think you know how amazed I am by your cupcake artistry but these are right up there with them. I’ve never made a cake pop myself but now that I realized they can be sculpted, Halloween might be a little bit more, shall be say cakey, this year.
Karen Harris´s last blog post ..Groupon Tacos

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Yay, thanks Karen! Bring on Halloween!!!

Gourmetgetaways April 21, 2011 at 4:50 am

The are the cutest little cakeatoo pops ever! You have made an Avery full of these gorgeous birds! They look just amazing and so real! I loved your drawings, very artistic, maybe I should try planning my cakepops next time, I didn’t have so much success!

The question is, they are so cute, how did you bring yourself to eat them?

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Thank you!!! If only I had time to make an aviary out of…um… Fags! Or Fads, as they’re now known.

I didn’t have to bring myself to eat them, luckily, as I set them free to others to devour :)

mademoiselle délicieuse April 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oh, these are so cute! And so Australian too =D I’m not familiar with different bird breeds at all but I like bird-printed things, like scarves, wrapping paper, etc and especially when there is some interesting tree/leaf pattern as well.

…sorry, were we talking about cake?
mademoiselle délicieuse´s last blog post ..Food memories- the first time

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Thank you! Yes, I wish I were more cluey about bird species, and I have a long-ignored plan to learn more about such things, but like so many things life seems to get in the way. Like my plan to keep learning French. Hmmm..

pierre April 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm

how much fun you must have had to cook these little marvels !!Bravo to you !!
we should import them it would be a big hit in France !!
and another food tribute to aussies on my blog !!
cheers de Pierre

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Pierre! Yes, import away! We’ll be RICH and can travel the world, chasing an eternal summer!!!

Kitchen Butterfly April 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Conor- absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blown away not just by the creativity but being able to translate your ideas from paper to pop. Truly, well done and enjoy your Easter, cake pop queen…or shall I make that cockatoo

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Whoa, thanks for the exclamation mark love Oz! :) :)

Agnes April 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Conor, these are SO RAD. Now I’m glad I failed at making mine, because my efforts would have been totally pathetic compared to yours. :p

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Wooooooooo! RAD! Thank ye!

And they totally would not have been, I do declare!

Hannah @ A Foodly Affair April 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Conor, as always, I am ever so impressed!

Your cake-atoos look amazing, and they give me a brilliant idea for little one’s third birthday (which is approaching way too fast!).

H :)

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Hannah! Oooh glad to give you an idea, given the importance of a third birthday. I shall await the results :)

bunkycooks April 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

These are darling! That cake pop decorating is quite a talent you have. :)
bunkycooks´s last blog post ..On the Road to St Augustine- Florida

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Thanks Gwen!

5 Star Foodie April 27, 2011 at 11:57 am

How cool, these are just adorable!

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Cheers! :D

Sweets by Vicky April 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm

You couldn’t possible EAT THOSE! THEY ARE SO CUTE. :) seriously. You must’ve felt some sort of twinge when you did! awesome job, they’re insanely adorable, and I don’t even like birds.
Sweets by Vicky´s last blog post ..Salted Caramel Brownies

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I left that hard task up to others.. was sneaky enough to not make them gluten-free so I didn’t have any choice in the matter ;)
Thanks!!

Tracey@Tangled Noodle April 28, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Your Cake-atoos are marvelous!! I’m in awe of the thought and work put into making them. Now, if only I could coax a few of these sweet birds to flock right into my tummy… 8-)
Tracey@Tangled Noodle´s last blog post ..An International Incident- Cake Pups

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thank you Tracey! Thank god they couldn’t actually fly, my kitchen was messy enough already. I can’t be trusted to work with melted chocolate without making a laughable mess.

Magic of Spice May 1, 2011 at 1:37 am

Conor these are unbelievably adorable…Amazing in fact :)

Conor May 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thanks so much :)

Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com May 10, 2011 at 1:58 am

As always, I’m impressed by your creativity Conor! My first attempt at cake pops resulted in many upside down pops b/c only 3 could resist the force of gravity! :( Wish your cake-atoos could floy over here!
Andrea@HighLowFoodDrink.com´s last blog post ..Food Events Bake Sale for Share our Strength This Saturday!

Conor May 23, 2011 at 8:36 am

Damn gravity, it really does suck ;)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 19, 2011 at 8:59 am

OK Conor these are absolutely brilliant! Your cockatoos definitely remind me of the ones that used to visit us on our balcony. They’re eerily good! :D
Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella´s last blog post ..Slow Cooker &amp Pressure Cooker Risotto Bolognese

Conor May 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

Thanks Lorraine! Did you nibble on any of those ones? I wonder if they taste the same ;)

Jo bee September 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm

great parrots Iam now trying to make a rainbow parrot